granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo3dsx.jpg
It was posted earlier this week (and back at E3) that Nintendo is warning gamers that the 3D effect on the Nintendo 3DS can harm some people's eyes if used to frequently. This warning is especially strong towards young children, age 6 or younger. Their reasons are that young kids are still in development and the 3D effect could damage their eyes if used too much. Nintendo is heavily recommending frequent breaks for regular gamers as well. Of course, warnings like this are nothing new at all, Nintendo and other such companies have been putting out warnings like this for years now. Mostly due to seizures, such as the mandatory warning screen that pops up every time you power you DS up. They always recommend you take frequent breaks when gaming for long periods. In general, these warnings are set in place to avoid lawsuits from gamers and/or parents who don't read the rules properly and don't understand the "risks".

Though this may seem as if Nintendo is simply taking precaution and warning people to prevent any sort of lawsuit, the possibility of damaging small children's eyes is apparently considered enough of a liability to the company that they have decided to install a software lockout function on every 3DS unit. This lockout is in the form of a parental code. If the lock is activated, the 3D effect will not function under any circumstance unless the user knows the password. Even the slider on the right side of the 3D screen will not function at all if the lock is initiated.

As stated though, this may simply be a precaution to prevent against any potential lawsuits by angry parents or even gamers. Only time will tell if the 3DS's 3D effect will cause any real world harm. Though 3D has been known to cause eye strain and other such issues with people in the past, there's not much to base an analysis about the 3DS' way of doing the effect. [/p]
icon11.gif
Source

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Heh. Good!

If they're anything like me (other than my inability to see most 3D), they would think that it would be worth it in the short-term and ruin their vision for it.

But regrets are for fools, so this is neither here nor there.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you get your kid the first 3D handheld system...and then restrict their access to one of the main features?

Why not just get them a DSi if it's that much of a worry?

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
So you get your kid the first 3D handheld system...and then restrict their access to one of the main features?

Cuz they won't sell them forever?

Also, parents won't restrict the access. Have you ever met a parent / grandparent who doesn't know anything about technology? Or hell, have you ever met an American parent in general? Don't give a rat's ass what their children are doing as long as they're not bugging them.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:

One word......Zelda........

Nah seriously I'm only getting the thing for the games....

Mike&Ike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if the kids are using 3D and it still messes up there eyes, would it be the parents
fault for letting them access the 3D features?

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mike&Ike said:
So if the kids are using 3D and it still messes up there eyes, would it be the parents
fault for letting them access the 3D features?

well Nintendo is tryting to avoid liability for it, as they have tried in the past, this seems to avoid most legal battles.

side note: what if someone disables the 3d without your permission and "forgets" the password?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Nintendo is just covering their own ass by making it look like they've tried to prevent possible damage to the eyes. In reality they don't care and the 3D lock is likely to never be used at all by the general crowd.

Eighteen

Trophies
Website
3DGamelayer.yolasite.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I won't let little kids touch my 3DS anyhoo
glare.gif
... all they do is delete my pokemon save files.. and every other save files for all that matter >_>
not to mention fingerprints all over mixed with drewl...
glare.gif

EDIT: EVEN on the TOP screen
dry.gif
............pff....

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:

I wouldn't say the 3D effect is in any way the main reason i am considering a 3DS. In fact, i'd say it's low on my list. The 3DS appeals to me due to the game lineup thus far. Heck, even though i'm no graphics whore by any means, the new visuals the 3DS provides rank above the 3D effect in reasons i want the system. The 3D effect is really low on my reasons for wanting it.

Maplemage

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Eighteen said:
glare.gif
... all they do is delete my pokemon save files.. and every other save files for all that matter >_>
glare.gif

dry.gif
............pff....
Ikr? Man when I buy a 3DS and my little brother see's me playing a mario game, its to late!

Eighteen

Trophies
Website
3DGamelayer.yolasite.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
tails100 said:
Eighteen said:
glare.gif
glare.gif

dry.gif
............pff....
Ikr? Man when I buy a 3DS and my little brother see's me playing a mario game, its to late!
Yeah totally!!
ohmy.gif

when my brothers 2 little girls come over, I will sooo hide that thing somewhere impossible... like IN my pillow or something
laugh.gif

..They will never ever know I have a 3DS
yay.gif

ericling

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Absolutely brilliant move by Nintendo.
At least parents won't be worrying about their kid's eyes messing up if the parents can't control their kid
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol