Hardware 3DS XL bad screen after Hardmod! :( Bad image, pictures included.

dekuleon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So guys... I did a hardmod and some solder slipped in that little component "181", and I pulled slowly using the soldering iron.

The hardmod worked, but my Screens are very crappy now.
Bad image, crappy quality, whitish image.

So I tryed to see if something was desoldered, then I tryed to reapply solder into that "181" component but I think I couldn't because it is TOOO small.

Do you guys have any idea about the reason or it is really because of this?

I think I'm going to buy another motherboard for $50 :(

Any help is really apreciated!

bran.jpg
nn.png

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
hello!
First off, make sure you clear you motherboard properly with a isopropanol alcohol (99.8%+ alcohol), do it gently with a cutip, do not put pressure or strength...
After that, take another photo, from another angle, of your motherboard so we could see the other contacts of this 181 resistor array.

Good luck!

EDIT: it could be something else as well, of course... it could be another damaged component, the LCD flat not properly fit or damaged, etc. But you should definitely wipe clean your board first!

Last edited by mvmiranda,

dekuleon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's what I'm going to do tonight or tomorrow.
I'll clean as best as I can. My 3DS was PERFECT, untouched, very very good looking inside and outside! :(

I didn't touch any flat cable, but I'll check them again and again.

This is sad man... and both screens are bad! :(

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I know the feeling!
Well, open your 3DS again and carefully scan through the board looking for pieces of solder or anything like that. When you're not used to solder, sometimes it's easy to let a small solder drop... and they are sneaky man! trust me!

Double check everything under a good lighting...

If you don't see anything "out of the ordinary", unfortunately your RA 181 might by malfunctioning and will probably have to be switched.

Good luck!

dekuleon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I know the feeling!
Well, open your 3DS again and carefully scan through the board looking for pieces of solder or anything like that. When you're not used to solder, sometimes it's easy to let a small solder drop... and they are sneaky man! trust me!

Double check everything under a good lighting...

If you don't see anything "out of the ordinary", unfortunately your RA 181 might by malfunctioning and will probably have to be switched.

Good luck!

So the 181 is known to cause this if malfunctioning?

I have a spare 3DS XL board that my friend bricked by updating the sysnand with CIA with no backup!

Everything is untouched.

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, I don't know for sure, all I know it this was the only spot you "clearly" touched. That's why I suggested you to scan your motherboard looking to other places.
You can try to replace your RA, but before, try cleaning the board!

dekuleon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Take your soldering iron, wipe it clean, put some solder flux on that 181 resistor array, and melt each point with your iron. That should remove any solder bridges.

Hey man thanks!

I'll try that... the problem is not the bridges but I think the lag is not touching anything, the solder under it was removed I think, that resistor is too small for me, it is very tiny.

But I'll try...

Also I'm afrayd it the hot iron damadged the resistor, come on, it's too hot and maybe touching the 181 damadged it.

dekuleon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Resistors are generally not that fragile. I think it's very unlikely that the resistor array is damaged in any way.

Great to hear that.

Anyway, it is soo damn small... I'll try again, but the problem is how to make sure the solder stays on the leg of the resistor. It's too small even to see, the pictures make it much larger.

If I can't fix, I'll take it to a pro, mvmiranda since he is from my country too! :)

dekuleon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hello!
First off, make sure you clear you motherboard properly with a isopropanol alcohol (99.8%+ alcohol), do it gently with a cutip, do not put pressure or strength...
After that, take another photo, from another angle, of your motherboard so we could see the other contacts of this 181 resistor array.

Good luck!

EDIT: it could be something else as well, of course... it could be another damaged component, the LCD flat not properly fit or damaged, etc. But you should definitely wipe clean your board first!

Hey man, I tagged you to call your attention... but everyone else can help...

I switched the motherboard now, after more than 1 year, and guess what?! After switching the motherbard, the image is STILL very bad, and it's both screens, and both flats look perfect!!!

Oh my, what could it be?!?!

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hey man, I tagged you to call your attention... but everyone else can help...

I switched the motherboard now, after more than 1 year, and guess what?! After switching the motherbard, the image is STILL very bad, and it's both screens, and both flats look perfect!!!

Oh my, what could it be?!?!
Try asking a hardmodder?

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
this RA1 (181) component has nothing to do with the screens, it's for SD slot signal filtering, so if it's messed up - your system won't recognize SD cards, if it still does - then you're fine.
The white screens are due to not properly shutting off your system (for example, if it was still booting and you removed the battery while it was on without turning it off with the power button), so both LCDs are destroyed - you can't fix them, you'll need to replace the screens

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr