3ds won’t turn on without sd card(sadly I formatted the card)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by FeelinLucky12, Nov 28, 2019.

1. FeelinLucky12
    OP

FeelinLucky12 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2017
    United States
    there kinda is a solution to my problem. Which is the “Format your SD card, and the 3ds won’t turn on” problem. And I have already fixed this before. People kept saying to download 7.1 of Luma (which was not working) short story short, I had to download a previous version. Since that previous version was the original file I downloaded. I have forgotten the version, but the version was something around 6. Something. And it was working again. That was all on my 3ds, now I have a 2ds. And once again it’s the same thing. I accidentally formatted the SD card and the light flashes blue and won’t turn on. I have downloaded every single version, and it still won’t turn on. I have installed all the necessary files( from soundhax ) and I don’t remember the version I had. Only thing I remember was, that I done this 2 years ago. So any help would be great

2. RyuShinobi500

RyuShinobi500 Coder

Oct 25, 2019
    United States

Last edited by RyuShinobi500, Dec 2, 2019
    alexander1970 likes this.
  3. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    Make sure your SD is formatted FAT32 and fully working.
    Check SD
    Also try a different SD.
    • Put boot.firm from the latest v10.0.1 release of Luma3DS on an empty SD and try to start the 3DS
    • If this fails try boot.firm from the v7.1 release of Luma3DS
    • Lastly try arm9loaderhax.bin from the v7.0.5 release
    If it worked just before formatting the SD it should not be a hardware issue.

alexander1970 likes this.
  4. FeelinLucky12
    OP

FeelinLucky12 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2017
    United States
    I have tried the first, second, and third. when I turned on my 2ds nothing happened like usually. But instead when I grabbed my SD card and insert it back in my Mac, a new file called Luma appeared. So clearly something happened. But my Mac still not turning on.

5. RyuShinobi500

RyuShinobi500 Coder

Oct 25, 2019
    United States

6. FeelinLucky12
    OP

FeelinLucky12 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2017
    United States
    I have tried all 3 of your methods. And like before, same thing happened. But something interesting happened, when I inserted my SD card in my Mac. It now has a Luma folder with nothing in it. So something happened?

7. RyuShinobi500

RyuShinobi500 Coder

Oct 25, 2019
    United States

8. RyuShinobi500

RyuShinobi500 Coder

Oct 25, 2019
    United States
    1: Make sure your SD card has all of the necessary folders such as luma and gm9 if your SD card is missing any of these folders follow the CFW guide here https://3ds.hacks.guide/

2: Once you have followed this guide you should have setup Luma3DS to CTRNAND and so you should try to power your 3ds on with the SD card in it if it does not power on with the SD card try to power it on without the SD card and see if the results are different

3: If it powers on with the SD card great problem solved but if it does not power on with the SD card then insert the SD card into your PC and extract the folder labeled Nintendo 3DS place this in a safe location as so it does not get deleted and try to power the 3ds with the SD card in it and see if it works now

4: If it does work you should be greeted by a blank home menu and it will generate home menu management information (another Nintendo 3DS folder) and all of your games are should be gone and so to get them back you need to do this

5: With the old Nintendo 3DS folder in the root of the SD card boot Godmode9 and follow these instructions

6: To get your games back Navigate to [A:] SYSNAND SD/title/Highest directory on the list/A directory of your choice/content/ select a file in this directory that has the .app extension then select NCCH image options/Show title info(this shows a picture of the game if is says title info not found select another file with the .app extension)/Build Cia From File wait for this process to complete and a .cia file should have been built to 0:/gm9/out

7: To get your save data back Navigate to [A:] SYSNAND SD/title/Highest directory on the list/A directory of your choice/data/save/ extract the file within this directory with the .dat extension save this file to a safe location and restore it later using a save manager

8: When this is all said and done swap the old Nintendo 3DS folder with the new one then install all of your games and restore your save data

I hope this works if it does not notify me and tell me what worked and what did not and I will try to provide further assistance -Ryu

9. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Either find a separate Windows computer or bootcamp into Windows OS when reformatting the SD card with the necessary settings.

Another possible option
    If your 3DS system is already hacked with custom firmware, has CTRNAND Luma3DS, and CTRNAND GodMode9.
    • [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/boot.firm (Luma3DS)
    • [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/rw/luma/payloads/GodMode9.firm
    , you can reformat the SD card with the 3DS.
    • GodMode9 → (HOME) button → SD format menu → etc.
      • Reformat on a blank or empty card.
      • Pick the 32KB cluster size if the card is 64 GB or smaller.
      • You may choose 64KB cluster size if the card is instead 128 GB or bigger.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted