3DS XL's Sound is waaay to Low

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by superspudz2000, Jun 30, 2013.

1. superspudz2000
    OP

superspudz2000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 23, 2007
    Canada
    the sound on my 3DS XL seems rather low to me. much worse than the first 3DS.

it does vary by game, 3D classics are too loud, and Gunman Clive is barely audible, but the overall sound quality is pretty horrible. like when you turn off the BASS on your stereo all the way down. no depth or vibrancy to the sound at all.

i googled it and it seem to be a design flaw common to all 3DS XL's.

i wish i could send a message to nintendo execs: please make revision to the 3DS XL, remove the microphone, the 3 cameras, the gyroscope, even the 3D filter, just give us some decent sound quality so you can actually hear the games.

i wonder would it be possible to mod DSi speakers into a 3DS? probably just 2 wires to connect. but would it make the sound louder?

2. Gabelvampir

Gabelvampir Free Mars!

Mar 17, 2009
    Gambia, The
    K-Town
    It should work, but you won't be able to fit the speakers into the case.

3. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    xwatchmanx likes this.
  4. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    My XL is as loud as my old 3DS; both entirely too quiet, both speakers and headphone output. This DOES vary; I've read that lots of people have perfectly acceptable volumes as loud as older Nintendo portables, and I've played a loud 3DS at a store kiosk. I'm hoping that once the 3DS gets hacked, this problem might be addressed.

5. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    I have no problems with headphone volume on my 3DS XL, but speaker sound can be ridiculously quiet at times. This is especially apparent in pre-XL released games like Tales of the Abyss. The problem usually doesn't seem to be there with games released after the 3DS XL, though.

6. warmo161

warmo161 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    United Kingdom
    A house
    My 3ds and XL are super quiet, but it does depend on games but compared to other devices, like phones or ipods, then the 3ds consoles are definitely at the bottom, although professor layton 3D does have a option to increase the volume in-game to give it a boost

Think i might find sonic rush again to find out if it actually is loud, coz if i remember that one was one of the loudest ds games i've ever played...

7. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Am I the only person who thinks the speakers are fine? I mean, I never even have my volume on max, it's usually just half way up and I can hear it perfectly.

ICS, Slamicite and lismati like this.
  8. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I hate how low the volume is. I can't enjoy the sounds of the game unless there is absolutely no noise in the background, and even then, it's still quite low.

9. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    the volume of 3ds xl speakers is too low. though i was able to increase the volume in some ds games via in-game menu. other than these, headphones are the way to go.

10. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    It may also depend on the area you are in. I just returned from Dominican Republic and my house there has metal windows and cement walls. The acoustics were terrible. I could hardly hear my 3DS XL. Back in the states, I have a carpeted room with drywall and the speakers are "loud".

11. Wallydraigle

Wallydraigle Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States

You probably haven't destroyed your hearing by listening to loud music through headphones all day long every day.

NEP, Riyaz, Slamicite and 1 other person like this.
  12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The speakers are fine. On the 3DS, don't know about the XL. Though I hear the XL has weaker speakers than the 3DS.
    As long as there's little ambient noise, that is.
    If you're in a public place it becomes hard to hear your game :P But then again I prefer headphones in public places anyway.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  13. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I think I made the right choice ^_^

ICS likes this.
  14. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    It is confirmed that SOME 3DS systems have GOOD volume output, and some have SHITTY volume output. No need for this bologna. Go ahead and report this awful off-topic comment for deletion.

15. ICS

ICS Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2013
    I'm deaf in my left ear. I'm laying in bed with my 3DS XL to my left, and my left ear pointing to it. I've got the volume on half way and the sound is more than fine.

calmwaters likes this.
  16. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    You are not deaf. You are hearing impaired. Deafness is the inability to hear, at all.

17. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Have you tried getting a cable so you can hook up your 3DS to your computers speakers? You could turn the volume waaay up on your computer and enjoy the sound that way. :)

Damn, you spoiled the joke. It's not always needed to be extremely practical. It's like when that news anchor said she got knocked up last night.