3DS Updates End By The End Of The Year?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Wolfy, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Wolfy
    OP

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    Was watching the latest video on The Know and reported that Nintendo is halting all production of Wii U and 3DS related ware by the end of the year.

Other than the fact that there will be no more "Stability Updates".
    What does this mean for the community? ( other than that someone might decide to find an exploit for the final version if at all possible if they bring out a last update for the handheld )

Further use of all the 3DS's processing power?
    Emulators see less updates?
    etc...

2. PaiiNSteven

PaiiNSteven Newbie

Yeah, I saw this and was a tad worried aswell. They haven't said anything directly about 3ds.

3. Wolfy
    OP

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Are you talking about the show or Nintendo? And they will most likely talk about it while discussing the NX.

4. PaiiNSteven

PaiiNSteven Newbie

Neither; I saw the phrase 'wii u' trending on twitter, so i read a few articles and got my facts straight.

5. Wolfy
    OP

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    They won't talk about stopping production of the handheld and console until they talk about the NX, talking about stopping a console while releasing nothing about future plans wouldn't be the best idea in my opinion.

6. ferret7463

ferret7463 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 21, 2010
    United States
    if they do stop with the updates, there will be a small time frame between that and interest by home brew devs to develop for what maybe considered by them to be obsolete hardware.

7. Wolfy
    OP

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    True, but the NX is rumored to be released during the winter holidays, and shouldn't be announced until E3 or something similar. Until then, it'll be "considered" current-gen.

8. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    Nintendo said they womt stop making the wii u at the end of this year

9. Wolfy
    OP

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Never said it was confirmed, just a theory looking at every possibility, and when did they say they wouldn't?
    I hadn't heard anything.

10. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    nintendo might stop producing the wii u by the end of this year and move on to the nx, but they could already have millions of wii u's ready to sell and simply not need to make anymore.
    the 3ds on the other hand there is absolutely no way they'll keep making those and games for those for probably a year after the next handheld is released it's their big seller.

11. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    I really dont see them killing off the 3ds or the wii u. Doing so would just piss alot of people off that either, for some reason, dont want a NX or they cant afford it at the time of release. Its kinda hard to believe that they would just kill something off that alot of people use. I was planning on getting a wii u until I heard that they are haulting production of it. i still use my 3ds alot and id hope they wouldnt kill it off as well with sun and moon coming out.

Tomato Hentai and astronautlevel like this.
  12. Wolfy
    OP

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    The problem is though, they never announced which platform Sun & Moon would run off of. It may not run on the Wii U or 3DS.

13. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I thought the trailer said both games are coming on the "3DS family of consoles."

14. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    As the video said, i think it may be a 3ds/NX release. I dont even recall an actual pokemon game being on the wii u(I might be wrong, never used one)

15. Wolfy
    OP

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    The Wii U did have some Pokemon games, Pokken being the most recent.

16. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
  17. wolven9

wolven9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    Yeah I can see the Wii U stopping production because they are probably sitting on a ton of unsold units, but the 3DS? No way. Its their main money maker atm and still have a ton of games that are coming out in the next year or two.

18. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    Wii u could be possible but not the 3ds lol that things prints money like a goddamn minigun lol

19. Wolfy
    OP

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Just most of the accessories and such will be stopped most likely, but the consoles, yeah couldn't see them just completely stop making the consoles themselves.