Hacking 4.1U Wii is Partially Broken

Nilxchaos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I fixed my System Menu. Here is a comprehensive review of the Problem/My Solution, for anyone who uses the search function.

THE PROBLEM: Wii ( v4.1U ) Balance Board synced up with Wii Music. Go to Wii Menu and System Corrupted. Preloader still works and able to go to HBC.

TO FIX: Download System Menu v449 using NUS and Priiloader (latest version). Install with WADManager off of HBC, and it will go back to HBC when done. IMMEDIATELY install Priiloader. Turn off Wii, and test Priiloader. Run System Menu. All is working.

On an unrelated note, my Wiimotes stopped syncing. Great. I'm going through the advanced search now. I am saying this because it may be an unintended side effect.
Just started the Wii with the Wiimote, then pressed A. It worked. Try that.

I am keeping the below for archive purposes/

Okay, let me start from the beginning. I have had this Wii hacked since the beginning of the school year, August 25ish. It worked all fine up until this past weekend.

I installed the latest USB Loader GX, revision 830. It killed support for my USB Hard Drive, asking to select a WBFS partition, which it couldn't find. I went back to revision 828, and all was fine. That is my first question, any idea on that?

Then, this Friday we got a Wii Balance Board, (YAY!
yay.gif
). So I put in Wii Music (wanted to do drums before Wii Fit), and it synced up fine. I press the Home button and go to the Wii Menu.
It then says "The System Menu is corrupt... (you know the message hopefully)". So naturally, I take out the disk and shut off the Wii. I reboot it and it works fine.

My little sister then wants to try the drums, so I load it back up (off of my disk, not USB Loader) and play. She then goes back to the Wii menu and it shows the same thing (corruptness). So I take out the disk and restart the Wii. It still says that the menu is corrupt.

I then turn to Preloader, and it still works. Doesn't preloader install to the system menu's IOS? (in this case IOS60) So if the System Menu is corrupt, Preloader should be too?
Anyways, I make Preloader go to the Homebrew Channel, and it still works. I figure: Okay, whatever, all I am losing is the SD Card Menu. I access the USB Loader from there, and all is pretty much okay. I have to go to Preloader every time I start the Wii, but things could be worse.

OKay, so turn to this morning, and I start the Homebrew Channel (TitleID HAXX) and it gives a static screen with the "SD Loading" icon in the background.
unsure.gif

I then go into Preloader and install USB Loader GX (an old version by mistake), and set the Wii to go to that on power-up.
As my dad put it, the front door (System Menu) is locked, but the back door (Preloader) is wide open, with everything accesible but SD Card Menu, which is under Lock and Key.

So here is where I'm at. Everything started after syncing the Wii Balance Board.
blink.gif

(The USB Loader is only a .dol file, should have almost no effect.)

System Menu 4.1U, Preloader .029, Homebrew Channel 1.0.3, CIOS 249 only, CIOS38 was used to install Homebrew Browser. Thus:
2. Should I update to 4.2? It seems unnecessary, but I think I have to. Who's to use?
3. How am I going to update the Homebrew Channel with no access to it or the Wii Menu?
4. I am running Preloader 0.29, should I update to 0.30? And when, before the above or after?
5. What has happened to USB Loader after revision 828? I hear that the default IOS was changed to 222, but even though I don't have it, shouldn't it still show all my games?

I am fine with not having the system menu, all I am missing is the SD card menu, which I have many games on, but I can live. I still am abot to access all of the Wii Channels through USB Loader, and all of my Homebrew apps.
My father however, would like to have the System Menu back, and frankly, how it was at the beginning of this week.

Hopefully, you all can tell that I am not a n00b, but I am a bit confused. If you need any clarification, reply. Same goes for any answers to the questions above.

Thank You All!

bladepwnedyou

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
At least you weren't dumb like me and fuck up the system menu to have nothin but a black screen pop up.

Fully bricked systems suck >.> Noob move on my part when trying to downgrade then reupgrade.
Nintendos gonna be like you silly boy, we no fix wii for you.

Good luck with fixing yours though.

Nilxchaos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm... I'm sorry, but did that answer any questions? I didn't understand this.
QUOTE said:
Nintendos gonna be like you silly boy, we no fix wii for you.

Thank you for responding, but some answers would be better. Should I have a Moderator move this to a different section? Thanks anyways.

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nilxchaos said:
Okay, let me start from the beginning. I have had this Wii hacked since the beginning of the school year, August 25ish. It worked all fine up until this past weekend.

I installed the latest USB Loader GX, revision 830. It killed support for my USB Hard Drive, asking to select a WBFS partition, which it couldn't find. I went back to revision 828, and all was fine. That is my first question, any idea on that?

Then, this Friday we got a Wii Balance Board, (YAY!
yay.gif
). So I put in Wii Music (wanted to do drums before Wii Fit), and it synced up fine. I press the Home button and go to the Wii Menu.
It then says "The System Menu is corrupt... (you know the message hopefully)". So naturally, I take out the disk and shut off the Wii. I reboot it and it works fine.

