Hardware 3DS XL has the black screen of death.

Tsuruhime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I turn on my 3DSXL. Blue light for battery, black screens, nothing else. No holding down power button for sleep mode or anything. Any ideas?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
When and how did this happen? What did you do on the 3DS the last time you used it (right before it died)?
We can't help you without more information.
It could be anything if we don't know what caused it and what you did.

Tsuruhime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rebuilt it. There are two ribbon chords that are not in their areas, the camera one(which wouldn't cause this) and a chord leading from the screen in front of the lower LED.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all parts need to be connected for the 3ds to turn on
I learned this when I tried to turn on the 3ds without one the triggers connected

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
all parts need to be connected for the 3ds to turn on
I learned this when I tried to turn on the 3ds without one the triggers connected
not true, its only really the screens and wifi module that need to be connected, everything else can be left off and it would still power on, so you could leave the L+R,volume control,microphone,circle-pad, touchscreen, sd slot (on the original 3DS) disconnected and the console would still boot up.....be a bit crazy witht he circle pad disconnected as it just always moves right, but stops after a few seconds, but for testing, you only need to connect the screens really

Reactions: cearp

Tsuruhime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I amde it better. All fo the chords are plugged in, excluding the camera, but now, when it turns off, it turns off with a clicking sound.

Tsuruhime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are all perfectly in.

So... Any ideas? Do certain ribbons have to go in a certain way, like those coming from the upper LED? I noticed they were spun around each other.

aireca

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on the same boat (it turns off with a clicking sound) but mine is a old blue 3ds, i honestly give up because i thought i broke a fuse, that was past year, please post here if you found something.

Tsuruhime

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, AIreca! You know, I didn't think people would say the answer, but now that you asked, I know for sure nobody will!

aireca

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have another 3ds try this: Play with the other 3DS until the battery light is red, almost empty, now put it in your black screen 3DS, set the 3d slider and volume off, it will turn on but as soon as you try something it will black screen, maybe you can find something i didn't.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Really the best route would be testing the motherboard in a different console to see if either of the screens is Broken or if it's a motherboard problem, but if you could of broke the cables uninstalling the first one, I wouldn't suggest putting a second in the firing line unless you be really careful not to pull on any wires or break anything......truth is it sounds like maybe you just didn't get the top LCD ribbon cable inserted properly, or it's been damaged when you tried to insert it if you pulled/twisted it too much which is pretty common for people to do

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are all perfectly in.

So... Any ideas? Do certain ribbons have to go in a certain way, like those coming from the upper LED? I noticed they were spun around each other.
Yes the ribbon cables has a specific orientation in which they must go back in as their pins wouldn't be same if the cable was flipped upside down.

I'm on the same boat (it turns off with a clicking sound) but mine is a old blue 3ds, i honestly give up because i thought i broke a fuse, that was past year, please post here if you found something.

It sounds like what happens when the LCD back light isn't properly seated. Also typically if you blow a fuse you can check then with a quick continuity test.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, it's CORD, not CHORD. Chord is for like music chords and stuff like that. If you didn't know, now you know, the more you know, and knowing is half the battleGIJOE

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I have seen the new 52 and dcau animated movies I think they take every opportunity to say his name "Dick", and they say it more often than should have been necessary
  • ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi:
    Good morning!
  • ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi:
    pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works and isnt yet banned, mine got banned yesterday
  • A @ anotherthing:
    The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @StatusN, welcome
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey qwerty look at that you ain't the youngest here anymore
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Had a question on 3ds
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    will one still be able to transfer pokemon from the ds 3ds games to Switch
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Supposedly Bank isn't going down.
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    i know they are @anotherthing but i modded m y 3ds last month and i installed pretendo but as my 3ds got banned i need a friend seed to unblock my 3ds
  • A @ anotherthing:
    You got banned from Pretendo?
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    online ban
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @anotherthing I think Nintendo should have just re released all pokemon games on the switch
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    let you transfer it all
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    bank got shutdown in april last year
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, yea the only game they rereleased are the game boy and games boy color ones (remakes don't count)
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    does anyone have a friend seed link to a seed that isnt already banned and is new, if anyone does then thanks
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty I refuse to get Nintendo Switch online
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    until they add pokemon mainline games
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could very easily do so
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i meant that they got rereleased in virtual console in 3ds
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty why cant they do so for the switch :sad:
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    A @ anotherthing: Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.