4.2E SD Card Menu is non SDHC?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bazamuffin, Oct 9, 2009.

Oct 9, 2009
  1. bazamuffin
    OP

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    I upgraded to 4.2E using zektor's offline guide, but now I can't load my 8gb SDHC to play VC/Wiiware. It keeps giving me 'The SD card inserted cannot be used' . I moved some of my games to a 2gb SD and they show up fine. When I was on 4.1E the SDHC worked flawlessly. If N's reasoning for the 4.2x update was performance enhancement, then this is a shitty enhancement.

I do have a NAND backup of the 4.1E setup, but I'm one of those people who would rather find out why it's not working than give up. Ive restored the backup to make sure its not the card and the SDHC works as normal, it's just on 4.2E that the problem arises.

2. BBking83

Member BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Well that's wierd...

My 4G works fine on 4.2.

3. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    Confusing the hell out of me. I attempted to get Triiforce working as a means to stay on 4.2E but had problems reading NAND dump

4. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I think it is your card. Copy off the contents to a folder on your PC and then use Panasonic formatter to format the card. Then, copy everything back and try again.

5. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    The card and its contents work fine on 4.1E. As soon as I update, it won't accept it.

EDIT: Just restored back to 4.1E (again) in the 'cannot be used' state and it all works perfectly.

6. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    Updated back to 4.2E, formatted card with Panasonic formatter (as per zektors advice) but its a no-go. The 2gb & 8gb are both Sandisk and have never had any problems up until this point. GRRRRRRRR!!!

7. Ramzee

Newcomer Ramzee Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I just tested an 8GB SanDisk with my SafeUpdate Install of 4.2E and that still works.

I've found a couple lost clusters on my 2GB SD since the 4.2 update came out. So it could be that one of the Auto-update homebrew apps is a bit dirty in it's file handling and so I'd check SD file system inc. looking for lost clusters (hidden files ie. Found000).

8. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    SD is spot on, clean as a whistle. I just don't see why it's working on 4.1 but not 4.2. Apps show up with the SDHC in the HBC and run fine (apart from Safe Updater, but thinks thats N's servers).

The only other time I got this message is when I inserted the SDHC into another Wii to see what would happen with VC/Wiiware. Functionally 4.2 offers nothing, but to me it feels smoother than 4.1.

Also, another thing with the offline update is that if I put in a game its asking for system update. ALL IOS's are up to date, so why is this?

9. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    All sorted, had to install IOS70 patched with Freethebug as a final step!!