My little sister then wants to try the drums, so I load it back up (off of my disk, not USB Loader) and play. She then goes back to the Wii menu and it shows the same thing (corruptness). So I take out the disk and restart the Wii. It still says that the menu is corrupt.

I then turn to Preloader, and it still works. Doesn't preloader install to the system menu's IOS? (in this case IOS60) So if the System Menu is corrupt, Preloader should be too?
Anyways, I make Preloader go to the Homebrew Channel, and it still works. I figure: Okay, whatever, all I am losing is the SD Card Menu. I access the USB Loader from there, and all is pretty much okay. I have to go to Preloader every time I start the Wii, but things could be worse.

OKay, so turn to this morning, and I start the Homebrew Channel (TitleID HAXX) and it gives a static screen with the "SD Loading" icon in the background.
unsure.gif

I then go into Preloader and install USB Loader GX (an old version by mistake), and set the Wii to go to that on power-up.
As my dad put it, the front door (System Menu) is locked, but the back door (Preloader) is wide open, with everything accesible but SD Card Menu, which is under Lock and Key.

So here is where I'm at. Everything started after syncing the Wii Balance Board.
blink.gif

(The USB Loader is only a .dol file, should have almost no effect.)

System Menu 4.1U, Preloader .029, Homebrew Channel 1.0.3, CIOS 249 only, CIOS38 was used to install Homebrew Browser. Thus:
2. Should I update to 4.2? It seems unnecessary, but I think I have to. Who's to use?
3. How am I going to update the Homebrew Channel with no access to it or the Wii Menu?
4. I am running Preloader 0.29, should I update to 0.30? And when, before the above or after?
5. What has happened to USB Loader after revision 828? I hear that the default IOS was changed to 222, but even though I don't have it, shouldn't it still show all my games?

I am fine with not having the system menu, all I am missing is the SD card menu, which I have many games on, but I can live. I still am abot to access all of the Wii Channels through USB Loader, and all of my Homebrew apps.
My father however, would like to have the System Menu back, and frankly, how it was at the beginning of this week.

Hopefully, you all can tell that I am not a n00b, but I am a bit confused. If you need any clarification, reply. Same goes for any answers to the questions above.

Thank You All!
Download with NUS and pack as wad SM-4.1U (NTSC) and then copy it on sd\wad, now boot HBC from preloader, start wad manager and install this SM wad dowloaded with NUS. You will have to reinstall preloader after. Is got to be more to this story as SM gets corrupted usually with an installation of some sort. Was this an original disc or a back up? Was it NTSC or PAL?

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bula said:
Tanas said:
Just use dop-ios to install a working system menu, you could always install 3.2 and then follow this guide.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171...t=0&start=0
Hi Tanas,

do you mind if I ask why would he install 3.2 when he is already at 4.1?
I had the same problem and re installing 4.1 didnt work and wiped my preloader, but i was lucky enough to have bootmii so I was able to fix my wii by selecting 3.2.

I think that the safest way to do it would be to install these two wads with wad manager, they are the 4.1 system menu.
IOS60-64-v6174.wad
System Menu-NUS-v449.wad

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanas said:
bula said:
Tanas said:
Just use dop-ios to install a working system menu, you could always install 3.2 and then follow this guide.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171...t=0&start=0
Hi Tanas,

do you mind if I ask why would he install 3.2 when he is already at 4.1?
I had the same problem and re installing 4.1 didnt work and wiped my preloader, but i was lucky enough to have bootmii so I was able to fix my wii by selecting 3.2.

I think that the safest way to do it would be to install these two wads with wad manager, they are the 4.1 system menu.
IOS70-64-v6687.wad
System Menu-NUS-v481.wad

That will do it as long as he wants to upgrade to 4.2U but you lose region free. Preloader works and it is installed on IOS60 (no problem there) so I am 99.9% sure if he just installs SM4.1U.wad will do it.

Nilxchaos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bula said:
Download with NUS and pack as wad SM-4.1U (NTSC) and then copy it on sd\wad, now boot HBC from preloader, start wad manager and install this SM wad dowloaded with NUS. You will have to reinstall preloader after. Is got to be more to this story as SM gets corrupted usually with an installation of some sort. Was this an original disc or a back up? Was it NTSC or PAL?
First, as I said, Homebrew Channel does not work. QUOTEOkay, so turn to this morning, and I start the Homebrew Channel (TitleID HAXX) and it gives a static screen with the "SD Loading" icon in the background.
I use USB Loader for my Homebrew needs as of today.
Second, the disk was an original (non-backup/USB Loader) NTSC Wii Music circa. Christmas '08. This past Christmas.

As to Tanas' posts: I would very much like to stay on System Menu 4.x if possible. I NEED the SD Card Menu.
I was working on 4.1, and didn't feel the need to install 4.2, as it did absolutely nothing new. By the way, Preloader said I was using System menu v449. And isn't IOS70 for System Menu 4.2?

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CC from your first post
"Anyways, I make Preloader go to the Homebrew Channel, and it still works."

Just install System Menu-NUS-v449.wad (SM4.1U is using IOS60 and so is preloder)

Nilxchaos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was before it "broke" today. Sorry about that detail.
Sorry to ask this... but how do I compile that? I feel like a newb, but I have never done that.
Finally, will I have to reinstall anything afterwards?

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nilxchaos said:
That was before it "broke" today. Sorry about that detail.
Sorry to ask this... but how do I compile that? I feel like a newb, but I have never done that.
Finally, will I have to reinstall anything afterwards?
Do a search for NUS and download it. Start NUSD_13Beta.exe (latest) and on the bottom of the windows that opened check pack-wad then press Database select System then System Menu and then v449 (4.1) and then press Start NUS Download. SM will be packed and saved as System Menu-NUS-v449.wad copy it to your card SD\WAD and install it with Wad Manager.

The only thing you need to reinstall will be preloder as it gets erased by a SM installation.

Nilxchaos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you!! Truly, I couldn't be ask for any better support.
If you could just answer if I would need to reinstall anything(preloader, channels), it would be a great help.

As for my other questions in my first post...
QUOTE said:
Any answers to those?

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nilxchaos said:
Thank you!! Truly, I couldn't be ask for any better support.
If you could just answer if I would need to reinstall anything(preloader, channels), it would be a great help.

As for my other questions in my first post...
QUOTE said:
Any answers to those?
3) When SM is back HBC may work, if not rerun hackmii_installer. If you use hackmii_installer_beta3 it will install HBC1.03 and you need preloader 0.29 or 0.30 (your pick) if you use hackmii_installer_beta6 it will install HBC 1.06 and you need preloader 0.29-JODI or 0.30 or priiloder-r15 (your pick)
4) install after wii reboots in SM. Installing a SM will delete your preloader.
5) What USB Loader are you talking about? GX? GX lets you select what IOS (249, 222 and 223) you want your game to load with. By default is 249 but you can install hermesv4 of IOS222 and223 if you want.

Nilxchaos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3. I am thinking of just installing beta6 anyways, and .30 Preloader. Will installing the latest HBC overwrite the older one, or will i be left with 2 of them?
4. ^ thanks
5. GX yes, but when I open the latest ones, it just says Select a WBFS or FAT32(not sure). But when I try to select one, it doesn't show anything. Any ideas? If i go back to revision 828 it works.

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nilxchaos said:
3. I am thinking of just installing beta6 anyways, and .30 Preloader. Will installing the latest HBC overwrite the older one, or will i be left with 2 of them?
4. ^ thanks
5. GX yes, but when I open the latest ones, it just says Select a WBFS or FAT32(not sure). But when I try to select one, it doesn't show anything. Any ideas? If i go back to revision 828 it works.
3) it will
4) NP
5) Not sure why, I am running at latest rev and have no problems here (let me select both FAT32 and WBFS). Post your problems under USB Lodaer GX someone will help you there.

So what did you do so far? Did you install SM downloaded with NUS yet?

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
never ever install anything on your wii without bootmii and a present backup! (if you can install it that is)
by the way, what cios rev are you using? you did not mention that (besides it being 249)

Nilxchaos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry Guys, I had to go to bed and then it was School. I thus wasn't able to do anything.
frown.gif

5) To let you know, people are also having this problem, issue 1116. I'll just follow that.

To manias, I only have Bootmii as an IOS, so there isn't much point there. But ***Homebrew Channel re-works now. Yay!
And the only backup I have is of my System Menu before the hacks, except Homebrew Channel was installed. So not much point in that. Besides, I've installed many wad's without a backup.

cIOS38rev14

Also, any ideas as to how this happened? It started when I synced the Balance Board, but that doesn't make much sense.

Finally for this post, what is the probability of this failing? Because if it fails, preloader is gone, and I have a $200 brick. Really, REALLY not good.

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nilxchaos said:
Sorry Guys, I had to go to bed and then it was School. I thus wasn't able to do anything.
frown.gif

5) To let you know, people are also having this problem, issue 1116. I'll just follow that.

To manias, I only have Bootmii as an IOS, so there isn't much point there. But ***Homebrew Channel re-works now. Yay!
And the only backup I have is of my System Menu before the hacks, except Homebrew Channel was installed. So not much point in that. Besides, I've installed many wad's without a backup.

cIOS38rev14

Also, any ideas as to how this happened? It started when I synced the Balance Board, but that doesn't make much sense.

Finally for this post, what is the probability of this failing? Because if it fails, preloader is gone, and I have a $200 brick. Really, REALLY not good.

I thought you said that HBC did not work. BTW the only option to get SM back is to reinstall it. I reinstalled SM few times this way and never had a problem but is always a chance that something may happened ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night