OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
divide-19.png
divide-4.png
divide1.jpg
2661969-379629-the-divide-enemies-within-playstation-screenshot-jumping-through.jpg

I was never a fan of the PSX, it arrived at a time when I was looking forward to CD based technologies (in a 2D sense), and was quite happy playing my Sega CD and 3DO. When the PSX came out, I bought it only to play DOOM...
...though I did also fall in love with Jumping Flash, I'll admit.
Once I was able to afford a Laptop to run DOOM (I was an Atari/Amiga guy), I ditched the PSX as none of the games coming out appealed to me, and I also thought the 3D to look like crap from what I'd seen.
Well years have passed and I became aware of a few 2D gems for the system such as Castlevania SOTN and Strider 2. And so I began to respect the old system a bit more. Having recently rooted my Amazon HD 6 and put Jellybean on it, I decided to install Epsxe, plug in my PS2 controller and give it a go. Surprisingly everything I have tried runs flawlessly and of course the controls are Sony Controls so it feels like the real deal.
Deciding I needed to see what else was out there that was not often spoken of, I discovered a little gem titled, The Divide: Enemies Within. As fate would have it, this game was written as a homage to Super Metroid and Zelda!

"
My favorite games have always been Nintendo softs, and Super Metroid for the SNES was at the time, for me, a perfect combination of adventure, shooting and platform. I learned a tremendous amount about level building, expanding maps and reward vs. challenge from extensively playing that game, and finding common Nintendo design elements with The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

So, leveraging the success of Beavis and Butthead, and supported by technical demonstrations of a strong in-house 3D engine, I came up with the idea of trying to make a Metroid experience on PlayStation and pitched it successfully to Viacom New Media as "Super Metroid in 3D!" - Ian Verchere, Designer for The Divide.

You can read about the game in more detail here. This is awesome! Of all the gems I am finding, I kind of want to make a PiStation to dedicate to these games.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/divide/divide.htm

Reactions: VinsCool

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, i know what to keep my eye out for next time I go to a pawn shop or flea market. My preferred genre tends to be Metroidvania. Even a bit rough, this might be a bit of fun.

Reactions: XDel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ack slow wifi