Hardware 3DS XL (not 'New' version) Charging Port Repair Options?

thetasigma2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just dusted off my old 3DS and trying to get it working fully again. Could use some advice as to what sort of difficulty etc this will need.

Apparently at some point it was dropped while charging and the pins on the internal connector seem to have bent. 90% certain they're not snapped as it'll still take a charge and show the orange charging indicator. Although I have to put the charge in at an angle and the slightest touch will cause it to lose contact.

I've seen a video suggesting if it's just bent pins, they can be shoved back into place with a sewing needle, although the way they appear to me, makes me think this isn't an option.
I've seen that you can re-solder a new charging port, but I have ZERO soldering skills and don't anyone that does. Also, is it even possible to source new charging ports these days?

Aside from that I was thinking it would be easier to simply replace the system, but found that they're surprisingly rare, even pre-owned these days. Even a 2DS or one of it's variants seems almost like gold dust lol.

I was also thinking about a charging dock, I assume these work via the two gold/brass/whatever contacts either side of the internal charging port, as these remind me of magnetic charging connectors on phones/tablets. Trouble is when I asked elsewhere, I was told such a thing doesn't exist officially and not to risk using a 3rd party one lest it burn out my 3DS completely. All I can find officially is 'New Nintendo 3DS XL' charging docks and ZERO for sale anywhere.

Please help!
Pictures available if they'll help assess the difficulty, but can't post as new user...

Last edited by thetasigma2,

yaum

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Welcome! You've got lots of questions here!

I've seen a video suggesting if it's just bent pins, they can be shoved back into place with a sewing needle, although the way they appear to me, makes me think this isn't an option.
Would be the preferred option for me, but would need pictures to be certain. There is nothing to loose to try fiddling around with the pins...

I've seen that you can re-solder a new charging port, but I have ZERO soldering skills and don't anyone that does.
Depending on the place you're leaving, there are lots of repair shops (usually specializing in smartphones) that can do the job.

Also, is it even possible to source new charging ports these days?
For sure, places like eBay or Aliexpress are listing lots of references from 1 to 5 pounds. Be weary about the exact model (o3DS/n3DS...)

Aside from that I was thinking it would be easier to simply replace the syste m, but found that they're surprisingly rare, even pre-owned these days. Even a 2DS or one of it's variants seems almost like gold dust lol.
Yup, this is crazy :)

I was also thinking about a charging dock, I assume these work via the two gold/brass/whatever contacts either side of the internal charging port, as these remind me of magnetic charging connectors on phones/tablets. Trouble is when I asked elsewhere, I was told such a thing doesn't exist officially and not to risk using a 3rd party one lest it burn out my 3DS completely. All I can find officially is 'New Nintendo 3DS XL' charging docks and ZERO for sale anywhere.
Regarding the existence of the dock, you cannot find new ones, but here was the initial product (not the "original Nintendo seal of quality" :)): https://www.takealot.com/nintendo-3ds-xl-cradle-power-adapter-3ds-xl/PLID32610181
And I found one for you - around 12 pounds, plus postage - listed there, worth a look.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393098485214

Last edited by yaum,

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My son did the same thing w/ his 3DS XL. At the time Nintendo had the official charging dock available and that worked perfectly for this situation. Even if Nintendo doesn't offer it anymore...just Google it and I'm sure you'll find an OEM for a reasonable price somewhere.

Last edited by djnate27,

thetasigma2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome! You've got lots of questions here!
And I found one for you - around 12 pounds, plus postage - listed there, worth a look.
<ebay link>
That ebay option sounds great, but the £10 postage from USA to UK is a bit of a kicker. I presume that style uses the 'pads' rather than the internal connector? Hard to tell from that image.
Oh, almost forgot to ask. What does the LL mean in that ebay posting? Would that affect the sizing/positioning of the charge connector?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh and another thought lol. Is the dock hard wired? Cos if it is and it's from the USA it'll likely have a USA style plug on it, so I'd need to invest in a USA --> UK adaptor. Assuming the voltage is even the same?

Attachments

• damage.jpg
    damage.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 195
  • damage 2.jpg
    damage 2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 143
  • cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 134

yaum

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That ebay option sounds great, but the £10 postage from USA to UK is a bit of a kicker. I presume that style uses the 'pads' rather than the internal connector? Hard to tell from that image.
Oh, almost forgot to ask. What does the LL mean in that ebay posting? Would that affect the sizing/positioning of the charge connector?
You're the one asking for an original product, that's more expensive :) In any case, I'm pretty sure that such cradles are popping from time to tome on eBay, or something like Gumtree in UK. I had a look in France and was able to find one: https://www.leboncoin.fr/consoles_jeux_video/2005698667.htm?ac=98969919

This cradle uses the external pads, when placing the console in it, that presses a button which gets two pins on the pads.

XL in europe / US = LL in japan. Those are exactly the same consoles apart from the region.

If I were you, I'd go ballistic on the pins and forcefully bend them back...

Oh and another thought lol. Is the dock hard wired? Cos if it is and it's from the USA it'll likely have a USA style plug on it, so I'd need to invest in a USA --> UK adaptor. Assuming the voltage is even the same?
The dock is wired using your 3DS charger, it is not provided through the ebay ad I've linked. No adapter needed apart yours.

But again, save yourself the hassle and bend back those pins!

thetasigma2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I were you, I'd go ballistic on the pins and forcefully bend them back...

But again, save yourself the hassle and bend back those pins!

Tried that a little, after reading your post, but don't wanna do it too much in case I snap them altogether. Then I'm stuck with a completely dead port, instead of very very flakey port, until I can get a dock.

And this'll make me sound like a right n00b, but... Is there any danger of bricking, or poor charging etc using an unofficial dock? Aka what are the risks? If any?

UPDATE
Well, tried the pin wrestling again and this time, seem to have got them to grip the cable pretty firmly. Might pick up a dock in future just in case though. And no more charging whilst drunk! :rofl2::grog:

yaum

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Tried that a little, after reading your post, but don't wanna do it too much in case I snap them altogether. Then I'm stuck with a completely dead port, instead of very very flakey port, until I can get a dock.

OK, understood.
FYI, once you get the dock, be aware that pins 6 & 2 are on the same power rail, and same for 1 & 5.
5 & 6 are getting straight to the pads, 1 & 2 straight in the charging port.
Even if you rip off the pins inside the charging ports (which I doubt), charge through cradle would work.
upload_2021-9-7_23-25-36.png

And this'll make me sound like a right n00b, but... Is there any danger of bricking, or poor charging etc using an unofficial dock? Aka what are the risks? If any?
Unofficial dock cannot brick anything, as explained, it's using your Nintendo official charger adapter to provide power to the dock, and then to the 3DS. You'll notice the charger cable connected to the cradle below, and when pressing on the red button, two pins get out, making a contact towards your charger.
upload_2021-9-7_23-32-27.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1