3Ghz Core2 Duo VS 2.4Ghz Core2 QUAD

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by WeaponXxX, Sep 5, 2007.

?

Should I buy a 3Ghz DUAL coreor a 2.4Ghz QUAD core

1. 3Ghz core 2 Duo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2.4Ghz core 2 Quad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Sep 5, 2007
  1. WeaponXxX
    OP

Member WeaponXxX Too F'in Blonde

United States
    Its that time again where I just gotta buy more shit. So the million dollar question is:
    Do I buy a 3Ghz Core2 Duo or a 2.4Ghz Core2 Quad?

Currently running 2 2.4 Core2 Duos as well as a 2.6 and pretty happy with them....I grew out of the overclock stage so either processor I get will be run stock.

2. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Abridged answer:

gaming: core 2 duo
    serious movie encoding with a program that supports multiple cores: the quad
    heavy multitasking: quad

NON-ABRIDGED ANSWER WHICH IS SHORTED THAN THE ABRIDGED ONE:
    Thats as far as I understand it. I have a core 2 duo in my laptop and core 2 quad in my desktop both at (nearly) the same clock, the quad runs faster(and really cool with just a fan, at 28C when idle) albeit not faster by much. Not sure what the increase in cock speed would do tho.

3. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
  4. Linkiboy

United States
  5. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    E6850 vs Q6600 I take it? Go for the quad core, I guess. Granted there isn't a lot that will take advantage of 4 cores at present but it is the more powerful CPU.

[​IMG]

6. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    Yes the Q6600 VS the e6850

I mainly use Photoshop and Vegas Video 24/7

From that website it really looks like the Q6600 seems to kick some ass over the e6850.....

/me goes back to comparing results

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Once again I doubt many around here have experience with serious video machines (I doubt I can really count myself in this bracket either). Can I assume this is both producing and encoding/authoring?

First: I encode/remaster/recut and occasionally produce a hell of a lot of video ranging from mpeg1 through DVD through MPEG4-ASP to MPEG4-AVC (any and all containers really). I rarely, if ever, do WMV or other easily streamable stuff (not that it really makes much difference here). I do not however use the apps you do (the GIMP and avisynth are my comparative choice for those).
    It also must be said the CPU is 99% of the time the limiting factor (capturing is hard drive limited normally and once in what was almost an experiment (simultaneous encoding of 2 heavily filtered (mvtools+spatio temporal stuff) high res videos with a fairly early version of X264 I ran out of ram)). You mentioned once something to do with an encoder card, if this is the case I may have to revise my advice although the fact it is not here probably says something. Same goes for graphics cards enhanced encoding (although normally that means a really nasty codec is made or the ability is hidden behind an obtuse/rarely used (outside of tech demos) API).
    I know you said no overclocking but it should be said with a simple FSB overclock (which these core whatever chips seem more than capable of: I have overclocked about 6 core2 and one quad through the roof on standard cooling and I am nowhere near the levels of some of the overclockers) you will probably get nearly the same stable clock speeds out of them, having participated in several of these threads over the last few years now I doubt you will have any trouble with "reduced life".

As for quad not being of any use: for games and general UI I would tend to agree however in the simplest form multicore encoding for me means splitting the video in half and encoding, for which there are now several applications (although normally using avisynth as a frontend, occasionally they just join though), you may get a 200 KB or so increase in size for a DVD but that is not really here or there.
    If manually authoring a DVD I tend to encode each tile individually but they are normally the same length and level of complexity or occasionally I might keep the another core for audio.

I realise this probably has not said much so in my opinion it really boils down to this:
    does you app support multicore (even with a kludge like encoding to lossless (can I suggest you try h264-lossless for this if you have not already) and then transcoding or 30 minutes on a reusable batch file)? If yes quad, if no (or you really consider it unreasonable) clockspeed is the limiting factor in encoding most of the time (a small cache which is not an issue here can also mean a noticeable hit) the the higher clocked may be a better option. My personal preference is towards the quad though and it really is not difficult to set up multi core stuff.

Although I appreciate this is a here and now thing SSE5 (which could herald some nice improvements in this arena although it will take a while for support in encoders) as well as AMD offerings:
    http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=5818

8. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    Thanks for all the feedback guys....one final question....I run XP Pro...with that have any problems running a Quad?

*Edit...
    Too late...I have boughten the quad core!!!

9. Linkiboy

United States
    What? Why didn't you tell us before? XP only supports 2 of the cores!

jk lol

10. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To provide some context: they ran it at different levels of detail and resolutions depending on the amount of enabled cores - see the full article for more info.

I'll contribute something more substantial to this thread later.

11. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    Wow too bad I can't run Vista...it looks like there is some massive pluses to running the OS...good to know at least down the road I have the option. Thanks for the graph man. Good to know a Quad can run on XP Pro.

12. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Why can't you run Vista?

13. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    Too much of my video production software is NOT compatible...like Vegas Video...while I know how to use Premiere for what I do Vegas is the BEST....

14. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    You could dual boot? Try it in compatiblity mode?

15. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    I only do 5 things with my computer, Photoshop, Vegas Video, Office Apps, Dreamweaver, and download stuff..not to mention I am a severe multi tasker...part of what i do is going from Vegas to Photoshop so its not really in the cards to dual boot. Like I said...good to have the technology just in case but for now I need my XP

16. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    Ugh.. Vista. Its like dragging a rake down a chalkboard FOR YOUR SOULLLLLLL. Hopefully MS might make Vista worth it after a few SP's. Right now, Its just a prettier, hoggier, buggier XP. Yep. Linki said Cock speed. Nice.

And I'm a multicore person so I say go quad since you do video stuff. Not that it matters now.