3DS XL -- 6.1.0 -12U what are my options?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cr0n_J0b, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Cr0n_J0b
    OP

Cr0n_J0b Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Hey folks,

I just bought my kids some 3DSXL systems under the mistaken impression that I could use .3ds roms on those systems. I bought new R4 Gold carts, which said they were compatible with the console and the I did get the wood kernel working, but I can't see any 3DS roms on the cart. Based on reading, I would guess that the cart is not compatible for playing 3DS games and only supports DS Roms...correct?

What are my options? Are there carts that will work for me, or nothing yet?

thanks for the help and merry Christmas.

2. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    If the firmware of the 3DS is greater than 4.5, your only option is to buy games. If not, you can buy the Gateway cart for around $80.

Edit: Just saw the topic title. You're out of luck. Probably should've done some reading before buying everything :P

3. crazyace2011

crazyace2011 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    United States
    do you have a link to the card that you have? as there are different cards that say something about 3ds.

4. phanteon

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    ^

there is no known way to play .3ds roms in consoles with firmware grater than 4.5.
    if you really want to play roms, sell that console a find a second hand one in firmware 4.1-4.5.

5. crazyace2011

Jun 20, 2011
    United States

I was asking if his card was a 3ds card to play 3ds roms or if it was a ds card that would work on 3ds system. so I can get a idea of what he has.

6. dagro

dagro GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2013
  7. crazyace2011

Jun 20, 2011
    United States
    I got the crimson black from toysrus for 169 and it has firmware 4.2.0-9u and the box had 2012 copyright.

8. RenegadeKid

RenegadeKid GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2013
    France
    You don't have any options unfortunately.

The exploit previously used was patched. The hackers need to find another exploit to hack the 3DS on 5.1 and above.

9. Cr0n_J0b
    OP

Cr0n_J0b Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    thanks for all of the responses. I really should have come here first, before buying, but it was a black Friday deal...so there you go. I guess we'll be buying a few games until I figure out an alternative.

thanks!

10. skitariister

skitariister Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2013
    United States
    How many sacrifices do we need to make before one day we will be granted 3DS flashcarts beyond the 4.5?

11. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    This is an extremely ignorant post, as you have no idea about the work that it'd take to accomplish this. Instead of thinking about how this is hard for you, think about the devs working on accomplishing the task that you make "sacrifices" to wait for.

12. jrr6415sun

jrr6415sun GBAtemp Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    United States

it sounded just like a joke to me..

13. IronClouds

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Well, the imperfect English in that post made it more believable as a serious post to me. Just the way I saw it, is all. But if it is a joke, then my mistake, I suppose.

14. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Yep, to me it read as if he intended it to be like a blood sacrifice to the "gods" of hacking that they might bless the efforts of those valiant hackers seeking to accomplish this task.

And if I'm wrong, hey, I'm due.

15. tarayaba

tarayaba Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2013

he was probably joking, but your reply would make much more sense if the devs were uploading a CFW instead of a card that is sold for ???% it's manufacturing costs.

Don't take it the wrong way, i think what has been acomplished is great and all, and i am sure that they are working their hardest to find a way to get it working on 4.5+, but they are making a big profit here, not just draining their blood sweat and tears so we can play the pokemon rom.

16. skitariister

skitariister Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2013
    United States

I was talking about how many goats, chickens, and cows that need to be sacrificed.

For the dark gods!

IronClouds likes this.
  17. IronClouds

May 8, 2010
    United States
    But that's just how it is in the flashcart world though. You have the means to develop the firmware for a flashcart that you can have produced, then you are able to turn a profit on it (assuming it's successful, but that's not my point). Just because one is getting money out of it doesn't make the process any less difficult -- it just makes the bills easier to get paid.