Meow-Meow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

this is my first post here, and I haven't owned a gameboy since the first iteration of the GBA, so pardon me if the questions are stupid.

So I really miss the old days of playing SNES games, and it really doesn't feel right on my computer.

The idea is to get an NDS or a 3DS to play mainly Nintendo and GBA games, but maybe also the occasional NDS gem, though I haven't figured out which that would be.

I'm assuming the 3DS has a 16:9 main screen, and the DSi has a 4:3? That would be a point in favour of the latter, since the SNES should have 4:3, right?

Which one wins in the battery-life arena?

I would have to pay a premium of around 70 quid for the newer console, is that justified when I want to play mainly SNES games? The only game that tickled my fancy on 3DS so far was Donkey Kong.

Thanks lots,

MeowMeow

Meow-Meow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I'm sure there's more than Donkey Kong to play on the 3DS, but I'm gaging if there are any advantages or disadvantages for getting a 3DS XL over a DSi XL when using mostly DSTWO.

Omer

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh I'm sure there's more than Donkey Kong to play on the 3DS, but I'm gaging if there are any advantages or disadvantages for getting a 3DS XL over a DSi XL when using mostly DSTWO.

For using mostly dstwo , get the dsi xl (the ds games on dsi have better looks than on 3ds)

BestR4i3DS.com

Trophies
Website
www.New3DSCard.com
XP
Country
United States
to play Donkey Kong 3DS, have to ways:
A: get a V4.1-V4.5 3DS + Gateway 3DS flashcarts, you can play download Donkey Kong 3DS roms(and almost all other 3DS roms) and play it for free;
B: get higher version 3DS (Such as V7.x, V8.x) + buy Donkey Kong 3ds games + DSTwo flashcarts

A plan will cost a little much at first;
B plan will cost much to buy games in the future.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
DSi and 3DS have very similar DS compatibility (many bootlegs blocked, no GBA slot or extra language modes of a DS lite).
Except DS games look sharper on DSi. 3DS upscales and filters them at default settings.

Right the wide screen is for 3DS games

Meow-Meow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an aside, if I buy an original game on the 3DS, can I transfer it to the SD-Card or do I always have to switch out the cartridges?

Also, with the DSTWO, can I play videos on one screen and GBA / SNES on the other? I know that's probably highly unlikely. ;)

Omer

Trophies
XP
Country
As an aside, if I buy an original game on the 3DS, can I transfer it to the SD-Card or do I always have to switch out the cartridges?

Also, with the DSTWO, can I play videos on one screen and GBA / SNES on the other? I know that's probably highly unlikely. ;)

For question one: Yes, if you have a gateway flashcard
For question two: Nope.That's a dream !!

Rocc0

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Does the DSTWO play nice with any and all Nintendo 3DS firmware?

What happens when the firmware gets updated?

Yes it does, and nothing happens anymore because Nintendo hasn't been blocking DS mode flashcart's in over 6-7 months now.

Even if they do for some reason start blocking DS mode flashcarts again, you're very likely going to be just fine with your DSTwo. Don't forget that DSTwo is the only flashcart that has never needed an hardware update. :)

(the ds games on dsi have better looks than on 3ds)
I disagree.

Meow-Meow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, somehow I wish you hadn't said that, because now I'm seriously tempted to get a 3DS and get really weird with it, like actually buy games such as the new Smash Brothers.

The notion of having a 'legit' 3DS to play online with and then just pop in the DSTWO and play emulated goodness is highly appealing.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a regular 3DS (not XL) that I use for Gateway, and just bought a DSi XL this week to use with the DSTwo. I would definitely go with the DSi XL for DS gaming.

The issue on the 3DS is the scaling, not the aspect ratio. The resolution 3DS is not a multiple of the DS, so a certain amount of scaling and filtering is required. It looks reasonable enough, but there is an an extremely noticeable lack of clarity, everything has a slightly blurry look to it because of the scaling. I can only imagine it would be even more noticeable on a 3DS XL.

By comparison, the DSi XL is pixel clear. Pin sharp. It really does look wonderful. I was unsure if I should get a DSi XL or wait for the New 3DS XL, but I'm glad I went with the DSi XL.

EDIT - I didn't realise this thread was already a few weeks old. Is this forum really so slow? Anyway, sorry for the necro.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

You could buy it on the eShop and keep it on the SD card that way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"