Hardware 3DS XL solder troubles

demonata08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i messed up. i soldered perfectly the dat0 line and i turned it over to do the chk and dropped the board. caught it by the wire and it ripped the copper pad off dat0. everything is fine with it. the board still works fine. but i cant solder that wire back. ive tried and theres no pad left to solder from. im wondering what my options are in that case? I like to think im decent at soldering. But im no expert. All that i know is that the pad is black. I tried scrapping it a little bit and using flux. but i messed with it for an hour last night and the solder wont stick. Any tips would be welcomed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You got closeup picture(s) of how bad it is?

Calling @Kubas_inko for professional hardware solution.

Why didn't you hack your 3DS XL with the safer seedminer or NTRboot flashcart methods?

If you intend to press your luck continuing hardmod with limited financial funds...

You can try bobo rigging it with a silver paste solder syringe and Ultraviolet light glue pen. The paste will bridge the wire to the trace, and the glue acts as a protective sheath. Be really careful not to leave silver paste where it's not suppose to go or you're going to have a bad time dab cleaning with rubbing alcohol, q-tip, and toothpick.

s-l225.jpg

bondic-700.jpg

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
"Professional" advice:
1. Find another pad/test point (or how is it called), which I don't think there are any (can be wrong, never really looked for more test points).
2. Scrape the protective film/layer on the copper line and solder to that (that's what hardware repair stores do most of the time)
3. Hack your 3ds via DSIware or flashcard.
Really. Why are you, in this state of 3ds hacking, going with the "hardest" method?

Also, this can be a reminder for you: Lower temperatures can work too! ;)

And if you want to go 100% hackerman, you can desolder NAND and read from it that way.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Without pictures it's not possible to say if this is fixable.
You should have used ntrboot or one of the other methods. There is really no excuse anymore for hardmods.

Last edited by ghjfdtg,

demonata08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done it SO many times. I actually enjoy doing it through this method. I dunno why. Taking apart stuff and putting it back together gets me some sweet dopamine kicks. Ill post pictures in a sec. i had it put back together

Okay idk. it wont show the picture. heres the link
m0fUVU

3SQXw6a

Last edited by demonata08,

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Ok. So, for that one, there is no other test point. You can try scraping the protective layer above the copper line and try to solder to that. Otherwise just hack it the normal way.
Those square pads on the left. Those might be another test point. But because you ripped it out, they might no longer be connected.

upload_2018-9-13_16-50-46.png

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

demonata08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a PSA real quick guys. (And thanks all for the help)

USE SEEDMINER METHOD!! I'm kinda an OG at this hacking but i havent kept up with the scene. when i was in it before it was flashcart or hardmod only.

This new method had me hacked for 2 bucks in 5 minutes. Pretty amazing. If youre finding this topic searching for the same thing i was. Just do that method.

thanks again guys.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a PSA real quick guys. (And thanks all for the help)

USE SEEDMINER METHOD!! I'm kinda an OG at this hacking but i havent kept up with the scene. when i was in it before it was flashcart or hardmod only.

This new method had me hacked for 2 bucks in 5 minutes. Pretty amazing. If youre finding this topic searching for the same thing i was. Just do that method.

thanks again guys.

That OG, huh? Here's a recap of what you might have missed.
  1. If you have any other 3DS systems, update all of them from arm9loaderhax (A9LH) to boot9strap (B9S). Do it.
  2. Decrypt9WIP is mostly dropped out of favor for its successor, GodMode9.
  3. Also, freeShop/ tikShop / CIAngel / TIKdevil are all dead. No ifs or buts.
  4. DS games can in fact be played on the SD card without flashcart now using DSiMenu++.
  5. Newer games (9.6.0+) require decrypting with FBI's Import Seed after installing.
  6. Wait? Why I'm listing this shit. Go here and read it.

demonata08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That OG, huh? Here's a recap of what you might have missed.
  1. If you have any other 3DS systems, update all of them from arm9loaderhax (A9LH) to boot9strap (B9S). Do it.
  2. Decrypt9WIP is mostly dropped out of favor for its successor, GodMode9.
  3. Also, freeShop/ tikShop / CIAngel / TIKdevil are all dead. No ifs or buts.
  4. DS games can in fact be played on the SD card without flashcart now using DSiMenu++.
  5. Newer games (9.6.0+) require decrypting with FBI's Import Seed after installing.
  6. Wait? Why I'm listing this shit. Go here and read it.

Thanks for the update! I literally just found out about freeshop 5 minutes ago. Thats a real bummer.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
  1. Decrypt9WIP is mostly dropped out of favor for its successor, GodMode9
Decrypt9 is still relevant for NAND restores as it uses a different method of writing to nand, which godmode9 does not have. So in some cases, godmode9 won't work but Decrypt9 will. Just so you both know ;)

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Decrypt9 is still relevant for NAND restores as it uses a different method of writing to nand, which godmode9 does not have. So in some cases, godmode9 won't work but Decrypt9 will. Just so you both know ;)

So I may have stretched the truth just a tad about Decrypt9WIP. At one point, I was thinking about using it to create New 3DS CTRTransfer images for the CHN and TWN region because GodMode9 doesn't(?) have that option in making them.

The idea doesn't work because new 3DS CHN/TWN never existed and you can't recreate them using what's available already from the other regions and models. I'm glad to know those images didn't appear out of the air as I could never figure out why GodMode9 didn't have that option.

It does has its uses, but only if you're not the typical or casual homebrewer, IMO.
I suppose @demonata08 doesn't fit that bill if he's a hardmodder.

Oh forgot to add other major 3DS tidbits he should know:
  • Gateway never updated their 3DS flashcart to work with the latest firmware. Coming Soon™. *psst* Never.
  • Theydid rebranded themselves under another name: Stargate 3DS. That flashcart too is borked in some ways.
  • Themely, the once popular theme manager app, met its demise due to the author doing some bad stuff.
    • Edit - Some other big time homebrew projects fell on the way side. However, JKSM is still a thing.
  • Homebrew discord apps were borked as well.
  • Don't put a n2DSXL in your pocket. It's a sensitive baby.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So i messed up. i soldered perfectly the dat0 line and i turned it over to do the chk and dropped the board. caught it by the wire and it ripped the copper pad off dat0. everything is fine with it. the board still works fine. but i cant solder that wire back. ive tried and theres no pad left to solder from. im wondering what my options are in that case? I like to think im decent at soldering. But im no expert. All that i know is that the pad is black. I tried scrapping it a little bit and using flux. but i messed with it for an hour last night and the solder wont stick. Any tips would be welcomed
Scraping the trace a bit and soldering a wire to it, while also trying to fill in the hole where the pad was (making sure the metal of the wire makes good contact with it) will make the most reliable connection AFAIK. But it takes skill to do it right.

demonata08

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scraping the trace a bit and soldering a wire to it, while also trying to fill in the hole where the pad was (making sure the metal of the wire makes good contact with it) will make the most reliable connection AFAIK. But it takes skill to do it right.

Yeah. I need a much fancier solder to pull that off. I ended up using a different method. Its funny how much easier its gotten these days..

Still mourning the freeshop though :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hello everyone