Hardware 3DS XL/LL Won't Load Certain Games

CoffeeOwl88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Japanese 3DS XL/LL that I homebrewed with the latest version of Luma. I also did a region change to US and everything seemed to work fine. I inserted a DS cartridge game and it wouldn't load. I inserted another DS cartridge game and it loaded just fine. I then tried my Pokemon Ultra Sun cartridge game but it would not load. I was able to load my Shovel Knight cartridge game just fine on it though. I thought maybe the cartridge reader was bad so I installed Pokemon Ultra Sun and had the same issue, the screens just stay black after opening the installed game. I tried a few games and some load up just fine and others don't and I don't see a pattern. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've installed custom firmware and region changed many 3DS and have never had this issue.

CoffeeOwl88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you be more specific? Perhaps they are all "extended memory mode" games.
What are extended memory mode games? I can come up with a list of games that don't work on it if that would help. Also, if extended memory mode games are causing the issue, why on this 3ds? I've done more than 20 Japanese 3ds at this time and haven't had that issue before.

GUEDES_et_al

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If your problem is extended memory games issue, you have to format after region change, and it will work properly. Did you format?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are extended memory mode games? I can come up with a list of games that don't work on it if that would help. Also, if extended memory mode games are causing the issue, why on this 3ds? I've done more than 20 Japanese 3ds at this time and haven't had that issue before.
for starters. is this a New console or a Old console type?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are extended memory mode games?
To put it simply, they are a category of games that are known to be problematic, particularly on the old 3DS. Pokemon USUM is definitely an extended memory mode game.

I can come up with a list of games that don't work on it if that would help.
Yes, why not?

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe USUM could be tasking for the 3DS LL, but not DS games or Shovel Knight. BTW, since it's a Japanese console is the system in English or Japanese? That would tell if a region change was done or not.

CoffeeOwl88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to answer everyone's questions, This is an Old 3DS LL. Someone suggested a format after region change but would this be relevant considering I'm having issues with the physical cartridge games too? The 3DS can play games without the SD card. Currently the system is in english, I did the region change myself.

Reactions: lone_wolf323

CoffeeOwl88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have another Old 3DS LL on hand with a region change as well. I tried to run Pokemon Ultra Sun and it also won't run... I'm guessing the region change has affected it somehow? I did run LumaLocaleSwitcher to change the region and language of the game but that did not seem to work.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have another Old 3DS LL on hand with a region change as well. I tried to run Pokemon Ultra Sun and it also won't run... I'm guessing the region change has affected it somehow? I did run LumaLocaleSwitcher to change the region and language of the game but that did not seem to work.
I assume a Japanese USUM cart wouldn't run either before you've changed the region (tell us if you've tried it), so the issue is the system not capable? Not the region change itself.

CoffeeOwl88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume a Japanese USUM cart wouldn't run either before you've changed the region (tell us if you've tried it), so the issue is the system not capable? Not the region change itself.
So I don't have a modded non-region changed 3ds on hand, but I do have one on the way and I'll be able to test that theory... Either way, I'm pretty sure I should be able to play any game on a modded 3DS, so if anyone knows a fix, let me know.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I don't have a modded non-region changed 3ds on hand, but I do have one on the way and I'll be able to test that theory... Either way, I'm pretty sure I should be able to play any game on a modded 3DS, so if anyone knows a fix, let me know.
Okay. I would suggest un-cheking "disable Arm11 error notification" if it's checked in Luma menu, you can access it by pressing select on boot. Try with a different cia file of USUM this time (from somewhere) and see if it acts the same, if it gives an error or just boots fine.

CoffeeOwl88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. I would suggest un-cheking "disable Arm11 error notification" if it's checked in Luma menu, you can access it by pressing select on boot. Try with a different cia file of USUM this time (from somewhere) and see if it acts the same, if it gives an error or just boots fine.
So I do have "disable Arm11" unchecked already. Also, it's not just USUM that does this. It is a bunch of games. I would also like to mention that I have a "New" 3DS LL that I also modded and region changed and all the games work on it, including the USUM game in CIA and cart format.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoffeeOwl88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You still haven't named more of the specific games you are having problems with, actually.
List of games I've discovered so far that won't run:

- Pokemon Sun/Moon
- Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon
- Super Smash Bros. 3DS
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- Detective Pikachu

List of games that do work:

- Pokemon X/Y
- Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- Fire Emblem: Echoes
- Mario Kart 7
- Miitopia
- Dead or Alive Dimensions

I have also attached a crash dump file if anyone is able to look at that. This error has only showed up once but it happened during trying to shut down the 3DS after Monster Hunter 4 failed to open.

Attachments

• crash_dump_00000000.7z
    1.9 KB · Views: 59

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Those are probably extended memory mode games, yes. In fact, this very question has come up before:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/smash-pokemon-others-not-working-after-region-change.600371/

Someone suggested a format after region change but would this be relevant considering I'm having issues with the physical cartridge games too?
Yes, region change leads to a lot of exotic problems. This is explicitly mentioned in The Guide:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/region-changing

CoffeeOwl88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So to answer everyone's questions, This is an Old 3DS LL. Someone suggested a format after region change but would this be relevant considering I'm having issues with the physical cartridge games too? The 3DS can play games without the SD card. Currently the system is in english, I did the region change myself.
Yes. It doesn't matter if it's a cart or cia, it's still an extended memory mode game.

CoffeeOwl88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to report back after trying what was suggested on this thread. So this method works great. After hacking, doing a region change, and then formatting, I'm able to play extended memory games without an issue. Thanks everyone for the help.

Slowwpo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to report back after trying what was suggested on this thread. So this method works great. After hacking, doing a region change, and then formatting, I'm able to play extended memory games without an issue. Thanks everyone for the help.
Hi I’m having the same issue. Do I click format from system settings?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: