3rd Person Metroid on PSX Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by XDel, Aug 28, 2015.

1. XDel
    OP

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was never a fan of the PSX, it arrived at a time when I was looking forward to CD based technologies (in a 2D sense), and was quite happy playing my Sega CD and 3DO. When the PSX came out, I bought it only to play DOOM...
    ...though I did also fall in love with Jumping Flash, I'll admit.
    Once I was able to afford a Laptop to run DOOM (I was an Atari/Amiga guy), I ditched the PSX as none of the games coming out appealed to me, and I also thought the 3D to look like crap from what I'd seen.
    Well years have passed and I became aware of a few 2D gems for the system such as Castlevania SOTN and Strider 2. And so I began to respect the old system a bit more. Having recently rooted my Amazon HD 6 and put Jellybean on it, I decided to install Epsxe, plug in my PS2 controller and give it a go. Surprisingly everything I have tried runs flawlessly and of course the controls are Sony Controls so it feels like the real deal.
    Deciding I needed to see what else was out there that was not often spoken of, I discovered a little gem titled, The Divide: Enemies Within. As fate would have it, this game was written as a homage to Super Metroid and Zelda!

"
    My favorite games have always been Nintendo softs, and Super Metroid for the SNES was at the time, for me, a perfect combination of adventure, shooting and platform. I learned a tremendous amount about level building, expanding maps and reward vs. challenge from extensively playing that game, and finding common Nintendo design elements with The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

So, leveraging the success of Beavis and Butthead, and supported by technical demonstrations of a strong in-house 3D engine, I came up with the idea of trying to make a Metroid experience on PlayStation and pitched it successfully to Viacom New Media as "Super Metroid in 3D!" - Ian Verchere, Designer for The Divide.

You can read about the game in more detail here. This is awesome! Of all the gems I am finding, I kind of want to make a PiStation to dedicate to these games.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/divide/divide.htm

VinsCool likes this.
  2. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Well, i know what to keep my eye out for next time I go to a pawn shop or flea market. My preferred genre tends to be Metroidvania. Even a bit rough, this might be a bit of fun.

XDel likes this.
  3. XDel
    OP

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    It's quirky, ugly as sin, but it's addictive!

TecXero likes this.
  4. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Ugliness never stopped me. Half my Atari 2600, PS1, and N64 collection wouldn't exist if it did.

XDel likes this.