Hacking 3DS won't boot - black screen after injecting FBI (Section V) - Plailect's guide

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,238
  • Replies 27
D

Deleted User

OP
Used: Nintendo 3DS XL (old) with firmware between 4.0.0 - 4.5.0 | using the Decrypt9 (Browser) method/entry-point

I was following Plailect's guide and everything was going well until on "Part 3 Section V - Injecting FBI". I was on Step 8 and accidentally "Health&Safety Inject" the hs.app INSTEAD of the FBI_inject_with_banner.app. So I pressed (B) and re-did it again with the correct one (the FBI_inject_with_banner.app). It succeeded then I went to the main menu (of Hourglass9), then pressed Start to reboot but ended up with a black screen. Nothing shows up just a back-lit screen. I made sure to follow the guide carefully besides this 1 mistake.

This is what I've done afterwards and probably shouldn't have done but I did end up with the same result anyway:
I restored the sysNAND (through Hourglass9) and was able to boot back the the 3DS's home screen, back to my original firmware before attempting any of this but the console still won't boot without the SD card (Luma3DS and Hourglass9 still work when powering on holding Select or Start). I've tried re-doing some of the sections in the guide in hopes I can get it working but the same thing happened.

Here are some things I've tried:
- Removing the SD card from my 3DS won't power on the console (blue light flashes then quickly fades)
- Tried the test payload from the troubleshooting page and was able to power off the console by pressing (A), meaning my console isn't bricked according to the troubleshooting page.

So is there any way to get it working again or restore to true factory settings (removing Luma3DS, Hourglass9 and be able to power on without SD card) without updating the console? I also want to note that I was able to boot into version 2.1.0 at one point earlier in the guide so I'm thinking "Part 3 Section V - Injecting FBI" is where thinks went wrong.

sorry if this is not the right place to post this, it seems like the right place :/

Bohamad93

Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
Removing the SD card from my 3DS won't power on the console (blue light flashes then quickly fades)

Normal if you installed a9lh.

D

Deleted User

OP
Removing the SD card from my 3DS won't power on the console (blue light flashes then quickly fades)

Normal if you installed a9lh.

I'm sure I have. Any way to remove it so I can try to start all over again maybe?

D

Deleted User

OP
Why dou you want start again? All its ok...when you install a9lh you cant boot without sd...unless you install Aurora a9lh v3 or shadownand...
I'm completely new to 3DS cfw/hacking scene or whatever you wanna call it. I want to completely revert back before I began because I might look for another guide.. can someone lead me in the right path?

Last edited by ,

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as a side note, the guide you followed is the gold standard in terms of simplicity, success rate, and being up to date, you will not find a better guide out there, and certainly not one that will help you with this problem. Moving on from there, two things:

1. What firmware version were you on when you last booted your 3ds successfully?
2. Were you ever able to boot successfully after installing arm9loaderhax?

Edit: Also to expand on the guide itself, most of us have hacked our 3ds's (successfully) using thst guide. Most of those who haven't only didn't because it wasn't available at the time. This is the only guide we can absolutely help you on, and people will be less willing to help if you follow other guides. Also, if you want to ask about the same guide in another place, go to the 3dshacks subreddit. Plailect, who writes, updates, and maintains the guide, even sometimes answers questions himself there.

Last edited by ThisIsDaAccount,
D

Deleted User

OP
Try again. This is the best guide
I can't completely start over again because I don't know how to make the 3DS boot without the SD card (or how to install Aurora a9lh v3 or shadownand like the person said somewhere above) and also the Decrypt9 web browser exploit thing doesn't work anymore for some reason even though when I reset sysNAND back to the original firmware. Until I get passed these 2 issues I don't think I can completely re-do the guide from scratch.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't completely start over again because I don't know how to make the 3DS boot without the SD card (or how to install Aurora a9lh v3 or shadownand like the person said somewhere above) and also the Decrypt9 web browser exploit thing doesn't work anymore for some reason even though when I reset sysNAND back to the original firmware. Until I get passed these 2 issues I don't think I can completely re-do the guide from scratch.

Shadownand isn't difficult to install, but will not solve your problems if you can't boot with an sd; in fact, it might make it worse, becuase sd-less A9LH builds are cutting-edge experimental and not completely free of flaws.

