Hardware 3DS XL Joystick problem help?

MRsonic699

OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Hi, I'm having some problems with my 3DS XL Joystick that are starting to annoy me. But first, my joystick works perfectly fine and it's actually moves smoothly compared to most XL's. The only problem I have is that everytime I'm using it, when I push it, it always gets just a bit stuck or feels like it's going over a bump just at it's halfway range point, in every direction.

Sometimes it's not that obvious, bit other times it really is, no matter how quick I'm pushing it. And if I move it to that point really slowly, it really does get stuck there. I'm assuming it can't be just dirt since it happens in every direction, so I have no idea why this would happen.

Does anyone know about this and how to fix it? Or the cause of it? I could open my 3DS XL to see, but is it safe and easy to get to the joystick? I don't wanna mess with anything else and potentially cause damage, I have a Zelda 3DS XL and no money for another one. It's really annoying, joystick movements aren't pleasant because of this problem, and I don't remember having it before. Please help if you can.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it feels like it's going over a bump it may just be that the rubber cover is wearing out. The part is not hard to replace, but I don't know where you can buy it. The procedure is the same for the 3DS and 3DS XL. The instructions say to remove the entire motherboard, but as long as you're careful, it's not really necessary.
It looks like this:

Reactions: Ozito

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you are having the same problem i was having... The crown of the stick broke and its causing the rubber head to fold over and cause friction on the 3ds Shell. look at the thread for pictures http://gbatemp.net/threads/broken-3ds-xl-thumbstick-where-to-get.363695
Ah, that's a great picture. That's what I was trying to get at, but I couldn't find the right words to describe it. Yeah, when the grey rubber head gets worn out from usage its underside can snag just a bit on the round opening in the housing, so it can feel like you're moving it over a round bump.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose it wouldn't hurt if you had a look around to see if you could make a temporary repair with some household items, but I did find this just now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Analog-Controller-Joystick-Cap-3DS-XL-3DS-LL-/161300680360

This problem reminds me of the issues with some Xbox 360 controllers in which the D-pad sits too low in the housing, causing it to strike against the plastic of the housing when pressed, which prevents it from depressing the rubber pad beneath and prevents a button press from being registered. People fixed that issue themselves by cutting out a circular section of thin, flexible plastic from the lid of a peanut can or other products and placed it between the underside of the D-pad and the rubber contact pad to raise it the necessary amount. I don't know if a similar solution is feasible here, but maybe you could come up with something.

Reactions: Ozito

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Ah I see, that really makes sense, I'm sure that's it. Can I at least temporarily repair it though or the only thing I can do is buy a replacement stick, or what?

Replacement caps are almost impossible to find, unless you salvage it from another 3DS or circle pad pro.
So do your best on repairing it.

Good luck!

I suppose it wouldn't hurt if you had a look around to see if you could make a temporary repair with some household items, but I did find this just now:http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Analog-Controller-Joystick-Cap-3DS-XL-3DS-LL-/161300680360

Those caps were impossible to find a couple of months back.

MRsonic699

OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I'm happy to say I was able to fix it myself :D

I opened the 3DS and unscrewed the joystick unit, and I saw one thin disc between the thumbstick and the joystick unit, that had a perfectly circular scratch on it, so I flipped it over. Before reassembling, I also cleaned everything I could with isopropylic alcohol, and there was a bit of dirt too. It works perfectly now, no problem at all. So apparently, just the super thin disc was the problem, somehow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse