3DS XL -- No sound thru speakers, just headphones

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Saturosias, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Saturosias
    OP

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    (^ Title)

A few days ago the speakers on my 3DS XL worked just fine, then I played for maybe an hour or two with headphones plugged in then shut it down while in EmuNAND.
    Unplugged the headphones and let it sit on the table until today. Now I get no sound through the speakers, but headphones work just fine.

Already tried a reformat / rewriting a working NAND and it fails to resolve the problem. I can't find a similar thread online, so does anyone know what the issue could be?

2. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    The 3DS thinks headphones are still connected. Try shining a light into the headphone jack and check for dust/lint.

3. Saturosias
    OP

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    I did that first and didn't notice anything of the sort. What should I use to clean the headset port?

4. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Probably cleaning won't have any effect. You can try poking inside the connector with something plastic and seeing if the sound comes back.

5. Saturosias
    OP

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    Tried that for a couple of minutes with a plastic toothpick thing and nothing happened. :|

6. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    Blow into the jack or blast it with some compressed air (with the 3DS off). You can also try inserting and removing different pairs of headphones, especially the ones with microphones.

I had a similar issue on a Sony Xperia Z2 and this method worked.