Homebrew 3DSXL with RxTools bricked thanks to new update. Any way to switch to Lumas3DS?

electraraven

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I'm not online alot, and I'm not very tech savvy, but I hope someone can help me. I tried looking for any threads anywhere with a similar problem like mine, but not much luck. I tried the ask section but apparently you need to make a specific number of posts first.

Thing is, I updated my 3ds to 11.3 today, and tried to load Rxtools to use Emunand, but all I get is a black screen, with slight flashes. Checked online for what the problem was, and apparently I learned Rxtools no longer works with the new update.

Good news is I can still get into the Rxtools menu, and I can enter Sysnand. I also read Lumas3DS still works with the new update. So basically as the title says, any way for me to switch to Lumas even tho its bricked? I'm hoping that somehow since sysnand still works, there might be a way, but I want to be careful what I'm doing and not make it worse lol.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

If you can access your 9.2 sysnand you aren't bricked.It just means that rxtools has finally been patched after receiving no updates from the dev.

Edit:You can follow the guide below my comment if you want a up to date device,however if you don't feel comfortable downgrading or feel overwhelmed you can simply run luma through menuhax with your current emunand.

Last edited by ,

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your Sysnand is 11.2 and under Migrate to A9LH then use Luma, as if you ended up w/ a 11.3 Sysnand, its your own fault, every Single RXTool user has been warned in many topics over teh past this was all nintendy had to do to Break rxTools. its been abandoned, you guys will haveto let go and finally migrate. if you refuse to move to A9LH to use luma then enjoy your doorstop Clear and Simple.

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
That's your problem right there. You'll want to go through the guide to jump to a9lh instead. http://3ds.guide

I believe menuhax as a whole is currently broken with 11.3 firmware, even on an emunand.

This isn't mandatory..

https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-upgrade

Just so you know, your emunand is NOT bricked, you cannot access emunand because rxTools and the 11.3 update patched loading external firmware.bin which is what rxTools does unlike Luma it's already built in :)

Last edited by proflayton123,
Reactions: NightScript

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Do you already have A9HL installed? If so, just download Luma3DS latest nightly and overwrite the arm9loaderhax.bin
https://astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/

If you still want to use your Emunand, when Luma3DS menu popsup. Make sure to tick Emunand 1 and it should still work like nothing ever happened.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

electraraven

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright thank you everyone for the help. Glad to know it isn't bricked lol. i will try to follow these directions and hope everything works out.

Also i reported this thread to delete it cause i just realized i posted this in the wrong section. Sorry about that. >.<

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
alright thank you everyone for the help. Glad to know it isn't bricked lol. i will try to follow these directions and hope everything works out.

Also i reported this thread to delete it cause i just realized i posted this in the wrong section. Sorry about that. >.<

Any questions or anything feel free to PM me

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your main issue is that you for some reason continued to use rxTools, even though the entire community has said rxTools would be dead once Ninty forced the latest NFIRM. Luckily it should be an easy upgrade to Luma, which you really should have been using for a while now but I digress.
Others have already linked you to info on how to get Luma up and running, though I would highly recommend looking into installing A9LH
as far as loading menuhax on 11.3 it's currently broken but using it on 11.2 or lower as an entry point is fine
The latest home menu exploit (menuhax) was patched, and iirc it was the last known vulnerability in home menu. I guess Yellows8 has had a list of exploits at the ready which is why the last few menuhax seemed to have been put out so fast. So menuhax will definitely be dead for a while, until a new vuln is found IF ONE EXISTS.

electraraven

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm back on emunand! I don't have ArmLoaderHax, so I followed this guide http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-updating-from-rxtools-to-luma3ds.427735/

and I installed menuhax and Lumas through my regular sysnand since its on 9.2. But now I have a bit of a concern. Once I turn on the 3ds, it loads into emunand, but what if I want to go back to regular mode or sysnand? Also, can I delete rxtools from my sd card, or should I just leave it there?

Reactions: proflayton123

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
I'm back on emunand! I don't have ArmLoaderHax, so I followed this guide http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-updating-from-rxtools-to-luma3ds.427735/

and I installed menuhax and Lumas through my regular sysnand since its on 9.2. But now I have a bit of a concern. Once I turn on the 3ds, it loads into emunand, but what if I want to go back to regular mode or sysnand? Also, can I delete rxtools from my sd card, or should I just leave it there?

You can change it in the luma config, you can also delete the rxtools files

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I'm not online alot, and I'm not very tech savvy, but I hope someone can help me. I tried looking for any threads anywhere with a similar problem like mine, but not much luck. I tried the ask section but apparently you need to make a specific number of posts first.

Thing is, I updated my 3ds to 11.3 today, and tried to load Rxtools to use Emunand, but all I get is a black screen, with slight flashes. Checked online for what the problem was, and apparently I learned Rxtools no longer works with the new update.

Good news is I can still get into the Rxtools menu, and I can enter Sysnand. I also read Lumas3DS still works with the new update. So basically as the title says, any way for me to switch to Lumas even tho its bricked? I'm hoping that somehow since sysnand still works, there might be a way, but I want to be careful what I'm doing and not make it worse lol.
if youre on 11.3 no not at the moment as both safehax (arm9 kernel exploit) and fasthax (arm11 kernel exploit) and dsiware downgrade (lowest nfirm set to 11.3) were patched. soundhax (arm11 userland exploit) was also patched for a little bit but was fixed. and no hardmod downgrade either due to the nfirm. unless you had some kind of nfirm protection basically no. you cant.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

oh youre on 9.2 so forget my comment.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

holding select on boot will bring up the luma config where you can change these sections (i believe theres an option to press a button on boot to load sysnand firm)

sirocyl

Are we Geniuses or what?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least you're on 9.2 and using Luma. You're at a perfect spot to switch to arm9loaderhax, or wait for sighax, once it becomes available. Sighax will be a lot easier to install, since it does not require a temporary downgrade to 2.x to grab the OTP. You're at a stable point to wait, anyway, since you're now on Luma. Eventually with sighax, you can move your emunand onto sysnand safely too. :)

electraraven

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks sirocyl. i'm using menuhax cause arm9loaderhax is a bit too complicated for me to install right now. I'll check about Sighax sometime.

Anyway I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm having another problem, with Luma this time, and its confusing me a bit. i'm using v6.6, and when I boot on my 3ds while holding select, the config menu does not show up. I also tried while on sysnand and on emunand. nothing. Maybe I should install an older version of Lumas?

second problem is this: you know how with rxtools there's a Rxtools sysnand? When you go to system settings, it says RX 9.2.0. Well how can you something similar with Lumas? I read this page: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Options-and-usage

It says you can use Sysnand FIRM while holding the R button. I tried the option on and off(I had to reinstall Lumas cause select button isn't working) but I don't think it does anything, just sends me to regular sysnand. The main reason why I'm trying to do this is cause I want to install Cias like Golden Sun. Currently I'm using Rxtools to go to sysnand, but I would like to just delete it and stick to Lumas.

Any tips or help would be great. :) Meantime I'll try some stuff and see if it works.

Also to those who are wondering, I didn't install Lumas before and stuck with rxtools all this time was cause...I just haven't had much time to do it.

Last edited by electraraven,

dankzegriefer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks sirocyl. i'm using menuhax cause arm9loaderhax is a bit too complicated for me to install right now. I'll check about Sighax sometime.

Anyway I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm having another problem, with Luma this time, and its confusing me a bit. i'm using v6.6, and when I boot on my 3ds while holding select, the config menu does not show up. I also tried while on sysnand and on emunand. nothing. Maybe I should install an older version of Lumas?

second problem is this: you know how with rxtools there's a Rxtools sysnand? When you go to system settings, it says RX 9.2.0. Well how can you something similar with Lumas? I read this page: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Options-and-usage

It says you can use Sysnand FIRM while holding the R button. I tried the option on and off(I had to reinstall Lumas cause select button isn't working) but I don't think it does anything, just sends me to regular sysnand. The main reason why I'm trying to do this is cause I want to install Cias like Golden Sun. Currently I'm using Rxtools to go to sysnand, but I would like to just delete it and stick to Lumas.

Any tips or help would be great. :) Meantime I'll try some stuff and see if it works.

Also to those who are wondering, I didn't install Lumas before and stuck with rxtools all this time was cause...I just haven't had much time to do it.
arm9loaderhax is literally one button press with a 3% chance of failure. If you don't try and use shortcuts you'll be fine, god.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16