Hardware 3ds XL charging light is blinking

detectiveki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
hi all, my 3ds XL's light is blinking when i plug in the charger recently. And sometime, the light stop blinking and keep on for around 2-3mins, then switch off itself.
I have already replaced a new ac charger, but the problem is still there.

any one know what's the problem and how to deal with it?

detectiveki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Does it happen when you move the plug in the 3ds? Maybe the connector in the 3ds is loose
no, i try to move the plug in any position, still having the same problem. It is so strange that i can charge the 3DS sometime , but only for 2-3mins until the charging light has gone...

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The blinking light is pretty much letting you know the console is getting power, but there's no battery.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I know this post is super old but i just found out the blinking isn't expected behaviour.
And upon further inspection, my orange light stops blinking (sometimes) after a few minutes of blink-charging. It's not that the cable is bad, since moving it doesn't really make it charge normally or stop charging. I guess it's an issue with the charger, since i need to use a 110 to 220 transformer (because im in argentina and we use 220v). I guess that's why? Or maybe the battery is old and dying? i still can get many hours of gameplay on full charge so im not sure the battery has gone bad tbh, i don't think so.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this post is super old but i just found out the blinking isn't expected behaviour.
And upon further inspection, my orange light stops blinking (sometimes) after a few minutes of blink-charging. It's not that the cable is bad, since moving it doesn't really make it charge normally or stop charging. I guess it's an issue with the charger, since i need to use a 110 to 220 transformer (because im in argentina and we use 220v). I guess that's why? Or maybe the battery is old and dying? i still can get many hours of gameplay on full charge so im not sure the battery has gone bad tbh, i don't think so.
@placebo_yue, the issue with the blinking red LED but battery still in good condition and has lots of juice could be a failing powerboard.
You should try a different (good) battery to rule that out. The powerboards on the n3DS and n3DSXL are replaceable. On the other models, you might have to resort to replacing the motherboard if no one locally has a hot air work station to remove and solder in the replacement IC charging chip, etc.

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
@placebo_yue, the issue with the blinking red LED but battery still in good condition and has lots of juice could be a failing powerboard.
You should try a different (good) battery to rule that out. The powerboards on the n3DS and n3DSXL are replaceable. On the other models, you might have to resort to replacing the motherboard if no one locally has a hot air work station to remove and solder in the replacement IC charging chip, etc.
im from argentina and i have an o3ds, i think it'll be kinda hard to get replacement charging chip/port or whatever. The workstation is no issue i know people that work with microelectronics on a fairly professional tier. But if getting replacement parts ends up costing as much as a second hand new console it might not be worth it. I could try getting a new battery maybe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im from argentina and i have an o3ds, i think it'll be kinda hard to get replacement charging chip/port or whatever. The workstation is no issue i know people that work with microelectronics on a fairly professional tier. But if getting replacement parts ends up costing as much as a second hand new console it might not be worth it. I could try getting a new battery maybe
At step 15, the PMIC (power management integrated chip) is the one that's responsible keeping track of the battery level.

Also at step 15, the IC charging chip (the one found at the top right corner labelled CKP TI 09W ZF1T). If your o3DS charges the battery too slowly or not at all, that along with F1+F2 microfuses are also suspects. IC charging chip is made by Texas Instruments with the model part number, BQ24072.

If there's another dead 2DS/3DS laying around, your repair technician could use its motherboard as organ donor and transplant those chips over to your o3DS.

Reactions: placebo_yue

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hello everyone