4.2u Wii - Bootmii Not Booting IOS Or Boot2

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Labatryth, Jun 21, 2011.

Jun 21, 2011
  1. Labatryth
    OP

Member Labatryth Christian Fantasy Writer

United States
    Hi guys, Labatryth here. I have a 4.2u Wii with Priiloader .7 and HBC installed. My Wii works 100-percent normally, but this is not true in the homebrew department. I can't get Bootmii to load up when I boot my Wii, even though I have it installed as Boot2 AND IOS. My Wii just skips to the system menu. I have the bootmii folder in the root of my SD card, and am using a 2GB Micro SD Adapter Card. I've tried everything. Different SD cards, uninstalling and reinstalling Bootmii and the HBC, you name it. I really want to reflash my Wii with a clean 4.2u NAND backup so I can re-mod it. I think I have some messed up IOSs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Your settings are probably messed up in your bootmii folder on your SD card. If you delete it and reinstall bootmii as boot2, that might fix the problem. However, if you feel you have messed up IOS files, it would be easier to just reinstall/update all of your IOS files using ModMii; I see no reason to restore a NAND backup.

3. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the fast reply. I already tried deleting the folder and reinstalling. I also modified the INI to have no autoboot specified. Bootmii used to work fine as Boot2 and IOS. What is going on? I DID lose my old 2GB micro SD card and had to use another one. It's still 2 GB though. Should be compatible. What is going on?

Oh and oh yeah. When I tried to load Bootmii as IOS frtom the HBC I got a black screen and a blinking blue disc drive light.

4. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    incompatible SD card.

5. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    He was talking about the video settings being wrong, but it sounds like it's your SD card. It should be 2GB and under, but that doesn't mean that it is compatible. I suggest you buy this one because it's cheap and compatible. You can pick it up at just about any place that sells video games.

6. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    Thanks JoostinOnline. But how cheap is "cheap"?

7. JoostinOnline

United States
    Like 10 bucks.

8. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    Oh alright. Any suggestions of what else to try before I burn 10 bucks I need for Super Mario Galaxy?

9. JoostinOnline

United States
    Well you will eventually want an SD card for Bootmii, since it is the most important app to have on your Wii, but as stated above, you don't need to restore your NAND to resoftmod. Everything old will be overwritten and updated if you do a full softmod.

10. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    Awesome. If I was to reinstall System Menu 4.2u with DopMii, would Bootmii be able to be installed fresh again?

11. JoostinOnline

United States
    It's your SD card, not the System Menu. Are you trying to resoftmod because Bootmii doesn't work? That has nothing to do with the softmod; your Wii is fine. The SD card, like many others, just isn't compatible with bootmii. Unless you get a new one, or find your old one, it's not going to work.

12. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
  13. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    Hey it's nice to see you around here again Maulfrog, and thanks for the suggestion! I did what you asked and now I have Bootmii loading when I boot my Wii! I still have a couple questions though. Why is the homebrew channel black-screening when I select it in Bootmii? If I select it in my system menu all is fine. Also, now that I'm on the track to be fully hacked again, what do you suggest I do in order to make sure I fix all my messed up IOSs? One particular thing that's hard to do is to get my USB support IOS working for Wii Xplorer. I like to plug my PSP in to listen to music and stuff.

14. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    If you update ios58, run hackmii 0.8 and update boot2 bootmii, bootmii ios, and HBC, HBC should load from bootmii without issue. You probably just have an outdated bootmii that does not load the title id of your HBC.

If you wan't to update your ios and cios, either follow modmii or follow my guide, both will get your ios and cios updated. Wii explorer either loads with AHBPROT and ios58 or cios202. For USB2 via AHBPROT you need HBC 1.08 running on ios58 and an active network connection. If you don't have an active network use cios202, edit the meta.xml of wii explore and remove the "no_ios_reload" from the meta.xml, this should make it load under cios202.

Also, I don't know if the bootmii folder has anything to do with how bootmii actually functions once it is loaded, but the bootmii folder I gave you is old, so you could make a new bootmii folder via the hackmii installer. This would be done when installing bootmii ios or boot2, just delete the bootmii folder you have on the sd card before you run hackmii. Perhaps it is the outdated folder causing your issue with loading HBC.

15. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    Thanks I got Bootmii to load the HBC in both IOS and Boot2. One more problem arises though. My Wii doesn't seem to be registering my Wii Message Board friends! I register their email and Wii number (I've even registered MY OWN email), but I'm not getting a confirmation email to open up communication! I've waited a few days now, it WORKED before! What's wrong? Could this be an issue of one of my screwed up IOS's? I doubt WiiConnect 24 is broken. Periodically my Wii says "There is a Problem with the WiiConnect 24 service."

Then it disappears. Whaaaat? I receive messages from NINTENDO...and Wii Sports...

16. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

If it's the same wii as the one involved in this saga, your wc24 registration info has been messed up by flashing the "clean" nand. You'll need to do a system format (from the settings menu) to force the wii to re-register with Nintendo's servers.

17. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    Yes this Wii IS the same one in that thread. I just didn't feel like rewriting all that junk. I'm happy to say it works like a charm now! I just got Super Mario Galaxy and have been playing it for a while now! NO ERRORS! I guess I need to figure out how to backup my Wii's data, so that I don't lose anything. Any advice?

Will I lose my download data that I have from the Wii Shop Channel? Like what I've downloaded and all? I thought that was a server thing.

18. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    Okay so I formatted and all, and now it's working. Still waiting for my friend to register me though.

19. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    Thanks guys for all your help! Everything is working and I'm good to go! This thread can now be closed.