Hardware 3DS XL Speculation

sixteenbuttons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could Nintendo already secretly be toying with the idea of a 3DS XL?

While the article is more about a 3D iPad rumor, it does hint that the Big N could be interested in /already has a larger (7 inch) 3D display.

SOURCE ARTICLE [Feb.20,2011]
QUOTE said:
Apple is considering taking on Sony and Nintendo in the gaming market with a 6 inch handheld iPad which suppliers in Asia say could have a 3D screen.

The device which at this stage is "purely" a prototype will, if launched, use a 3D display screen possibly made by Sharp who have also developed a 7 inch 3D display screen for Nintendo. Another supplier is tipped to be LG.
Not only does this story rumor an Apple 3d device in the works (which may not be a longshot with the 3D craze building momentum), but also rumors there has been a 7" 3D display developed for Nintendo. (compared to the current 3DS's 3.5" glasses free 3D display and the DSi XL's 4.2" standard display).

Does this mean that we can expect to see a 3ds XL someday? With the 3DS's already short battery life, the substitution of an even larger 3D Display is probably not even feasible without more hardware upgrades.
Could Nintendo still be toying with a prototype 3DS XL? If not, what could Nintendo's alleged 7" 3D display for?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bigger than 5in screen psp2 I doubt it.
laugh.gif

mercluke said:
7"?!?!
that would be a 3dsXXL, i don't buy it...
laugh.gif

Buy as in pay or as believe it?
tongue.gif

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
7 inch is too much. The most I can take is 4.5 inch. That said I really want Nintendo to roll out a XL version for those who owns a DSi XL.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually now that i think about it doubt that its anything to do with the ds....
Perhaps a tablet though....although a Nintendo sounds like a bad idea...(im sure they could sell it...they can sell anything with their I.P's)

Or it could be something Nintendo was just screwing around with and testing....like 3d on the GameCube and the 3d gameboy advance sp....

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fear Zoa said:
Actually now that i think about it doubt that its anything to do with the ds....
Perhaps a tablet though....although a Nintendo sounds like a bad idea...(im sure they could sell it...they can sell anything with their I.P's)

Or it could be something Nintendo was just screwing around with and testing....like 3d on the GameCube and the 3d gameboy advance sp....
IDk, but idn see them putting out a 7in screen "portable". Wiki states the 3DS screen is 3.53 in and xl 4.2 in.

They may go towards 4.5 - 5 in.

It must just be a testing screen idn see what they can used that for. A Nintendo tablet is to far fetch to me.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Joe88 said:
apple might beat them to the punch with ipad 2 which is suspected to be glasses free 3D
unless the ipad2 is released tomorrow then i doubt it because the 3ds is 2 days from release

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mercluke said:
Joe88 said:
apple might beat them to the punch with ipad 2 which is suspected to be glasses free 3D
unless the ipad2 is released tomorrow then i doubt it because the 3ds is 2 days from release
march 2 is the official announcement conference

I was referring to this 3DS XL (if its ever released)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
trumpet-205 said:
7 inch is too much. The most I can take is 4.5 inch.
smileipb2.png

The DSi XL is 7.25'' in diagonal (6.3 by 3.6 inches), and it could (in theory) fit a 7'' upper screen. A 7'' 3DS wouldn't have to be any larger than a DSi XL.
unsure.gif

That said, the 7'' is still pretty huge. Although I'm pretty sure they will release a revision of the 3DS at some point, I doubt they'll go that far.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Veho said:
The DSi XL is 7.25'' in diagonal (6.3 by 3.6 inches), and it could (in theory) fit a 7'' upper screen. A 7'' 3DS wouldn't have to be any larger than a DSi XL.

Well, this was my hope until the final design of 3DS was made public. Speakers should be moved elsewhere and the top part should be occupied from edge to edge by a big nice 3D screen.
Of course, this design would be not (less ?) compatible with the original DS, but who cares, backwards compatibility should not be stopping progress...

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
smileipb2.png

unsure.gif

That said, the 7'' is still pretty huge. Although I'm pretty sure they will release a revision of the 3DS at some point, I doubt they'll go that far.
Yeah but they would have to enlarge bottom screen as well. At some point physical size of the unit is going to be larger.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1