3DS XL circle pad stopped working, not sure if hardware or software

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by julian06, Jun 11, 2014.

1. julian06
    OP

julian06 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 3, 2013
    Brazil
    My 3ds's circle pad stopped working, it started getting some bumps a good time ago, then it got stuck going up sometimes, but i just had to make one or two circles and it got back to normal, after some time it became worse, sometimes it got stuck to the right and stopped working.
    After some time the circle pad stopped responding completely and the 3ds recognize the circle pad as stuck on the right. But even if i disconnect the circle pad from the inside the 3ds still keeps going to the right for some time, then after about ten seconds it stops. Does anyone know what the problem is?

2. Ulieq

Ulieq GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2014
    United States
    Los Angeles, California
    I tried to tell people that the analog button on the xl is a piece of crap. Try playing Ocarina of time with it and it will drive you crazy,...it's like pushing a hockey puck over sand paper. It was bound to break.

3. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Dude your analog stick was probably faulty to begin with

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm going to hazard a guess that the system keeps the stick's calibration data saved, if the stick was off-center then removing it won't help you. Did you try calibrating the stick in System Settings? It probably won't fix the broken stick but it should counteract the "always right" problem you're experiencing.

5. julian06
    OP

julian06 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 3, 2013
    Brazil
    the strange thing is that even if i disconnect the stick from the 3ds, when i power it up it keeps going to the right for about 10 seconds and after that it works fine. If I go to the calibration screen with the stick on it shows me its stuck on the lower right corner and it does not recognize any movement, and if I go in there with the stick off it shows me that its pressed a little to the right. I even did a system format and changed nothing about the calibration.

6. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    That part is actually normal behavior. I'm not sure why, but whenever you boot a 3DS console without the analog stick connected the console responds as though you're moving it to the right for about 10 seconds.

You can try cleaning the analog stick (the internal part, I mean). Sometimes dirt can accumulate in there and cause it to get stuck in one direction or another. However, if that doesn't help you may need to replace it. However, I'd suggest you have a look at this thread to see if maybe you're having the same issue. The feeling that you're moving the circle pad over a bump could just mean that the rubber cap is worn out.

7. julian06
    OP

julian06 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 3, 2013
    Brazil
    I just tried using my gateway with the analog disconected, and when its on ds mode its always crazy going down.And when i open 3ds games it goes crazy to the right and down, but in the 3ds menu it does not move.

8. Ozito

Ozito Not a new member anymore

Mar 20, 2006
    Sweden
    See if you can stop it by doing what's done on the video and see if still goes crazy when playing games.
    3DS continually goes right

9. Tom

Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

Feb 9, 2009
    United States
    New jersey
    There is resistance in the analog pad even when it is centered, the 3ds sees no resistance and assumes it is in that position , once it sees there is no resistance it stops using it/recalibrates . Either or.