Hardware 3DS XL boots to black screen of death. An error has occurred.

kjtemp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I bought a broken 3ds XL with the black screen of death and when turned on all seems normal but 3-4 seconds later screens turn black and I get the an error has occurred error. I have done research before hand and found that its usually the wifi card so unplugged it and replugged it. No change. So I kept the wifi card unplugged and when I turned on the 3ds the error went away but when I try to open anything the 3ds freezes. So I thought the 3ds must need the wifi card attached to run so maybe since the black screen error is due to wifi card I ordered a new wifi card. Got the card and same issue.

Found that if I hold R+L+UP+A when turning on the 3ds I can boot straight to the system update which does work. I'm able to configure the internet connection just fine and am able to connect to update and system update proceeds. Progress bar moves once and then just stays. Been like this for an hour. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

kjtemp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try replacing the WiFi module.

I did replace the WiFi card with a new card. Same error when plugged it. Does not matter if I turn the WiFi on or off either. I tried updating again using the key combination and update starts but never gets past the first tick of the progress bar.

kjtemp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you turn it off, then the 3DS should operate with a faulty WiFi.

With the WiFi turned off I get the same error 3-4 seconds when turned on. Remove the WiFi completely and I don't get the error but when I try to open anything it freezes.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the WiFi connector for dirt or rust. Try cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol on a brush. It's a good idea though to remove the motherboard first so you don't risk getting alcohol on the lower LCD.

Last edited by SmileCitrus,

kjtemp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the WiFi connector for dirt or rust. Try cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol on a brush. It's a good idea though to remove the motherboard first so you don't risk getting alcohol on the lower LCD.

Good idea I will try that. Is there a reason why I can't use the 3ds with the WiFi card removed?

kjtemp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The connector looked fine but cleaned it out anyway with a toothbrush and q tip but still no change.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse