Hardware 3DS tunneling on WiiU

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Good idea. It'll be awesome, but if it didn't happen for the NDS with the Wii, what makes you think that it'll be for the 3DS and Wii-You?

Because the 3DS and Wii-U are brand new consoles. New consoles have new features, and new apps being released all the time. You can't really judge what the Wii-U will have in terms of features in the same line of the Wii.

Just for reference, this is already possible on the PS3+PSP.

Reactions: 4 people

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah this is a great idea, I do wonder why Nintendo never tried it with the Wii and DS though, they both could connect and the Wii was connected to the internet, seems like a real missed opportunity. It does seem though that someone who know what they're doing might already be able to make such a thing happen through softmodded wiis.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this is unrelated or off topic, but I think it would be so great if Wii-U allowed the 3DS to be a tablet controller, then they could sell a cheaper core system minus the tablet. I would absolutely buy a Wii-U if they did that. But outside of this fantasy, I'm entirely uninterested.

ferofax

End of the World
OP
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
@[member='yuyuyup']
Um, I suppose that would be a good alternative, but seeing as most games developed for the WiiU with the Gamepad in mind are developed with the Gamepad in mind (and not the 3DS), it would be only natural to guess that whatever game features have that support a Gamepad will most likely support only that, unless otherwise announced.

Good idea. It'll be awesome, but if it didn't happen for the NDS with the Wii, what makes you think that it'll be for the 3DS and Wii-You?

Because the 3DS and Wii-U are brand new consoles. New consoles have new features, and new apps being released all the time. You can't really judge what the Wii-U will have in terms of features in the same line of the Wii.

Just for reference, this is already possible on the PS3+PSP.
This is specifically why I mentioned Adhoc Party. Nintendo Connection is supposed to be this robust online infrastructure. If it's so robust, then I see no reason why they (Nintendo) can't do it on their WiiU with the 3DS when the PS3 & PSP can? Unless of course the wireless protocols for the two are so different in actual practice. But then again, the 3DS in and by itself is already a very robust platform for online. I mean, voice chat? That takes a LOT. But the 3DS can do it, so why not tunneling?

Plus, it's more incentive for Nintendo to do it, because previously local-only games now have a chance to shine again when given this opportunity to "bridge technological gaps" and bring these local games online. They'll finally be able to sell more of Starfox 64 3D and MH3U and other stuff because of the new-found freedom and not being restricted to local-only. One would also naturally think of, at this point, online achievements specific to each game. Which would be an awesome boost in itself. The achievements doesn't even have to be in-game (although it could be).

flannelK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be a very awesome feature for the new system, but I dunno how apt Ninty is to implement it, since you'd need a wired connection (or a magical second wifi interface in the WiiU) in order to tunnel the connection. Really wish that they would have just included an ethernet port right along with the other rear ports.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
This would be a very awesome feature for the new system, but I dunno how apt Ninty is to implement it, since you'd need a wired connection (or a magical second wifi interface in the WiiU) in order to tunnel the connection. Really wish that they would have just included an ethernet port right along with the other rear ports.
There most likely will be as ethernet port adapter like on the Wii.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
It'd be impossible to do that on the 3DS. Even ignoring the problem of Resolution, the Wii U controller screen merely streams. It's highly unlikely the hardware it needs to do that so effectively is native to the 3DS. Plus it's missing extra triggers and a stick.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
It'd be impossible to do that on the 3DS. Even ignoring the problem of Resolution, the Wii U controller screen merely streams. It's highly unlikely the hardware it needs to do that so effectively is native to the 3DS. Plus it's missing extra triggers and a stick.
I think you misunderstood what we mean by tunneling, we're talking about the possibility of streaming data across the Internet via the Wii U for local multiplayer only 3DS games like Starfox 643D, essentially bringing online for offline multiplayer only games.

Anyways I'm not sure how well this would work with a platformer like NSMB2, seems like an impossible task to stream that kind of data across the globe without any lag, I mean a millisecond of data loss is enough to kill you in a platformer.
The way I'm seeing it is that because of the limited compatibility list we won't be seeing this kind of functionality for the system.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
3DS is a capable handheld, why not just patch the games to be online! B-)
Sure, just give me your SDK and I'll do it for you. Do you have the server set up for it yet?
( It would be really nice if Ninty would do that FOR us, I know, but I'm not holding my breath :wink: )

Reactions: 2 people

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
I think you misunderstood what we mean by tunneling

Nah, I was talking toyuyuyupabout his "use 3DS as a Wii U controller" suggestion. I should've tagged him or quoted him. My bad.

Reactions: 1 person

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
...since you'd need a wired connection (or a magical second wifi interface in the WiiU) in order to tunnel the connection...
It would be entirely possible for it to be done on the same interface, but still, nintendo doesn't give things away for free.
Probably not, local communication most likely doesn't use 802.11b/g/n (the wii calls it "Nitro" mode) and the network driver (which handles both wired and wireless connections) can only use one mode at a time.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
...since you'd need a wired connection (or a magical second wifi interface in the WiiU) in order to tunnel the connection...
It would be entirely possible for it to be done on the same interface, but still, nintendo doesn't give things away for free.
Probably not, local communication most likely doesn't use 802.11b/g/n (the wii calls it "Nitro" mode) and the network driver (which handles both wired and wireless connections) can only use one mode at a time.
Are you sure about that? The wii u hasn't even been released yet, so how can anyone truly say for sure. Yes, I understand with normal circumstances, this probably would not happen, but if N engineered a driver specific enough for this concurrent multi functionality then I see it as being a possibility. I know in linux I can send out a packet of complete garbage data that does not have a header or even any typical 802.11/802.3 structure to it, all while being connected to an AP. Layer 2/3 will just reject any data that does not follow the standards, thus all that rejected data could easily be data that a 3DS could be set to accept.

Although I've never bothered to do a wireshark analysis or used airodump while transferring some shit from the DS to the Wii, i'm sure that it probably does use standard 802.11 protocols. It's not like you can't make a wireless interface associate and authenticate with multiple AP's at the same time and sending and receiving data. The only problem with doing that is that it splits up the possible bandwidth rather badly and you get a decent chance for more collisions to happen and dropped packets and such, but thats what acknowledgements are for.

Would N ever waste their time, definitely not. I honestly don't even know why I'm partaking in this absolutely pointless conversation anyways.

EDIT: After rereading what you wrote after finally getting some sleep, I think I now understand what you were saying. But as we know, the wii only has bluetooth and 802.11g, and the DS and 3DS only have 802.11b/g. There is no unknown or undocumented hardware on any of those devices that could explain what your are talking about...at least in all that I've read in the past.

EDIT2: After doing a little reading, the only thing that I can find referencing this "nitro" mode was one thing on wiibrew. Other than that I couldn't find anything within the first 3 pages of all my searches.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
What TwinRetro said. Also, the Wii U is already designed to be able to stream to a controller with a screen. what's to stop the 3DS from having similar capabilities?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise