Hacking 3in1 deletes saves

AssaultWhiffle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've seen this problem a lot but none of the solutions are doing anything.
When I start a file in a game (Specifically Mother 3) it works fine until I start a new GBA game. Then when I go back to it the file is gone.
I've tried GBA Exploader, and though it claims the SAV file was found when I try to run the game in NOR I still get the New Game screen in Mother 3. NDS Backup Tool just doesn't find the 3in1 at all.
Any solutions?

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you back up the save before you write a new game to the 3-in-1. It's option B from either the NAND or NOR menu in ExpLoader.

AssaultWhiffle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried that, but I got a message saying "SRAM Data not found. Can't process to SAV file." Or something.
I may be saying something completely irrelevant here since I'm sort of new to this but to my understanding you can only load Mother 3 in NOR because it's more than 16mb.
So how would I save SRAM data for Mother 3 for EXPloader to process?

D

Deleted-236924

First of all, are you sure the rom is properly patched?
Secondly, maybe your SRAM battery is dead.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Down load EZ4 client and patch your ROMS w/ that before putting them on the SD... If you aren't doing that already. Pingouin7 is right, that's most likely your problem. I need to stop posting when sleep deprived...

Yes, you do need to burn games larger than 16MB to NOR.

SRAM and PSRAM (and by NAND I meant PSRAM, I was in EZ3 mode for some reason) are not the same thing. PSRAM is where you put your games (temporarily, until you power down) and SRAM is the battery backed memory your saves are stored in. Whether you burn the game to NOR or write it to the PSRAM it will still use the SRAM to hold the saves. SRAM will only hold one save at a time, so when you switch games the new game's save will over write the old one.

Now when you said it works fine until you switch games, do you mean the game save survives w/ the unit off for a while and it's only when you put a new game on the 3-in-1 that you have problems? If that's the case your battery is likely fine.

AssaultWhiffle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Yes, it works just fine until I switch games regardless of how long I leave it be, then the saves become corrupted. And I just received the 3in1 a few days ago anyway so I doubt the battery would be dead anyways.
And maybe I just had a bad ROM, but the first ROM I tried for the game was patched with EZ4 client but just crashed the EZVi when I tried to load it.

D

Deleted-236924

AssaultWhiffle said:
And I just received the 3in1 a few days ago anyway so I doubt the battery would be dead anyways.

The battery doesn't wait until you buy it.
Once a battery is there, it slowly loses charge over time.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AssaultWhiffle said:
^ Yes, it works just fine until I switch games regardless of how long I leave it be, then the saves become corrupted. And I just received the 3in1 a few days ago anyway so I doubt the battery would be dead anyways.
And maybe I just had a bad ROM, but the first ROM I tried for the game was patched with EZ4 client but just crashed the EZVi when I tried to load it.

You won't need to use EZ4 Client if you are using the EZ5 built in support for the 3-in-1 and the EZ5 has a recent kernel. That advice was based on you using ExpLoader and NDS Backup Tool.

I just downloaded Mother 3 from the first site that came up on Google. I applied the translation patch and dropped it on my SD for my EZ5 which has kernel 3.0 OB6 on it. I burned Mother 3 to NOR and played enough of it to save. I then played a game from PSRAM and burned a new game to NOR and played that a bit. After burning Mother 3 back to NOR, I could continue where I left off.

There is nothing special about Mother 3 that breaks it on the EZ5 w/ a 3-in-1. I didn't bother to test it w/ ExpLoader or NDS Backup Tool.

My advice is make sure you are on the latest kernel for the EZ5 and use the in built 3-in-1 support. You will not need to use EZ4 Client or anything else to save patch your games, and it will take care of backing up saves from the 3-in-1 to SD when you switch games automatically. If that doest work then something else is wrong, perhaps a bad dump as you suggested.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat