4.0 vs. 4.1

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by spritefreak, Jul 30, 2009.

Jul 30, 2009

4.0 vs. 4.1 by spritefreak at 3:44 PM (1,083 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. spritefreak
    OP

Member spritefreak GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I am wondering if 4.1 is free of any bugs. I am still on 3.2U firmware and I have been meaning to upgrade to 4.0U firmware. I was recently reading on the boards that some people were saying not to upgrade to 4.1 unless necessary. What is new with 4.1? I think I saw that Wii Sports Resort needs 4.1 correct?

Thanks in advance!

2. MissingNo._

Member MissingNo._ aka MissingNoL

United States
    You are correct. Wii Sports Resort has the bug where if you have an SD card in the front SD slot It will play the intro movie twice. I just heard this from one of my friends, I'm not sure if this is correct.

3. Dan_Aykroyd

Member Dan_Aykroyd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That's correct; it doesn't introduce anything else besides what's in 4.0

4. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    4.1 is a quick fix for Wii Sports Resort. The first time you play the game, you have to watch a 3 minute instructional video. On 4.0, if you play a WiiWare/VC title from the SD card, Wii Sports Resort will force you to watch the video again the next time you play it. This is repaired in 4.1.

That's it.

It's perfectly safe for hacking/upgrading to.

This guide is wonderful: http://www.yafaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1178

Since I'm assuming you've already got cIOS/HBC installed, there are steps here you won't need. Simply update via Nintendo, read the guide through, and then skip to part 8 as the guide says.

I then recommend remembering to install Preloader afterward. Even if you've got it now, it will be deleted upon upgrading to 4.0.

And don't forget about BootMii, especially if your Wii is old enough to install it to boot2, so you can be virtually brick-proof.

5. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    4.1 obviously is better. Does not affect piracy, and fixes a bug.

6. spritefreak
    OP

Member spritefreak GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [/quote]

And don't forget about BootMii, especially if your Wii is old enough to install it to boot2, so you can be virtually brick-proof.
    [/quote]

When you say old enough, what do you mean? I am sorta new to this hacking scene, but when you install Bootmii, how do you install it as boot2?

7. gilaben

Newcomer gilaben Advanced Member

United States
    4.1 is better then 4.0 in my opinion. Fixes Sports Resort bug and has some Preloader Goodies.

4.0U never had the IOS Reload hack for preloader but 4.1U does. Makes loading from Disc Channel Possible in Rev14 w/o CIOSCORP.

8. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Bootmii#Compatibility

9. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Go to www.bootmii.org and get the hackmii installer. When you load it through Homebrew Channel, it will give you the option to install the latest HBC, DVDx, and BootMii. For BootMii, it will either say "Can be installed", or something like "can be installed in one variant" or "can be installed as IOS". If it comes up as simply "can be installed", then it will give you the option to install as boot2, or as an IOS. Install as boot2, then when you have the option, do a NAND backup to an SD card. If your Wii is too new, and therefore doesn't have a vulnerable boot1 (allowing you to install to boot2), then you're out of luck. Most Wiis produced before mid-2008 are fine.