Hacking 4.0E + wiikey. need help installing HBC

wxcvbn999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have a 4.0E wii with a wiikey, but now I want to install the homebrew channel.
I searched around alot and I saw that I have to install bootmii,... .

But now I found an homebrew channel beta 8 iso that installs itself almost automatically, but the thread where I found it was 2 years old and was for version 3.1.
I already downloaded and burned the DVD, but I haven't installed it yet, because i'm not sure if it will work on version 4.0E and if it doesn't, is there any chance that it can brick my wii?

Thanks in advance.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Never used a HBC installer DVD so can't really say. If you are on 4.0 then why not install via BannerBomb as this is a tried and trusted method that works with 4.0 firmware?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It won't work. That disc only works on a chipped Wii with a trucha-bugged System Menu IOS. A virgin 4.0 wii would not have a trucha'd IOS60.

wxcvbn999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Krestent said:
Never used a HBC installer DVD so can't really say. If you are on 4.0 then why not install via BannerBomb as this is a tried and trusted method that works with 4.0 firmware?

I'm not sure if I can install bootmii when I already have wiikey, and I am too afraid i'm going to do something wrong.

QUOTE(Krestent @ Feb 7 2011, 06:51 PM) It won't work. That disc only works on a chipped Wii with a trucha-bugged System Menu IOS. A virgin 4.0 wii would not have a trucha'd IOS60.

It's not virgin, it has a wiikey, unless that doesn't count.

wxcvbn999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
bazamuffin said:
Maybe look at the "Modify any Wii 4.3 and below" in the stickies?

Okay, but I already searched around alot, and some people say that not all SD cards work for bannerbomb, and I don't even have an SDcard, but I do have an microSD card and a microSD to SD adaptor, so i'm not sure if it works, and I don't want to brick my wii.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wxcvbn999 said:
Krestent said:

I'm not sure if I can install bootmii when I already have wiikey, and I am too afraid i'm going to do something wrong.

QUOTE(Krestent @ Feb 7 2011, 06:51 PM) It won't work. That disc only works on a chipped Wii with a trucha-bugged System Menu IOS. A virgin 4.0 wii would not have a trucha'd IOS60.

It's not virgin, it has a wiikey, unless that doesn't count.
I meant software-wise. So no, the Wiikey doesn't count

wxcvbn999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Krestent said:
I meant software-wise. So no, the Wiikey doesn't count

Oh, okay. Also, on the guide it says I have to update to 4.2E. Is this safe? My dad always told me to never update, because that will render the wiikey useless.
Sorry for all those questions, but I just want to be 100% sure It won't do any harm.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Following this guide is completely safe. While 4.2 will not cause your Wiikey to become inoperable, it will disable the region free option. Priiloader (in the guide) can fix that.

wxcvbn999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lacius said:
Following this guide is completely safe. While 4.2 will not cause your Wiikey to become inoperable, it will disable the region free option. Priiloader (in the guide) can fix that.

Okay, thanks. One more question though, do I need to format my SD card, or can I just leave the old data on it? I have enough place left on the card.

EDIT: I just found this guide:

http://wiisixtyfour.webs.com/WHG/WHG.htm

it seems very good, and I don't have to update to 4.2, because it uses Bannerbomb v1. Shoud I just follow that guide, so I don't have to update the wii?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating the Wii is recommended so that you have the latest version of each IOS file. Since the IOS files are the only things that are important, you can still follow this guide and just delete System Menu-NUS-v481.wad from the wad folder. This will update each IOS to its latest version but leave you on 4.0.

wxcvbn999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lacius said:
Updating the Wii is recommended so that you have the latest version of each IOS file. Since the IOS files are the only things that are important, you can still follow this guide and just delete System Menu-NUS-v481.wad from the wad folder. This will update each IOS to its latest version but leave you on 4.0.

Why are the IOS files so important actually? All I want is to run some homebrew games on it, so do I really need all those IOS files and install that trucha thing and YAWM,...?

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
@OP
You sound really nervous and I don't think you should be doing any hacking on your Wii. Remember, there is a always a risk (a very small one) that something can go wrong and break your Wii. And maybe you should ask your dad for permission first.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming you use retail discs or you use your Wiikey to play backup discs from the disc channel, then you need your IOS files to be up-to-date. Otherwise, some games might not work correctly. If you plan on using backup launchers from the Homebrew Channel and using a cIOS, then that is the only IOS file that really matters, I suppose.

Likewise, IOS58 is an example of an IOS file that is used by a lot of homebrew these days, and it is not included with 4.0. Following that guide I linked to, however, will install the latest version of IOS58. If you really want to stay on 4.0, just delete System Menu-NUS-v481.wad from the wad before putting the SD card into your Wii.

wxcvbn999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
bowser said:
@OP
You sound really nervous and I don't think you should be doing any hacking on your Wii. Remember, there is a always a risk (a very small one) that something can go wrong and break your Wii. And maybe you should ask your dad for permission first.

My dad thinks it's ok. I just wan't to be able to run homebrew games, but I think i'm just going to follow this tutorial: [url=http://wiisixtyfour.webs.com/WHG/Bannerbomb.htm]http://wiisixtyfour.webs.com/WHG/Bannerbomb.htm[/url]
It looks easy to follow and explains everything in detail.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wxcvbn999 said:
My dad thinks it's ok. I just wan't to be able to run homebrew games, but I think i'm just going to follow this tutorial: [url=http://wiisixtyfour.webs.com/WHG/Bannerbomb.htm]http://wiisixtyfour.webs.com/WHG/Bannerbomb.htm[/url]
This guide is great for installing the Homebrew Channel, and I suggest you follow it; it is exactly what you would have to do with any of the other guides. However, this guide ends after the installation of the Homebrew Channel and a tutorial on how to load homebrew applications. Without IOS58, applications listed on the last page of this guide, such as WiiMC, will be unable to work properly. Likewise, you may have trouble playing newer games without up-to-date IOS files. Although not important, you are also unable to use the Wii Shop Channel in your Wii's current condition.

wxcvbn999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lacius said:
wxcvbn999 said:
This guide is great for installing the Homebrew Channel, and I suggest you follow it; it is exactly what you would have to do with any of the other guides. However, this guide ends after the installation of the Homebrew Channel and a tutorial on how to load homebrew applications. Without IOS58, applications listed on the last page of this guide, such as WiiMC, will be unable to work properly. Likewise, you may have trouble playing newer games without up-to-date IOS files. Although not important, you are also unable to use the Wii Shop Channel in your Wii's current condition.

Oh, okay, can i still update to 4.2 after installing the homebrew channel?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.