3DS won't boot to home menu after fastboot3ds band backup

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by NicknameGoesHere, Feb 11, 2018.

1. NicknameGoesHere
    OP

NicknameGoesHere RIP my sanity: 2018-2018

Jul 11, 2017
    United States
    I installed fastboot3ds on my 3ds, and it worked perfectly fine. But, after I made a nand backup with it, my 3ds won't boot to the home menu in my sysnand or emunand, both of which are 11.6. I have since gone back to b9s, and can boot .firm files and Luna chainloader.

2. NicknameGoesHere
    OP

Jul 11, 2017
    United States
    I have also restored a nand backup from 11.5, but it still won't boot.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ok so I removed my SD card and my flashcard, and the 3ds booted

But I checked the nand backup that fastboot3ds made, and it was corrupt

3. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Germany
    That does sound a whole lot like a defective SD card, and with that a defective NAND backup. In theory, fastboot3DS could check the SD card before doing anything, in reality though... want to wait for 6+h while your 3DS' slow SD card reader / writer does that?

Anyways, we need clarification. Try with only the SD and with only the flashcard. Does it work in one of those ways? Your flashcart may be defective and stopping P9 from booting. Trying it in another 3DS / DS may be worth looking into. Also test your SD card, on your computer, with H2Testw.

What did you use to verify the NAND backup? GodMode9? What was the exact error message?

4. NicknameGoesHere
    OP

Jul 11, 2017
    United States
    Ok, so I checked my SD card, and it's perfectly fine. The 3ds booted with the SD card, and sometimes booted with the flashcard inserted. The flashcard is a R4i Gold 3ds (One of the first two supported by ntrboot) It seems to work fine on my other two 3ds consoles. And I tried to restore the nand backup that fastboot3ds made in godmode9, where it told me "No nand FIRM. Nand backup file is corrupt." I had one from earlier, as I said before, that worked fine. I have since reinstalled fastboot3ds, along with the system firmware to 11.6, and it continues to work fine.

Last edited by NicknameGoesHere, Feb 13, 2018
  5. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Germany
    Something may be weird with your console. If it works now, it's fine, but keep it under observation. It would also help if you do another NAND backup in fastboot3DS, check that in GodMode9, and tell us about the results.

6. NicknameGoesHere
    OP

Jul 11, 2017
    United States
    I haven't had any problems with the 3ds booting since, even with the flashcart inserted. Heck I haven't had any problems doing anything (Besides Retroarch, every time I launch it, I see the fastboot3ds boot screen, and if i press continue boot, I see a luma kernel 11 panic.) I'm currently working on making another NAND backup.

Last edited by NicknameGoesHere, Feb 15, 2018
  7. NicknameGoesHere
    OP

Jul 11, 2017
    United States
    These are images of what Godmode9 said about the NAND backup (I messed up the name of the backup with a photo editor so nobody would see my serial. It is not messed up in real life, it just has normal text):

Images

8. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Germany
    No idea what happens there.

Okay... could you redo the NAND backup and then retry validating it in GodMode9?

9. GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2009
    had something funny like this a while back. trying to launch a game I got fastboot3ds, loading luma from there next time I tried to start something I had a kernel crash. it went away after a couple of crashes though.

10. NicknameGoesHere
    OP

Jul 11, 2017
    United States
    That was the second NAND backup

11. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Germany
    Okay, that's bad and we need to get behind this.

Can you try to mount this NAND backup in GM9? What do you get? Do you see the mounted CTRNAND / TWLN / TWLP partitions?

12. PowerBall253

PowerBall253 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    This is weird, I have made a lot of NAND backups from fastboot3DS and none of them was corrupted...

Last edited by PowerBall253, Feb 17, 2018
  13. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Germany
    Maybe you could also try doing the NAND backup from GM9, see if that's different @NicknameGoesHere

14. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Germany
    Did you want to write that none of them was corrupted?

15. PowerBall253

PowerBall253 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    Yes

16. NicknameGoesHere
    OP

Jul 11, 2017
    United States
    Done that, and it seemed to fail.

Yes, I can see all of those partitions with the correct files.

Ok, this is really weird... I reinstalled Godmode9 again and now the NAND backup verifies properly. Sorry for all the trouble. (I reinstalled Godmode9 when the first NAND verification failed.)

Just to make it clear... This was because of an odd godmode9 validation issue, not the actual NAND backup.

17. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Dec 3, 2004
    Germany
    So, that means if you restore this now, it works?

18. NicknameGoesHere
    OP

Jul 11, 2017
    United States
    The validation works and all the files are there, though I haven't restored a nand backup yet