dafatkid27

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My question is similar to another thread's but the other way around, and I didn't want to get them confused, so bear with me please. I bought a 2DS to become my "legit" system (which could eventually transfer on to a legit US N3DS down the line, because I can't imagine Nintendo will release it without being patched first), and then I can downgrade my current legit 3DS XL.

I have a 7.2 crystal 2DS and a 9.2 3DS XL. Can I:

1) Create EmuNAND on 9.2 3DS XL (which currently has my NNID, eshop downloads, and so on), update the EmuNAND to 9.4
2) Update 2DS to (legit) 9.4
3) System transfer from 3DS EmuNAND 9.4 to 2DS legit 9.4, retaining all of my NNID info, purchases, etc
4) Downgrade my 3DS XL to 4.2 (or 4.5, whatever it is)

As far as I have gathered, I think this should work. Am I missing anything? And what will I lose in the process? Thanks in advance! Still learning.

Reactions: Arkansaw

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it is possible to transfer EmuNAND 9.4 to SysNAND 9.4, why not save the 2DS from SysNAND 9.4 and just do EmuNAND 9.4 for now and then EmuNAND 9.4 2DS to SysNAND 9.4 N3DS? That way you preserve your 2DS for Gateway's exploit.

dafatkid27

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it is possible to transfer EmuNAND 9.4 to SysNAND 9.4, why not save the 2DS from SysNAND 9.4 and just do EmuNAND 9.4 for now and then EmuNAND 9.4 2DS to SysNAND 9.4 N3DS? That way you preserve your 2DS for Gateway's exploit.

Ah, so you're saying:

EmuNAND to 9.4 the 3DS XL
EmuNAND to 9.4 the 2DS
System transfer EmuNAND 3DS to EmuNAND 2DS
Downgrade 3DS
I guess the only reason I didn't consider this is because I don't reall *need* two illegitimate 3DSes. The idea with the 2DS becoming the legit system is not having to worry about when it is safe to upgrade and so on- it's my worry-free device. But I guess it could work.

Reactions: DSlite2

dafatkid27

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You don't think there's a chance they could wise up and block my system transfer (2DS to N3DS) at some point?

I've also read (what I felt like was) conflicting information about still using retail carts with an EmuNAND system. I think my approach is a little different than a lot of this community's because I still plan to buy some retail games- I just want to have a downgraded system for the games I wouldn't normally plan to buy but still want to play, and not have to worry about what new versions or saves not working on EmuNAND or whatever. Mine is a very calculated but cautious approach.

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you've thought it out well. I'm actually in the process of trying this myself. I'm going to go EmuNAND 9.4 3DS XL to EmuNAND 9.4 2DS though. I want to test and make sure my eShop purchases will still work in SysNAND 8.1 on my 2DS. I have everything backed up. I'll let you know how this goes.

dafatkid27

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think you've thought it out well. I'm actually in the process of trying this myself. I'm going to go EmuNAND 9.4 3DS XL to EmuNAND 9.4 2DS though. I want to test and make sure my eShop purchases will still work in SysNAND 8.1 on my 2DS. I have everything backed up. I'll let you know how this goes.

Awesome! Do let me know- I may end up just going your route since you'll have experience.

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually already downgraded my 3DS XL from SysNAND 9.2 to 4.2 and was able to copy all my purchases back unto my SD card. The eShop games that support SysNAND 4.2 work. But the newer ones that require 7.x encryption don't work on SysNAND 4.2 but do work on EmuNAND 9.4. So I'll be transferring this setup on my 3DS XL to my 2DS. EmuNAND to EmuNAND.

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp... I attempted to do the transfer and something happened at the very end of it. The 2DS still wanted to complete the transfer but the 3DS XL already had and the system was already reset. So I attempted Round 2 of the transfer and was greeted with a message that I have to wait 7 days to do another transfer. So unless someone knows a way around that, I have to wait 7 days to try this again.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Welp... I attempted to do the transfer and something happened at the very end of it. The 2DS still wanted to complete the transfer but the 3DS XL already had and the system was already reset. So I attempted Round 2 of the transfer and was greeted with a message that I have to wait 7 days to do another transfer. So unless someone knows a way around that, I have to wait 7 days to try this again.

If it happened when doing a system transfer between two "legit" systems, I would recommend to contact Nintendo about it, but since this happened between two systems that had emuNAND your best shot is to wait 7 days (the check seems to be done at Nintendo's servers side, not console side).

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I'm running into an issue where my legit eShop games won't show up on my EmuNAND 9.4 but do show up and work on my SysNAND 4.2. Also can't access eShop on EmuNAND 9.4 because it had transferred my NNID. Trying to figure out how to restore that...

dafatkid27

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This post on maxconsole gives me a lot of hope: http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/286084-System-Transfer?p=1723284#post1723284

I just sent him a message about the process. I think I can do this.

Is there any point where the 3DSes restart? seems like that could be a weird thing. Also, do you get the option to copy the files over yourself in the system transfer, or is that only when moving to the N3DS?
Honestly, I'd just stick with your original plan of having your 9.4 sysNAND 2DS and a Gateway 9.4 emuNAND 3DS.

If you've got 2 systems i can't see why you'd need both on emuNAND. We have no idea whether Nintendo can detect and/or block systems running emuNAND.

We already know that the sky3DS flash cart which sufficiently emulates a real cartridge is an imperfect copy, and that according to respected members of the community it can be detected and blocked.

EmuNAND itself isn't a perfect 1:1 emulation of the actual NAND because it's been patched and modified by gateway to allow ROM loading and .cia installation.

You'd hate get your new3DS and discover that you're blocked from performing a system transfer from your 2DS because 'the security of the source system has been compromised' or something.

Reactions: escherbach

dafatkid27

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I'd just stick with your original plan of having your 9.4 sysNAND 2DS and a Gateway 9.4 emuNAND 3DS.

That's still my plan for sure!

1) EmuNAND 9.4 3DS XL
2) SysNAND 9.4 2DS
3) System transfer from 3DS EmuNAND 9.4 to 2DS legit 9.4, retaining all of my NNID info, purchases, etc
4) Downgrade my 3DS XL to 4.2

The only thing I am still struggling with is direct confirmation and/or guidance from someone who has done this before- but it sounds like Orange on that post has (he said he tried sys to emu and sys from emu, but not emu to emu). I'm just worried about screwing something up in the process, so ideally I'd like to find someone to confirm that what I am doing has been done successfully. But I may end up having to dive in and try it.

AmigaFred

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So ...

You can't downgrade a 9.4 without an hard mod to write your previously NAND backuped.

Don't try to write a SYSNAND & EMUNAND, from a console to another. It'll will make a brick. A NAND is for only one console.

The transfert should work, no problem with that.

If you want to downgrade your 3ds xl to 9.2, it's nice, but only if you have a hardware mod, and a backuped nand made before you upgrade to 9.4.

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still spending way too much of my time on this project. But the good news is that I was able to link my NNID to my 2DS and I am able to redownload all my purchased titles. This includes my all my Ambassador games as well as my Four Swords DSi game.

I had tried to just copy my original backup over but since it was from my 3DS XL, it wouldn't work in my 2DS. So redownloading them seems to be my only option. I may have lost my game saves but I don't care about that. I'm just glad I didn't lose my purchases.

I'm sure there is a much better method to this. Not sure if my transfer failed due to it being EmuNAND to EmuNAND or not. My recommendation is to be careful, backup everything first, have a spare SD, and make sure you have the time (hours if needed) to put into this project.

dafatkid27

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can't downgrade a 9.4 without an hard mod to write your previously NAND backuped.

I won't be downgrading 9.4 - my 3DS XL SysNAND is 9.2, but its EmuNAND is 9.4. So I should be able to downgrade! and then my 2DS (which will be at SysNAND 9.4) will be the target for the transfer.

I'm still spending way too much of my time on this project. But the good news is that I was able to link my NNID to my 2DS and I am able to redownload all my purchased titles. This includes my all my Ambassador games as well as my Four Swords DSi game.

Awesome! This is my worst case scenario, but that's not worst at all. As long as I still "own" all of the things I paid for, that's what's important. Silly Nintendo and their lack of a true online cloud account.

AmigaFred

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The transfert of NNID of your 3ds xl emunand 9.4 --> 2ds sysnand 9.4 must work.

if you backup your emunand 9.4, and all the data of the sd of the 3ds xl, make the transfert, and restore all the file of the SD and restore the emunand, you should be abble to play of the game of the two console, but never try to go to eshop (games may be deleted).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse