Hacking 4.2 softmodded Wii resets after trying to boot any channel

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hey guys, maybe I shouldn't open a new thread but I am in panic mode right now because I messed up with a Wii that is not even mine.

4.2E and everything was working fine (HBC, USB loaders etc).
I used dop-ios and somewhere I messed up with the options there.

Now I can't load any channel at all, from the disc channel to the hbc channel. When I try to do so the Wii just resets back to the system menu.
Bannerbomb still works though with the HBC installer so I still have access to the HBC, only with this method though.

I don't have a NAND backup /preloader/bootmii/whatever.

Is there anything that I can do in order to restore the wii in a working state? Reinstall certain IOS files or something.. Reinstalling 4.2 didn't help so I am wondering if there's anything else I can do.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
use the program from my signature, run the download wizard, tell it that your wii is a virgin, even though its not, then follow the guide to fix/softmod your Wii.

FYI, don't just play around with dop-ios (or any app that can make changes to your Wii), especially if u don't know what u are doing... or if u can't remember what u've done. From the sounds of it, you are the type of person that should only mod wii's if following a specific guide (at least for now, if u learn a lot more, u can probably do your own thing and be safe... but for now, I would recommend you don't make up your own steps)

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thanks a lot mate, I'm already getting somewhere. Now I can normally access the HBC.
However there's still 1 thing that troubles me and after this I 'll give you a huuuge thumbs up.
I can't play games from the disc channel, I always get a black screen - not a reset this time.

Btw games work through usb loaders but I am wondering why discs won't boot. Is it the video settings or could it be something else? I tried to play a pal vc game and an ntsc vc game and only the pal one worked.
I am telling you this because I also changed the video setting to ntsc via anyregionchanger before I got the semi-brick but I reverted back to PAL before the brick (so the console is still in PAL video mode apparently).

Now anyregionchanger won't even boot (I get an es_opentitlecontent error and an error getting settis message).
This might be totally irrelevant but I am mentioning it just in case.
Everything was ok before I used dop-ios and anyregionchanger but I am sure that I didn't change anything in anyreg.

That's the case for the time being, I would be more than thankful to you if I would get another reply.
Thanks for your time.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
u probably screwed up your IOSs somehow, so they can't be used to boot games. You're lucky u didn't screw up your system menu IOS. Running NUSAD's download wizard on wii's 4.2 and below will download all the IOS u need to install to get this back in working order.

To play out of region VC games, u need to enable the region free system menu hack via priiloader. This is all in the guide NUSAD will generate for u.

Fix ur problems before trying to run any region changer... why are u even trying to do that now... it sounds like u are again getting your own ideas on how to mod a wii... if u are making up your own way, be prepared for unexpected results.

Anyways, run nusad's download wizard, and follow the guide. If u continue to have questions, ask away.

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I ran the wizard (every step) for a virgin Wii and as I said it fixed everything besides the disc channel which doesn't boot and I am wondering what is left to do.

I don't care for region free vc at the time being, I just did this in order to see if my console is set on pal or NTSC.
Still region free isn't enough when you have a PAL console (don't you have to change the video mode to NTSC in order to play an NTSC game?). Otherwise there's no display, just a black screen.

Still the main problem is the disc channel and I don't know what else is left to do. I installed all the wads that I got with NUS Autodownloader, is there anything else that I can do?

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I am talking about playing original games from the default disc channel which doesn't seem to work.
Booting originals from Gecko works, as well as booting games via Configurable USB Loader.

john1010_ma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
there used to be a bug in an old version of dop-ios that resets the channels (problem occurs after using the syscheck feature). Ensure you are running the latest to fix it by running the syscheck feature again.

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So you don't think that there's anything else left to try?
At least even like this I can use my Wii in order to play any game via usb loaders, although it just sucks that I can't play games the proper way.
Even like this I greatly appreciate your help and your fast replies and I really thank you for your time and effort.
I 'll see what else I can do and I will post my results.

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thank god it works perfectly. Words can't express my gratitude guys, you saved me from big trouble because I messed up with a friend's Wii.
XFlak I 'll also send you a PM sometime soon about the NUS Autodownloader, this thing is beyond awesome:).

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
john1010_ma said:
Aww, XFlak is always so sweet!
not even my fiancee' is that naive
wink.gif