Hardware 3ds turns off automatically

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, a friend of mine has a o3ds that sometimes, turns off by itself when you open it from standby mode, doing a "plop" sould.

Any idea of what could be done? Thx in advance

D

Deleted User

If I remember correctly, it's a loose ribbon cable. I can't remember which exactly but I think it's the camera cable?

Reactions: Arubaro
D

Deleted User

Thx for replying so quickly.
We will see if we manage to fix it
Just be careful not to damage anything when you open the 3DS. I ruined my DSi when I opened it because I wasn't gentle enough with the ribbon cables.

D

Deleted User

Talking about this... my 3DS XL Shut off if it's pressed from the center outside of the Upper Screen, Sometimes I put it on my jeans pocket and that happen, I don't know if it's normal or if it's doing some contact, someone know about it?
Maybe the upper screen's ribbon cable is loose?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
In both of your cases @MAXLEMPIRA and @Arubaro it sounds like the upper LCD ribbon cable is either loose or damaged. To be specific, it's not the LCD losing contact itself that is the issue, it's the speaker ribbon that plugs into the top LCD. The speakers are one of the few things that need to be connected for the 3DS to work - it could work without the top screen, wifi antenna and camera, provided that you managed to connect the speakers directly without using the ribbon cable that plugs in the top screen.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
And how is that? Does it have a fix?
Reseat it and make sure it is all the way in.
No, it's just loose, not broken.
You don't know that. It could have gotten pinched in such a way that it has started tearing slightly so when the hinge is put in a specific position it will sometimes shut off. It shouldn't happen to a console that has never been disassembled, but nothing is perfect.

Voltshock R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does that relate to a delay in possible startup? Like if you turn on the system and the screens are both black and you hear the sound of the menu then it forces itself to shift on? But the action is enough of a delay to notice.
I have been wondering about the hidges since the system has done line random showup (literally random - no rhym or predictability) on my system and it had the hidge squeak when I first obtained (though that disappeared). Not seen on DS games though. Really need to check 3DS titles again.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The popping-and-shutting-off problem occurs if either backlight is disconnected. If the system doesn't boot at all, then yes, as others have said there are several possibilities: 1) the lower screen backlight cable is loose or damaged 2) the upper screen backlight cable is loose or damaged (the tiny one in the top of the housing) or 3) the speaker cable is loose or damaged (connector p7 on the motherboard)

However, if, as in your case, the system does boot and the issue occurs mainly when you open the console up from the closed position, the speaker ribbon cable is actually torn, not just loose. There will be a tear in it that just barely breaks one of the conductors on the outermost edge of the ribbon cable. When the console is fully opened the tiny tear is stressed and the connection is fully broken, causing the system to shut off. When the console is closed or opened gently it may work for a time because the tear is not being stressed and the connection would still be complete, but only tenuously. The problem will get worse over time though. If you open the system up the tear will be large enough to see easily if you remove the speaker cable and lay it out flat. Whenever I get these consoles for repair and look at the speaker cable I'm always astonished they work at all with such severe tears in them.

As The Real Jdbye said though, it's not your LCD. The LCD wouldn't cause the system to shut off. If the upper LCD ribbon cable were bad the system would still boot, but you simply wouldn't see anything on the top screen. It wouldn't be the lower screen backlight cable either since that one is located in such a way that it would never become damaged via ordinary use.

tl;dr version is: replace the speaker cable. It's likely torn.

Voltshock R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your detailed analysis, Smile Citrus. Just side question, the cables which traverse through the hidges, have you ever found them to be tangling together or interfering to cause line distortions on the top screen? Could it also affect the speaker cable in the long run?

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
AH MAAAAAN I HAVE NIGHTHAMRE WITH THIS
because I'm not able to fix my 3Ds that had it yet ... but mine never turne don again ... yet i hope i3i)
anyway some may told you, but in few words, could be the top screen or speacker ribbons disconnected or damaged
good luck there

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your detailed analysis, Smile Citrus. Just side question, the cables which traverse through the hidges, have you ever found them to be tangling together or interfering to cause line distortions on the top screen? Could it also affect the speaker cable in the long run?
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see your message until now.

No, I've never actually seen them become tangled on their own. All three cables are kind of rolled up into a barrel shape and forced through a small metal cylinder, so I don't think it would be possible for them to become tangled unless somebody had previously repaired the system and didn't feed them through the hinge properly when reassembling it. I don't know what would cause lines or distortions on the upper screen. I have seen that occasionally with screens that weren't cracked but in those situations I just replaced the screen without trying to figure out what was wrong originally. But I would try cleaning the connector and the tip of the ribbon cable with isopropyl alcohol just in case it's only a contact issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like it when usps is like delivery expexted Today jk we meant tomorrow