Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
ae660583-cef3-24be.jpg
Blue Screen of Death caused by Gateway 3DS card, resulting in a brick

krisztian1997 and bkifft have written some code available on Github which can be run on a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino (models without a 3.3v output will need either a voltage divider or an SD card shield) to unbrick a 3DS.

It requires a hardware mod, (opening up the 3DS and soldering some pins to the eMMC) but never the less, it is now possible without having to send in your 3DS to the Gateway team!

You must have a NAND backup (created previously from emuNAND) in order to restore the firmware after the eMMC has been unlocked and erased.

eMMC Pinout (dat3 only needed if using Arduino): http://gbatemp.net/attachments/vrije-opmerking_20140126_123816_01-jpg.6106/
Code (Arduino): https://github.com/krisztian1997/3dsunbricker
Code (Raspberry Pi): https://github.com/bkifft/RPU
Source: http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-unbricking-progress.361171/

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome news! It's amazing what those guys have done. Let's just hope Gateway doesn't try another method now that this one is fixable.

Reactions: RemixDeluxe

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great news! It also looks like these are the same pins used for dumping your nand (except dat3, which you do not need for that function). Someone should make a commercial product for the 3ds XL that allows for easy dump/restore, unbricking, and extends the battery.

This almost warrants not having to be so afraid of GW 2.0b2... hopefully they won't do more damage in 2.0....

Edit: got double ninja'ed!

Edit2: Now the code just needs to be refined/polished and a compresensive tutorial released for the oncoming noob swarm!

krzz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Awesome news. Now I hope that the Gateway 3DS Team will fix this BSOD problem.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
just a short word of caution: my code unbricked a 3DS already, but it's still wonky as hell, spews debug output all over the place, reports failure even though it succeeds etc. Not really meant for end user usage right now. Heck, it's so prealpha it's omega.

I just cobbled it together to help one user and as a proof of concept. I'll receive a MMC card around wednesday and will try to clean up the code then and even build a more enduser friendly package.

But: It's released under the GPL, so if you want a go and tinker with it: go ahead. Just heed the warnings.

edit: my solution works with the 4 wire nand dump SD interface.

krisztian1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Great news! It also looks like these are the same pins used for dumping your nand (except dat3, which you do not need for that function). Someone should make a commercial product for the 3ds XL that allows for easy dump/restore, unbricking, and extends the battery.

This almost warrants not having to be so afraid of GW 2.0b2... hopefully they won't do more damage in 2.0....

Edit: got double ninja'ed!

You only need the extra DAT3 for arduino (my code ardu code is still untested because I couldnt find a test subject), raspberry pi works with the standard nand dumping wires.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
This is great news. Congratulations to the developers, great work, guys :bow:

krisztian1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Updated first post. It seems that an Arduino is much harder to use than a Raspberry Pi since it requires an extra solder point, as well as a way to regulate the voltage to be 3.3v.

Yes, because arduino is only a small microcontroller, so working with SD card is a bit harder using SPI, while raspberry pi is an entire computer on a board.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Great job, figured this would happen.

Too bad this isn't user friendly at all though. Suppose this enables a couple people to set up de-bricking services for those non-Gateway users, but other than that...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Great job, figured this would happen.

Too bad this isn't user friendly at all though. Suppose this enables a couple people to set up de-bricking services for those non-Gateway users, but other than that...
NAND Flashing isn't user-friendly at all as a general rule - it's something done by people with the know-how. If we had a correctly sized NAND clip, things would look differently. ;)

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Might be able to offer an unbricking service in the UK; I'm setting up my Raspberry Pi now. If the tools seem to be working OK on an SD card, I'll try and brick my 3DS and test this for myself.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I was thinking of offering a uk service, but seems it's already covered :D
Good luck yoshi, and you ways well make a hardware dump while you have the wires connected........just to make 10000% sure :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: