Question 4.1 backup but 5.1 installed + burned fuse

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by chocoboss, Aug 30, 2018.

1. chocoboss
    OP

chocoboss GBAtemp Fan

Jun 25, 2016
    France
    FRANCE
    Hi Everyone,

I have a problem.

I have a bought a switch that was 4.1fw, I have upgraded to 5.1 and used it with some NSP ( offline only to not get banned )

Before 6.0 release, I will probably restore my backup but ... I can not remember if it was on 4.1 or 5.1 when I backuped ...

Since the upgrade burned at least 1 fuse, I will probably brick while restoring my nand, any idea / solution ?

Thank you for reading this =)

Gungerino likes this.
  2. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Did you upgrade using legit official methods or did you use the modified upgrade process with autoRCM enabled to avoid burning fuses?

-----a likes this.
  3. Resaec

Resaec GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2017
    Germany
    If you upgraded online or went online after upgrading you can not go online after downgrading with your backup.
    You can however (if you were offline all the time) downgrade, start with hekate, upgrade again and have a clean 5.1 console.

Im not sure, but upgrading should leave a report and thus make it traceable exactly when you upgraded... If you "reupgrade" a downgraded nand there would be 2 reports of you upgrading from 4.1 on nintendos servers (if you went online)

Last edited by Resaec, Aug 30, 2018
  4. Thetoto

Thetoto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2018
    France
    Restore, then boot with hekate (and update to 5.1 if you want)

edit : too late

5. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Last edited by Canna, Aug 30, 2018
    lordelan and comput3rus3r like this.
  6. shchmue

shchmue GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2013
    United States
    Last edited by shchmue, Aug 30, 2018
  7. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Since hekate can boot stock FW as well your fuses are completely irrelevant as long as you use RCM + hekate for booting, no matter which FW with which fuse state you use.

8. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    you clever girl, again nice work on this

9. chocoboss
    OP

chocoboss GBAtemp Fan

Jun 25, 2016
    France
    FRANCE
    I have upgraded online using normal way, so I might partialy fucked.

I have go online while being 4.1 and 5.1 ( download few démo for LayeredFS ).

I will check backup version when I will have time.

Btw if I understand right, I can boot 4.1 using hekate even if I have too many burned fuse

Thank you everyone for your answers

Last edited by chocoboss, Aug 30, 2018
  10. issayloki

issayloki Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2018
    Thailand
    So this mean if I have nand backup of 4.0.1 then do normal online update to 5.1, then I can just restore my 4.1 nand to go back to 4.1 with autorcm?. Thank you guys

11. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes but there's no added benefits of running 4.1 if you burnt fuses updating to 5.1 since you must use RCM in order to load 4.1 but you can just boot 5.1 without RCM.

issayloki likes this.
  12. Ian095

Ian095 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Ok now I'm confused. You guys are telling me despite burning a fuse updating to 5.1.0 completely officially. I could just use Hekate to load my 4.1.0 backup (in which could lead to making it easier to exploit later for overwriting with say Atmosphere)? or would it flat out just not work. I do have a 4.1.0 and a 5.1.0 backup. (Also I know that's not possible right now, I'm talking for futures sake).

Last edited by Ian095, Aug 31, 2018
  13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    The reason why we can update without burning fuses is because we can bypass the fuse check via RCM and a substitute bootloader. This is very useful for people to load higher firmwares, but useless for people to load lower firmwares. You would only downgrade if you can boot the firmware without RCM. Otherwise, you're giving yourself more work for no added benefit.

14. shchmue

shchmue GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2013
    United States
    it's only practical for, say, developers testing stuff on lower firmwares

Draxzelex likes this.
  15. Ian095

Ian095 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yeah makes sense, I'm guessing CFW will never truly overwrite Horizon OS itself then? If that were ever the case then that's what I was kinda aiming at, otherwise yeah it is pointless.

16. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Typical. OP makes a new thread then vanishes when given replies asking for more info.