Hacking 3DS with DS mode wap connection?Can it happen?

Shin Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hi all..
Im using a 3DS with latest FW ofc and Acekard2i and since i know the DS cant connect to WEP..
I was wondering if i can connect to WaP and play online with a friend

I repeat..I have 3ds and i want to connect to wap router to play DS game online thanks in advance
(i might confused you guys with my English)

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You have it mixed up...
The DS can play WEP, but can't play any of the others.
As for the 3DS, it can connect to any type of wireless (I believe), however if you're playing a game in DS mode (which is the case with Acekard), then you can only connect online if you use a WEP wireless connection.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Okay, people carry on misunderstanding how the WFC system works on DS-Family systems, so I'll explain it briefly.

There's the DS and there's the DSi - both modes have entirely separate WFC routines and they're hard-coded. They cannot be changed, at all.

DS games run via a compatibility layer on both the DSi and the 3DS, on both they can utilize only those functions that would be available to them on an actual DS system (actually less, seeing that neither the DSi nor the 3DS has a SLOT-2 so some games actually have less functionality, but that's besides the point). DSi games on a 3DS can only use those features which would be available to them on a DSi.

Unless a DS game is written with the intention of being DSi-Enhanced and running in DSi-Mode, it cannot use DSi functionality and thus by proxy cannot use WPA connection, ever. There's nothing you can do about it, you can only roll with it.

Similarily a DS could not provide you with wireless multiplayer on GBA games - it just couldn't be done due to hardware limitations.

So in short:

DS games work *only* with WEP connections or with the Nintendo Wireless Adapter.
DSi games work with up to WPA connections or with the Nintendo Wireless Adapter.

Reactions: 2 people

Sascha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Unless a DS game is written with the intention of being DSi-Enhanced and running in DSi-Mode, it cannot use DSi functionality and thus by proxy cannot use WPA connection, ever. There's nothing you can do about it, you can only roll with it.

And I suppose it's just not worth the work to change the rom so it boots in DSi mode? Just curious.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

And I suppose it's just not worth the work to change the rom so it boots in DSi mode? Just curious.
It's not a matter of whether or not one could change the ROM - it's a matter of having to recompile the whole thing. Nobody can possibly perform such an operation without having the source code, and even if one would obtain the source code by whatever means, we still don't have flashcards that actually work properly in DSi Mode. iEvo was close but it's been discontinued.

All in all, if you want DSi features... buy the game.

Reactions: 1 person

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you have windows try connectify.me either that or grab a smartphone and configue it to be a portabler wifi hotspot with wep security
reason for edit: fixed spacing issue

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The

It's not a matter of whether or not one could change the ROM - it's a matter of having to recompile the whole thing. Nobody can possibly perform such an operation without having the source code, and even if one would obtain the source code by whatever means, we still don't have flashcards that actually work properly in DSi Mode. iEvo was close but it's been discontinued.

All in all, if you want DSi features... buy the game.
And the iEvo never supportet Wifi in DSi mode :( So there is no way to play a game from a flashcard with WPA.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you guys don't want your wifi cracked in a matter of minutes, you should be using WPA AES based encryption, which means your flashcarts and old ds games will not work on it at all. However, if any of you have a smartphone (iPhone, Android, I'm sure windows phone will do it too), then if you unlock it you can take advantage of wireless tethering which is what I would do with my old DS since I use WPA encryption on my wifi.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you guys don't want your wifi cracked in a matter of minutes, you should be using WPA AES based encryption, which means your flashcarts and old ds games will not work on it at all. However, if any of you have a smartphone (iPhone, Android, I'm sure windows phone will do it too), then if you unlock it you can take advantage of wireless tethering which is what I would do with my old DS since I use WPA encryption on my wifi.
There are other ways of keeping your network secure, the easiest are using a MAC whitelist and using a static IP list. What good is a network key when you don't know what's the IP range and what MAC's are on the whitelist? I'm using WEP encryption and not once did I have issues with unauthorized access, and I live in a densely populated area. Sure, WPA is obviously a good security measure, but it's not a necessity. Another good way to keep your net secure is using an access point which works only with selected devices alongside the router.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are other ways of keeping your network secure, the easiest are using a MAC whitelist and using a static IP list. What good is a network key when you don't know what's the IP range and what MAC's are on the whitelist? I'm using WEP encryption and not once did I have issues with unauthorized access, and I live in a densely populated area. Sure, WPA is obviously a good security measure, but it's not a necessity. Another good way to keep your net secure is using an access point which works only with selected devices alongside the router.

Well, um, I guess if you want someone to probe from the mac addresses on the network as soon as they have the WEP key and then spoof their mac address to one on the whitelist. That really isn't that hard, as a matter of fact, there are tools scattered throughout the internet for script kiddies to use for that very purpose. I would just really recommend not using WEP and sticking with WPA, even if you can't use your DS games on it, instead I would suggest you just use a different network without any sensitive data on it.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Except he won't be able to do that because even with the WEP key his connection to the router will not be established as the DHCP server will be disabled and he won't be assigned an IP that he could use. The only thing he can do at this point is to try and guess which IP's are within the range and that takes some time, moreover, if all the IP's are in use then he may just as well stop trying.

It's not a definite solution, but it's an obstacle bothersome enough to deter so-called script kiddies. ;)

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean WPA? The DS games themselves are only compatible with WEP routers, so whether you play it on a DS, DSi, or 3DS it doesn't matter, you must use WEP. DSi-exclusive games can use WPA, 3DS games can use WPA2.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean WPA? The DS games themselves are only compatible with WEP routers, so whether you play it on a DS, DSi, or 3DS it doesn't matter, you must use WEP. DSi-exclusive games can use WPA, 3DS games can use WPA2.

What I'm saying is that you shouldn't compromise your network security just to play ds games online and if you have a smartphone you are better off unlocking it and just making a wireless hotspot with wep or no security since it's going to be very temporary just don't do open if you are in a public place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyqoIMLQTzE