Hacking 3rd Party Controller Makes Wii Crash

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Memorex MotionPlus Wii controller. The one that lights up blue, etc.

When I use it to turn the Wii off, it'll crash and the controller will stay on, causing me to have to pull the batteries out. It shows all that white text with hexadecimal codes and all that.

Using 1st party controller is fine.

I was having a problem earlier where anytime I'd turn the controller ON, the Wii would crash if I were in any type of homebrew.
Somehow I fixed it with a series of syncs. Unsure exactly what I did.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't occur on a non-modded Wii.
It has something to do with homebrew not liking the controller.

Anyone have any useful advice?

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Memorex MotionPlus Wii controller. The one that lights up blue, etc.

When I use it to turn the Wii off, it'll crash and the controller will stay on, causing me to have to pull the batteries out. It shows all that white text with hexadecimal codes and all that.

Using 1st party controller is fine.

I was having a problem earlier where anytime I'd turn the controller ON, the Wii would crash if I were in any type of homebrew.
Somehow I fixed it with a series of syncs. Unsure exactly what I did.

Anyone know what's going on here?
Just buy a regular Wiimote. Third-party stuff has issues!

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Certain newer 1st party Wii MotionPlus controllers have similar issues so can we assume that "dude the controller sux get a good one" has already been considered and actually think about the issue?

Any Wii controller certainly doesn't crash the Wii on shutdown on a non-hacked Wii, so does anyone know any sync tricks to get it to work properly?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Certain newer 1st party Wii MotionPlus controllers have similar issues so can we assume that "dude the controller sux get a good one" has already been considered and actually think about the issue?

Any Wii controller certainly doesn't crash the Wii on shutdown on a non-hacked Wii, so does anyone know any sync tricks to get it to work properly?
That is not true. The issue is entirely different and has been figured out. Much of the homebrew has been updated to work with the new wiimotes. But those new wiimotes never caused the wii to crash, they just wouldn't work with homebrew until a few months ago.

But is you're that concerned then just get an older used one from gamestop or something. It will be cheaper too.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
I've never had much love for 3rd party controllers ever since I tried playing gamecube games on my Wii. The first one I ordered had a SMASHED analog stick and was unusable. Second controller had a very loose analog stick and was very inaccurate. Then when I was at Gamestop in Denmark I saw a GC controller for a low prize, and since it seemed to have a functional control stick I thought to myself "what could go wrong?" The controller seemed to work just fine at first with the exception that the analog stick was just a tiny bit inaccurate so Four Swords and Melee was unplayable. Then after a month or so the C stick broke down for no reason at all, it even looks perfectly fine!

After all that trouble I decided to just buy an official one and it's a whole world better.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
?? i never had a problem out of mine, i have two of them. i like them cause they also have the wireless nun chuck. my homebrew doesn't crash, it works turning on/off the wii. with no issues.
launch games from any loader. they were cheaper then the wiimote t the time i got them.( kids thought the O.G. was a boat.lol). so got these in a crunch.
the wiimote might be faulty. cause i also remember you talking bout mixing it up with the nun chuck n the O.G wiimote..(cause they are wireless). or your system could be out of wack. cause the updated homebrew has no problems, with any wiimote i have. an i got three different types. i have two of these. an two of the mini power A wiimotes.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If no button is activated for an amount of time, a wiimote should turn off by itself. No need to remove the batteries to establish that.

Is the wii panic dump happening every time, with every possible (homebrew) application, including the system menu?

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Er...just buy a used (or new if you can find one) old Wiimote on eBay/Amazon.

EDIT: Those issues have already been fixed, if you haven't been on the Wii hacking scene for a while.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
?? i never had a problem out of mine, i have two of them. i like them cause they also have the wireless nun chuck. my homebrew doesn't crash, it works turning on/off the wii. with no issues.
launch games from any loader. they were cheaper then the wiimote t the time i got them.( kids thought the O.G. was a boat.lol). so got these in a crunch.
the wiimote might be faulty. cause i also remember you talking bout mixing it up with the nun chuck n the O.G wiimote..(cause they are wireless). or your system could be out of wack. cause the updated homebrew has no problems, with any wiimote i have. an i got three different types. i have two of these. an two of the mini power A wiimotes.

Good to know. Yeah I figured it wasn't the controller persay but just something out of whack software wise, since it didn't work at ALL at first and I got it down to only crashing when powering off.

If no button is activated for an amount of time, a wiimote should turn off by itself. No need to remove the batteries to establish that.

Is the wii panic dump happening every time, with every possible (homebrew) application, including the system menu?

The Wii will crash whenever I use the Wiimote to power down the Wii only in Homebrew, including USB Loader GX, Homebrew Channel, priiloader.
During a game or on the Wii system menu, it'll shut down OK.

I'll just keep messing with it and see what I come up with.

Oh, I have 6 first party Wiimotes (4 older, 2 MotionPlus), they all work fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended