Hacking 3DS XL NAND access via USB Mod

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
there shouldn't really be that much "force" involved,you can push it into the gap quite easy, then solder it in place if you want or solder the wires first then carefully slide it in by putting it in on a slight angle so it pokes out the hole, then pushing it down and back inside the case so its flush with the hole

Reactions: scicol

scicol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Success! Strange that I do not get a bluescreen, everything seems to be working fine though...

computerlife22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a really cool mod, although I have a minor suggestion. I'm a noob at this, so I don't know if it would be possible or not... but would it be possible to replace the 3DS charging port with a USB connection, somehow draw power from the 3DS itself for the card reader, and then just have one external port for both charging and NAND writing? I ask this because I have seen mods before where the DSi power port is replaced with a micro-usb connector, and I figured that might be possible in conjunction with this USB NAND reader/writer mod.

scicol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's definitely possible to use just one port, but I don't know whether it'd be possible to charge and transfer data at the same time. The microusb port is much smaller than the original charging port though, you'd have to do something to make it secure. I can see it being kind of fiddly to get the V and GND of the USB port connected to charging port.
I don't find the port that much of an inconvenience, I have a AC to USB plug and a USB to 3DS cable for charging.

scicol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ouch, whole point I did this mod was to be able to update Pokemon and Mario Kart. Should have remembered 7.2+ make emuNAND unbootable. gah :cry:

mattmout

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
I like this mod, thank you! I have been trying to make it work on my side but there is something wrong. If I leave the ground connected to the sdcard-reader, whatever the CMD and CLK lines are connected or nor the system does not boot up (I can dump the nand though if the CMD and CLK lines are connected to the reader). If I disconnected the GND then switch the CMD and CLK lines on, I get the bootrom screen (same error code as you) and on the computer I can see the reader but with no card inserted. And finally, still with the ground disconnected but with the CMD and CLK lines connected, the system boots up normally. Do you know how I can make it work correctly? It seems that I need to disconnected the command the clock but also the ground :/

thank you

Kwongger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking to do this. Is there a reason that a mini USB wouldn't work?

Also, I'm a bit new to the whole 3ds scene. Are there any higher res/more detailed pics anywhere?

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MiniUSB is usable, and has be implemented in regular 3DS models for this hack on a regular basis. You can see it installed on Smealum's red 3DS in many of his videos, including the latest release video of regionthree. MicroUSB just fits the 3DS XL much better than MiniUSB, as it requires no case modifications.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah i would suggest not using any sort of common power supply if you have children or anything around.....i know one user broke their 3ds by plugging a standard USB cable into the port........so i don't use USB ports no more as i wouldn't want anyone to accidentally completely ruin their 3ds

but if your the only user, or you know nobody will pick up your 3ds and plug a charger or USB cable into it there is no reason it wouldnt work

Kwongger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i would suggest not using any sort of common power supply if you have children or anything around.....i know one user broke their 3ds by plugging a standard USB cable into the port........so i don't use USB ports no more as i wouldn't want anyone to accidentally completely ruin their 3ds

but if your the only user, or you know nobody will pick up your 3ds and plug a charger or USB cable into it there is no reason it wouldnt work

Yeah... I'll be going with the 4-pin I've seen others use, and make some custom cables (4-pin to SD, don't even want usb to be involved).

I ordered a couple N3dsXL's, and am going to see if my bud in the UK can ship me a standard n3ds. Once I have a solid method, I'll be opening a site to unbrick and NAND mod all 3ds's. I've already built a rig to put an XL in to Hook it up to a PC w/o Soldering, just need to get it done for the other 3 models, and maybe the 2ds, but I haven't seen 2ds pinouts anywhere.

Thanks.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah... I'll be going with the 4-pin I've seen others use, and make some custom cables (4-pin to SD, don't even want usb to be involved).

I ordered a couple N3dsXL's, and am going to see if my bud in the UK can ship me a standard n3ds. Once I have a solid method, I'll be opening a site to unbrick and NAND mod all 3ds's. I've already built a rig to put an XL in to Hook it up to a PC w/o Soldering, just need to get it done for the other 3 models, and maybe the 2ds, but I haven't seen 2ds pinouts anywhere.

Thanks.
2ds is a pain for card reader compatibility, one user confirmed the pinout was good, but they also had issues getting their card readers to detect it, here's the pinout anyway....going to try another 4/5 SD readers today from my friend before i cave in and get the transcend card reader the person who got it working confirmed it worked with(hoping there isnt any sort of "revisions" though), but yeah im hoping the n3DS/n3DS XL get a pinout soon :D
https://gbatemp.net/entry/possible-2ds-nand-backup.10503/

D

Deleted User

wow sadly there s still no one answering my other thread about that Topic.... is there anyone in Germany making those USB NAND Mods? I really Need one to go deeper in the System, but can't solder too well to do the Task myself ... it's just too small :x

would need a mod for 3DS and a 3DS XL ...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
wow sadly there s still no one answering my other thread about that Topic.... is there anyone in Germany making those USB NAND Mods? I really Need one to go deeper in the System, but can't solder too well to do the Task myself ... it's just too small :x

you could try
https://gbatemp.net/members/chrisx930.334511/ he is apparently doing them and based in Germany.....but i haven't seen any of his work, so i cant really vouch for him more than he says he does them

weeandykidd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow this is impressive. If this did come in some sort of prefab kit it'd be cool but still much cleaner than other methods I've seen.

Kwongger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hmm. Not seen how the USB goes deeper. Have an explanation?

Haven't modded nintendo since GC days.

D

Deleted User

Hmm. Not seen how the USB goes deeper. Have an explanation?

Haven't modded nintendo since GC days.

well if my console cant get any brick at all i can always dig deeper into nand modding ... just a security for my 3ds :x better safe than sorry

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night