Edit: I have a small inkling of an idea you can try if you answer rhe two questions I previously asked.

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question. Had you already updated and made sure it booted?

D

Deleted User

OP
Shadownand isn't difficult to install, but will not solve your problems if you can't boot with an sd; in fact, it might make it worse, becuase sd-less A9LH builds are cutting-edge experimental and not completely free of flaws.

Edit: I have a small inkling of an idea you can try if you answer rhe two questions I previously asked.
I can boot with the SD I'm using. I can't boot the 3DS without it (will just show black screen).
1. I was on version 2.1.0
2. I clearly remember installing arm9loaderhax (it was fast) but I can't remember if I booted again to the 3DS menu screen afterwards. I might of went straight to the next step "section III - Configuring Luma3DS". I might of got a black screen but overlooked it and continued on with the guide.

Last edited by ,

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can boot with the SD I'm using. I can't boot the 3DS without it (will just show black screen).
1. I was on version 2.1.0
2. I clearly remember installing arm9loaderhax (it was fast) but I can't remember if I booted again to the 3DS menu screen afterwards. I might of went straight to "section III - Configuring Luma3DS". I might of got a black screen but overlooked it and continued on with the guide.
Ok, I see. The issue here is not that you installed hs.app by accident, because that should have no effect whatsoever. The issue is that you were supposed to install arm9loaderhax, then configure luma3ds settings, then flash your band backup. Luma3ds may not boot firmware 2.1 and you certainly were not supposed to inject into H&S on that firmware number. What I would recommend is that you flash your Nandmin.bin file if you haven't already, and if you have and it doesn't work do the following:

1. Make another Nand backup just in case.
2. Follow the 9.2 ctrtransfer section of the guide. Make sure to have a backup of your original nandmin.bin before doing so because you might accidentally override it.

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm completely new to 3DS cfw/hacking scene or whatever you wanna call it. I want to completely revert back before I began because I might look for another guide.. can someone lead me in the right path?

You keep missing the point here , you can't Boot your console without an SD card after installing a9hl (unless you install Shadow-nand or Aurora a9hl and these currently need some tests ) it needs to run some required files from the SD card in order to boot your 3ds or you will have a black screen , these files are replaceable so you have nothing to worry about; Your console is fine , just finish the steps by injecting FBI again and update your system right after.

Edit :If you want to restore the 3ds to its original state (Remove a9hl), run Emunand9 through luma3ds payloads and flash your Nandmin.bin backup of your 9.2 sysnand to your Sysnand , it should work fine but i fail to see the point.

Last edited by Ghassen-ga,

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@OP If you can boot to Home Menu, check your system version and update to latest FW (via system settings) if it's not already and try again Section V.
After you update, delete "firmware.bin" on luma folder (if you have one there).

If it doesn't work, you can uninstall the H&S for your console/region via FBI and them run the update via system settings to install a clean H&S app and try again.

If it still doesn't work, get the H&S cia from the v11 FW package (on "that ISO site"), install it with FBI and try again.

Health & Safety App ID for Old 3DS EUR (PAL) is:
0004001000022300.cia

SOURCE: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
@OP If you can boot to Home Menu, check your system version and update to latest FW (via system settings) if it's not already and try again Section V.
After you update, delete "firmware.bin" on luma folder (if you have one there).

If it doesn't work, you can uninstall the H&S for your console/region via FBI and them run the update via system settings to install a clean H&S app and try again.

If it still doesn't work, get the H&S cia from the v11 FW package (on "that ISO site"), install it with FBI and try again.

Health & Safety App ID for Old 3DS EUR (PAL) is:
0004001000022300.cia

SOURCE: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list

the dude simply wants to boot his a9hl 3ds without an SD card inserted because he thinks he did something wrong ...Pretty sure he can simply inject FBI now because he restored his sysnand backup and his 3ds is working fine.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Did you actually read the guide?

You will no longer be able to boot without the SD card in, that is normal.
You will now boot a Custom Firmware based SysNAND by default.
You can now hold (Select) on boot to launch the Luma3DS configuration menu.
You can now hold (Start) on boot to launch Hourglass9, an arm9loaderhax safe multipurpose NAND and cartridge tool.

Reactions: Ghassen-ga

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1