Hardware 3ds xl hardmod

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no real concise tutorial. Use a decent soldering iron/station, solder, 30 AWG wire (thicker will do but can lift pads), and flux (be sure to clean it off with rubbing alcohol). Use the DAT0, CLK, CMD, and GND points on an micro SD to SD adapter (follow the pinout of the micro adapter in the pic)and solder them to the corresponding points on the 3DS mobo.

sd-card-pinout.png

500px-CTR_NAND_pinout_XL.jpg
\

There are adapters you can use to make it a permanent mod. I use micro JST 4 pin 1.25mm pitch adapters.

Raztaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dont you use a sd adapter? Why the microsd pic?
What about micro usb connection?

I think i need "3dsxl Hardmod for Dummies"

Last edited by Raztaz,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Dont you use a sd adapter? Why the microsd pic?
What about micro usb connection?

I think i need "3dsxl Hardmod for Dummies"
honestly, "dummies" shouldn't really be trying to do their own nand mods, seen plenty of consoles screwed up by people trying to do a hardmod who have little/no soldering experience, people who do have experience soldering would generally be perfectly fine following the diagrams on themselves.......imho having a "noob" friendly guide would probably do more harm than good

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
honestly, "dummies" shouldn't really be trying to do their own nand mods, seen plenty of consoles screwed up by people trying to do a hardmod who have little/no soldering experience, people who do have experience soldering would generally be perfectly fine following the diagrams on themselves.......imho having a "noob" friendly guide would probably do more harm than good
Completely agree with this.
I purchased a ps2 for $20 to practice soldering on... I learned a lot in the process... Like my iron was terrible.. Tip too big, way too hot..
I ended up learning a lot for the EEVblog's soldering tut's too

If you've never soldered... its probably a bad idea to try it on your 3ds... One doesn't want to shell out more money on a new 3ds...

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a feeling he doesn't want to send it because of shipping rates. I understand that, because shipping round trip and paying for the mod is almost the price of a new O3DS XL.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have a feeling he doesn't want to send it because of shipping rates. I understand that, because shipping round trip and paying for the mod is almost the price of a new O3DS XL.
Yeah I understand that too, but also someone shelling out for soldering equipment etc would end up costing about the same unless they are planning to actually do soldering frequently and have the stuff for more than one use it would probably be better to just send it off to do and not risk breaking your console

But who knows some people can.pick stiff up easy and it comes naturally to them, but other people can spend weeks practicing and still not be very competent, so sure if you plan to learn the process you should also learn to follow diagrams :D

Spork Schivago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just something like this, but he can use whatever port he likes as long as it fits...
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is that for the XL or do you only need to use the four pins for the original 3DS as well?

I think if the original op knows the dangers and is okay with the risk, if they want to still continue, knowing very well that if they have little soldering experience or none at all, they will more than likely ruin their 3DS beyond the point of where an experienced person could be able to fix it, they should be given the info on how to fix it. We all had to start somewhere and although SMD components are totally different from through-hole, most new components being made are using SMD components. Maybe the OP can practice on different components around the house? What's nice with the XL, it looks like they just have to solder to some pads on the 3DS. With SMD components, a larger soldering iron, one not made for SMD components, can actually ruin the components by providing way to much heat way to quick. Thermal shock or something like that.

This is just my opinion though. I understand why people might be reluctant to give out the information. People with little experience have a tendency to just skim threads looking for the information they're after and not actually read about the dangers. Another problem is information changes. I followed a tutorial on a 360. It was outdated and wrong. People thought I ruined the 360 because I didn't have the experience, which wasn't the case. I have a good amount of experience soldering and fixing broken stuff. The problem was the tutorial was just wrong. I followed it to a tee and when it was written, the person who wrote it didn't fully understand what he was doing I guess. It fried my system. I made the mistake of thinking because it was the first google result, it was correct. I should of researched it further. I guess it's one of those mistakes that cost us but we learn from and never forget.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is that for the XL or do you only need to use the four pins for the original 3DS as well?

I think if the original op knows the dangers and is okay with the risk, if they want to still continue, knowing very well that if they have little soldering experience or none at all, they will more than likely ruin their 3DS beyond the point of where an experienced person could be able to fix it, they should be given the info on how to fix it. We all had to start somewhere and although SMD components are totally different from through-hole, most new components being made are using SMD components. Maybe the OP can practice on different components around the house? What's nice with the XL, it looks like they just have to solder to some pads on the 3DS. With SMD components, a larger soldering iron, one not made for SMD components, can actually ruin the components by providing way to much heat way to quick. Thermal shock or something like that.

This is just my opinion though. I understand why people might be reluctant to give out the information. People with little experience have a tendency to just skim threads looking for the information they're after and not actually read about the dangers. Another problem is information changes. I followed a tutorial on a 360. It was outdated and wrong. People thought I ruined the 360 because I didn't have the experience, which wasn't the case. I have a good amount of experience soldering and fixing broken stuff. The problem was the tutorial was just wrong. I followed it to a tee and when it was written, the person who wrote it didn't fully understand what he was doing I guess. It fried my system. I made the mistake of thinking because it was the first google result, it was correct. I should of researched it further. I guess it's one of those mistakes that cost us but we learn from and never forget.
yeah you only ever need 4, but you can use all 7 if you want faster read/write times but its non-essential, as for the rest, yeah i agree if people want to take the risk thats totally up to them, but the closest thread to a "for dummies" resulted in at least 5/6 consoles being sent to me with torn traces/lifted pads, damaged connectors, and just plain dead consoles, as much as i would love to do a super simple ABC thread, once its there people will try it and people will end up breaking boards and end up sending them off anyway to try to get them recovered (which makes the job 10 times harder for the people who offer the service).....basically they end up even more out of pocket,

as it stands right now basically anyone with even basic knowledge would understand the diagrams right away just one glance and its like "ah ok 4 wires, simple".....anyone needing more hand holding than that i genuinely think should reconsider their decision to attempt it, I'm all for people taking up soldering and the DIY approach and i have helped plenty of people in the past who seem to have the basics understood, but there is plenty of much better tutorials on how to solder, and soldering isnt really something you can just tell someone, sure you can advise and give tips, but its up to the person to learn it themselves and practice until they are confident they can solder without making a big mess, and tbh i would prefer not to have the "waaahhhh i did exactly what you said and now my 3DS is broke you b*****d" (even if you put a huge warning up on the post about the risks)

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also gave him all the info needed. Granted there are holes in the tutorial, but as gamesquest1 stated it's all even a mildly experienced person would need. It's kind of my way from protecting the completely inexperienced.

Spork Schivago

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah you only ever need 4, but you can use all 7 if you want faster read/write times but its non-essential, as for the rest, yeah i agree if people want to take the risk thats totally up to them, but the closest thread to a "for dummies" resulted in at least 5/6 consoles being sent to me with torn traces/lifted pads, damaged connectors, and just plain dead consoles, as much as i would love to do a super simple ABC thread, once its there people will try it and people will end up breaking boards and end up sending them off anyway to try to get them recovered (which makes the job 10 times harder for the people who offer the service).....basically they end up even more out of pocket,

as it stands right now basically anyone with even basic knowledge would understand the diagrams right away just one glance and its like "ah ok 4 wires, simple".....anyone needing more hand holding than that i genuinely think should reconsider their decision to attempt it, I'm all for people taking up soldering and the DIY approach and i have helped plenty of people in the past who seem to have the basics understood, but there is plenty of much better tutorials on how to solder, and soldering isnt really something you can just tell someone, sure you can advise and give tips, but its up to the person to learn it themselves and practice until they are confident they can solder without making a big mess, and tbh i would prefer not to have the "waaahhhh i did exactly what you said and now my 3DS is broke you b*****d" (even if you put a huge warning up on the post about the risks)

Thanks for the info! I've successfully made my mini-usb-to-SD adapter now. Gonna work on soldering it tomorrow. I understand what you're saying, and you're absolutely right. If they mess it up, they should expect no one to be able to fix it for them. I think another issue is although you could probably get away soldering something like this with a "normal" soldering iron, you really do need a soldering station designed for SMD components. Even then, it's extremely easy to lift pads / burn traces. However, without spending a good amount of cash on the proper equipment, just using a normal run of the mill iron, with absolutely no experience whatsoever, I doubt someone would even be able to make the adapter. I didn't realize how much of a PITA it was. I soldered my wires to the place where the MicroSD card goes. I have a Weller WX2 with a micro soldering iron to help. I also have a miniature vice and I was able to remove the pads, put them in the vice, and then solder them.

I know I've been looking at the pictures and although I'm fairly experienced with things of the this nature, I found them a little hard to follow. I had to assume some stuff and do more research. I guess that's probably why they're pictures though. It kinda forces people who haven't done it before and who want to try it to actually put in some effort and properly research how it all goes together. Still not sure what I'm supposed to do once I get the mini USB port hooked up to the 3DS though. Not sure how to actually copy the backed up NAND back to the 3DS. I'll burn that bridge when I get there I guess. Thanks

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I also gave him all the info needed. Granted there are holes in the tutorial, but as gamesquest1 stated it's all even a mildly experienced person would need. It's kind of my way from protecting the completely inexperienced.
I should of kept on reading before replying to gamequest1's post. I wanted to say, because of what you and gamesquest1 shared, you guys filled in a lot of the holes I needed filled in. What you two provided was exactly what I needed. Thanks.

Last edited by Spork Schivago,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse