3DS to have a "3D lock" for parents

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When you think about it, 3D displays are usually viewed from further away, the 3DS however is very close to your face.
That kind of proximity to a 3D display could very well cause eye-strain.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
johncenafan427 said:
i think it's kinda taking away the main point of the system.
like the wii with no motion sensor, or guitar hero with no instruments.
Really??

wii with no motion sensor = take off wii sensor bar and play Nes games or just play gamecube games
guitar hero with no instruments = use the wii remote(GH3)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those of you who are buying the system thinking the 3D effect will be used for any sort of gameplay extension (such as the DS' touch screen or Wii's motion controls) are in for a nasty surprise. The 3D adds NOTHING the the gameplay at all, besides a potential better sense of depth perception. Though for other people, the 3D effect will hamper the sense of depth for people who have trouble seeing 3D. The 3D is just another form of eye candy. It has always and will always be that way. A simple optical illusion.

Mark my words, NO game will require the 3D effect. There are too many people who can't see 3D for it to be a requirement. It will be restricted to a visual thing. There's not a single gameplay use for the effect i can possibly imagine, even in a Wario Ware game... "Realer than life" is also an incredibly foolish statement. 3D is just an optical illusion. Only in real life do we have true 3D.

I'd actually find it incredibly foolish if the 3D effect was the REASON you're buying the system. As in, you wouldn't consider it nearly as much if it didn't have it. Game systems are first and foremost made for GAMEPLAY, not eye candy and cheap visual tricks. I really enjoy 3D movies and 3D in general, but it is a simple visual enhancement. It is not going to change the gameplay mechanics in any sense of the word.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
They're just covering themselves up, that's all. Just preventing some lawsuits, smart move by Nintendo.
I just hope we real games won't have any problems at all with this, like with Wii Sports it said after half an hour we should go play outside
dry.gif

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I'm glad they've added this feature. When they first announced that children under 6 should not view the systems 3D capabilities due to eye damage, I had wondered if such a feature would be made available. Otherwise children would quickly learn that they could easily slide the slider up and down to get the 3D activated again. This is a good move on Nintendo's part.

JPhantom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS to have a "3D lock" for parents
to keep the kiddies' eyes messing up

this is from the top of the post on the homepage. Shouldn't it be to keep the kiddies' eyes FROM messing up?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
granville said:
Those of you who are buying the system thinking the 3D effect will be used for any sort of gameplay extension (such as the DS' touch screen or Wii's motion controls) are in for a nasty surprise. The 3D adds NOTHING the the gameplay at all, besides a potential better sense of depth perception. Though for other people, the 3D effect will hamper the sense of depth for people who have trouble seeing 3D. The 3D is just another form of eye candy. It has always and will always be that way. A simple optical illusion.

Mark my words, NO game will require the 3D effect. There are too many people who can't see 3D for it to be a requirement. It will be restricted to a visual thing. There's not a single gameplay use for the effect i can possibly imagine, even in a Wario Ware game... "Realer than life" is also an incredibly foolish statement. 3D is just an optical illusion. Only in real life do we have true 3D.

I'd actually find it incredibly foolish if the 3D effect was the REASON you're buying the system. As in, you wouldn't consider it nearly as much if it didn't have it. Game systems are first and foremost made for GAMEPLAY, not eye candy and cheap visual tricks. I really enjoy 3D movies and 3D in general, but it is a simple visual enhancement. It is not going to change the gameplay mechanics in any sense of the word.

Though I agree with you that Gameplay should be considered first, people will buy this for different reasons, and it's their choice to, and most likely whatever you say in that regard will be shoved to the side in their mind anyway. You've already said the same thing twice, just in different words. I don't think saying it again will have the effect you're hoping for.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I just hope that the 3D lock-out code isn't the same one as the M-rated and internet-access lockout code.

EDIT: @ above: I think you've forgotten Brain Age, 3D movies, and how rigged Super Mario Sunshine was with its horrible depth illusions. You would think a regular jump would get you there, but even with the farthest jump you could possible make, you wouldn't even end up half way there.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
granville said:

I'm buying it for that sole fact. It would be a change of pace instead of watching and paying extra for the fail 3D in cinemas. Plus it would be an awesome gadget to rub into my friend's faces. I don't mind about the gameplay mechanics. So long as I know that the details of *snip* would be sharper.
smileipb2.png

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy, I hope we get some more warning screens to sit through to go along with this...

Arithmatics

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
tbgtbg said:
Oh boy, I hope we get some more warning screens to sit through to go along with this...

As if the first warning screen from loading the previous DS' weren't enough.

ehayes427

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
pokeman said:
johncenafan427 said:
i think it's kinda taking away the main point of the system.
like the wii with no motion sensor, or guitar hero with no instruments.
Really??

wii with no motion sensor = take off wii sensor bar and play Nes games or just play gamecube games
guitar hero with no instruments = use the wii remote(GH3)

didn't say it was completely unplayable, just the main appeal of the system.
the wii's shtick is motion sensing, and without it, the wii is just another gamecube that can play nes and snes games, and such.
and guitar hero + wii mote = no.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DigitalDeviant said:
Mike&Ike said:
So if the kids are using 3D and it still messes up there eyes, would it be the parents
fault for letting them access the 3D features?

well Nintendo is tryting to avoid liability for it, as they have tried in the past, this seems to avoid most legal battles.

side note: what if someone disables the 3d without your permission and "forgets" the password?
There's most likely a similar feature as with the DSi, where you can contact Nintendo and acquire a master code to reset the password.

I also think this is a good idea on Nintendo's part. While if I get a 3DS the lock won't affect me, I like the fact Nintendo do this to avoid trouble.
I like it even more when people attempt to make a lawsuit which gets dismissed as it has no standing due to their ignorance. (For example, someone suing for 3DS-related eye damage only for the case to be thrown out because they didn't read the manual.)

Arithmatics

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
ProtoKun7 said:
DigitalDeviant said:
Mike&Ike said:
So if the kids are using 3D and it still messes up there eyes, would it be the parents
fault for letting them access the 3D features?

well Nintendo is tryting to avoid liability for it, as they have tried in the past, this seems to avoid most legal battles.

side note: what if someone disables the 3d without your permission and "forgets" the password?
There's most likely a similar feature as with the DSi, where you can contact Nintendo and acquire a master code to reset the password.

I also think this is a good idea on Nintendo's part. While if I get a 3DS the lock won't affect me, I like the fact Nintendo do this to avoid trouble.
I like it even more when people attempt to make a lawsuit which gets dismissed as it has no standing due to their ignorance. (For example, someone suing for 3DS-related eye damage only for the case to be thrown out because they didn't read the manual.)

It seems too tedious.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I don't think the main appeal of the system is 3D.. Actually I'm only going to be getting the 3DS if there's a good amount of 2D games on it, as in sprites and pixels. That's what made the DS so awesome. The last thing I want is a pop-up book effect on my games!

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like the US boxart will also feature a warning (see bottom)

pilotresort.jpg

European boxart doesn't seem to have a warning on the front, but imagine it will at least have something on the back

4741bdcfbe3fee7ddaf98e1.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?