Hardware 3DS-XL vs. 3DS vs. 2DS

Jstink101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Her guys, I am looking for some feedback on which console to get. The idea of the 3d looks interesting to me and I like the folding screens and really don't like the 2DS at all IMO. I thought I would throw it up there in case someone could prove some solid points for it. I currently use a DS-Lite and quite enjoy it but am looking for an upgrade to play the new pokemon.

My key factors;
Size and comfort on my hands. - I am 6'1" so I have large hands, the DS-Lite works but I'm wondering if larger screen's/models will be more comfortable?
SuperCARD Friendly - I currently have a DSTWO that I just bought that I am very happy with. The new model MUST be able to run the card.
Longevity - I typically play this sucker on long road trips or flights. So I am on it for 3-5 hours then charge it at the hotel destination. If it can make it that long without needing a charge it would be nice.
Storage - the main reason I don't like the 2DS is the storage. I like the collapsing screen for protection, as well as nice storage.
Future - I want one that wont be replaced in 6 months with a whole new system.. so if there is fear of releasing the next gen handheld PLEASE say something because I haven't heard anything yet. I also want the potential to see future flash cards working on the handhelds, I know they aren't too successful yet.

Things that don't really matter;
2D vs. 3D - I have a DS-Lite, there is no point in me upgrading to just get more 2D game selection. Hence why I don't care about the 2DS. (Although I am getting this to play the new Pokemon's. :rolleyes:)
Price - Not a big issue, its a long term investment for me.
Style - Don't care what it looks like or what sleek fancy things it does over another console.
Screen Size - The bigger screens are nice, but definitely not a deciding factor when it comes to comfort vs. screen size.

Help me get educated and make a decision please! :yaysp:

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should get a 3DS XL..

Size and comfort on my hands. - I too have large hands and I love the 3DS XL. It's way more comfortable than my old DS lite.
SuperCARD Friendly - DSTWO runs great in it
Longevity - I played Pokemon Y for about 4 hours yesterday on full screen brightness before it told me the battery was low (3D was shut off though).
Storage - I mean, it folds. No need to put it in some kind of sleeve to protect the screens. Just throw in it your bag or pocket (it does fit) and go.
Future - 2DS *JUST* came out so I highly doubt Nintendo has any plans to release anything else for a good while. They'll definitely come out with more special edition consoles, but format-wise they're going to be making 3DS games for awhile.

Keep in mind that using the 3D does kill the battery faster. Also, leaving the DSTWO in the console while the console is sleep will kill your battery super fast.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Honestly speaking, the only reason you'd buy the 2DS is when you're absolutely on a budget.

I say 3DS XL. I switched over from a regular 3DS and it was well worth it. Better battery, more comfortable buttons and nice grip. It doesn't feel much heavier on the hands too. And that expansive display is just gorgeous. Of course it has a lower ppi but it beats the 3DS screen imo.

VLinh

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For Super Smash Bros 3DS, I can see the 2DS being good since it'll be stable if you're doing like moves and such, with the 3DS and XL, the screen can wobble if playing intensely

I personally own a XL due to the size of my hands :wink:

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whatever size hands you have(mine are tiny) get an XL. On nearly every point the XL scores better for you. DO IT I say! ^O^ You won't regret it.

superspudz2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
2DS master race.

the DSi XL and 3DS Xl are Wafer Thin, so you wont gain any advantage Grip wise, and you will probably need a 3rd party plastic or rubber GRIP to keep it from slipping out of your hands and getting severe hand cramp.

i also think clamshell design is over rated. the gameboy line was fine back in the day, as was the Game Gear, GP2X, PSP-1000, and even iPhone

disadvantages of fold-able screen:

-screen wobble during fighting games
-fragile, more parts
-makes dissasembly overly complex
-still dosent keep out dust
-odd viewing angles

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSTWO works on anything, so it shouldn't be part of your decision. But you definitely need to keep in mind that it continues to drain your batteries even when the system is in sleep mode. Don't just close the lid and assume you're saving power, because you aren't, you need to actually turn the system off.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally own a regular 2DS,3DS,& 3DS XL & I personally would reccomend all 3 systems but in the end its your desicion that matters but I will say this upgrading to a new handheld is pointless if you keep it on thr same fw.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I actually like yveltal tons more than the deer, but that was what made me buy X actually. Go with what you normally don't. For the game I'm also using pokemon which I've never used before, minus trapinch that is.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess I'm late to the party, but I would have gone for a 3DS a/ Nyko Power Pack+ given the OP's requirements. I have both a 3DS and a 3DSXL. The XL is just big enough to be a problem portability wise if I'm not carrying a bag or wearing cargo pants. Also a 3DS w/ a NPP+ lasts longer than an XL on a single charge.

One is as comfortable to use as the other as the controls are laid out at the same distance from the shoulder buttons, so I can not recommend one over the other in this respect.

OTOH, the larger display on the XL and the distance one tends to hold a 3DS from their face to hit the Parallax Barrier "sweet spot" makes playing on it almost like a trip to an Omnimax 3D movie or wearing VR goggles. It's extremely immersive, I get far more lost in my games while playing on my XL than my regular 3DS. W/ a 3DS you can always see the blank space that surrounds the screen and the world behind it. W/ my XL all that seems to disappear.

You probably made the right choice, as long as you have over sized pockets. :-)

ghfghf7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love my 3ds XL the only issue I have is that I like to multi task and the XL is a bit heavy to be able to use with just one hand :P plus its too big to reach across the screen with one finger.

for normal use its SO nice you'll hate using a regular 3ds if you get one..... not hate it but youll be unimpressed ahha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?