Hardware 3DS Turning itself off while on standby?

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
OP
Trophies
XP
My 3DS has recently started to turn itself off while in standby, the first time it happened I treated as a one off but it has now happened two more times.

I am wondering if this is a known issue (feature?) and if there is any way to fix it.

I never turn off my 3DS so it is impossible to be a case of forgetting I had turned it off myself, when not being used it is left on its charging dock and when turned back on the battery is 100% so it's not a battery low/charging issue.

It has never turned off while being used, and when not being used it's always on the dock so whether it will do the same when not being charged is unknown and very hard to test due to how rarely it seems to happen (three times over the course of a month)

So, um... help :(

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
Could it be because it's constantly on charge that the battery life has dramatically dropped? It's not good to charge electricals all the time ..then again, I wouldn't think it'd drop that often, about how long does it usually last?

jamesaa

OP
Trophies
XP
Battery life is fine, i doubt leaving it on charge all the time would make a huge difference to battery life with todays battery technology and charging circuits - if that was the case my ipod battery would have died a long time ago.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Could it be because it's constantly on charge that the battery life has dramatically dropped? It's not good to charge electricals all the time ..then again, I wouldn't think it'd drop that often, about how long does it usually last?

That was a problem long ago with batteries. The current technology prevents overcharge.

xxNathanxx

Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia
It could be that your battery doesn't fit perfectly in the, er, battery slot. Open up the battery cover of your 3DS and have a look if the battery is firmly stuck, and if it is, if there might be any dust covering the contacts between the battery and the 3DS.

jamesaa

OP
Trophies
XP
You haven't recently acquired a DSTwo have you? Leaving that in will zap the battery.

Nope not that, got a DSTwo, but it's left in DS Lite.

It could be that your battery doesn't fit perfectly in the, er, battery slot. Open up the battery cover of your 3DS and have a look if the battery is firmly stuck, and if it is, if there might be any dust covering the contacts between the battery and the 3DS.

Just checked can't see anything wrong - though i'm not sure how that would of caused the problem when only being left in standby and not during gameplay.

jamesaa

OP
Trophies
XP
Odd. No idea what's going on, then. Have you tried contacting Nintendo's Tech Support?

Was hoping not to. ALL experience i've had with any company regarding tech issues starts with them treating me like an idiot who knows nothing, then after a (frustrating) length of time being moved onto someone who is more knowledgeable but still can't do a damn thing, until almost inevitably it comes to "send it in for repairs" :glare:

But it seems I may have to go that route anyway... joy.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd. No idea what's going on, then. Have you tried contacting Nintendo's Tech Support?

Was hoping not to. ALL experience i've had with any company regarding tech issues starts with them treating me like an idiot who knows nothing, then after a (frustrating) length of time being moved onto someone who is more knowledgeable but still can't do a damn thing, until almost inevitably it comes to "send it in for repairs" :glare:

But it seems I may have to go that route anyway... joy.
Nintendo support is actually pretty helpful.

jamesaa

OP
Trophies
XP
Well was just typing out an email* to them so guess I will soon see.

*No way i'm phoning them, mobile bill will kill me.

EDIT:

Well after typing out an email including all information i thought would be relevant,, i clicked send on their form and..... got an error message.

Lost the entire email, no idea whether it was sent or not (i assume not), but certainly cannot be bothered to retype the whole thing again tonight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: