DryYoshi

Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
granville said:
Vulpes Abnocto said:
So you get your kid the first 3D handheld system...and then restrict their access to one of the main features?

Why not just get them a DSi if it's that much of a worry?
I wouldn't say the 3D effect is in any way the main reason i am considering a 3DS. In fact, i'd say it's low on my list. The 3DS appeals to me due to the game lineup thus far. Heck, even though i'm no graphics whore by any means, the new visuals the 3DS provides rank above the 3D effect in reasons i want the system. The 3D effect is really low on my reasons for wanting it.
I totally have 3D low too.
I just want the goddamn games! Now I don't have to play Starfox 64 at 10 FPS on my PSP.

ultimate.fake.ac

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm looking forward to the 3D stuff, and I agree with this lock for the 3D stuff. It leaves it up to the parents to be responsible for their kids.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ericling said:
Absolutely brilliant move by Nintendo.
At least parents won't be worrying about their kid's eyes messing up if the parents can't control their kid
tongue.gif
Actually, i'm pretty sure most parents will just ignore the lockout function and not give a damn. Most parents seem to ignore their kids' gaming tendencies and don't care. This is nevertheless a very good move on Nintendo's part just to shut up any potential lawsuits. I'm sure there will be complaints from foolish parents who didn't read the rules, but with this function, Nintendo is not responsible for the issues it may cause. The liability is in the hands of the parents. If their kids have issues due to their own parental incompetence for not taking initiative and doing the right thing, it will be their fault and not Nintendo's. They basically won't be able to easily hold a case up in court since they received the warning and neglected to heed it. This is indeed just Nintendo covering their asses, very wise of them i'd say.
laugh.gif

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
Actually, i'm pretty sure most parents will just ignore the lockout function and not give a damn. Most parents seem to ignore their kids' gaming tendencies and don't care. This is nevertheless a very good move on Nintendo's part just to shut up any potential lawsuits. I'm sure there will be complaints from foolish parents who didn't read the rules, but with this function, Nintendo is not responsible for the issues it may cause. The liability is in the hands of the parents. If their kids have issues due to their own parental incompetence for not taking initiative and doing the right thing, it will be their fault and not Nintendo's. They basically won't be able to easily hold a case up in court since they received the warning and neglected to heed it. This is indeed just Nintendo covering their asses, very wise of them i'd say.
laugh.gif

Not me, I'm very happy for this feature
I have a 5 and 6 year old, so I'm locking the 3D

I'm sure the 3D will be cool but I doubt I'll be using it much, unless it's a game that requires it

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case, i'm impressed and respect you for being a good parent. There may be hope for the parenting world yet lol!
wink.gif

And there won't be any games that require the 3D, i assure you of that. The only sort of gameplay enhancements the effect provides is a greater sense of depth, which might help open world games or whatever. Platforming may be easier to judge your jumping distances in or something.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hmm, i got an idea!
Why don't parents get off their fat arses and actually look after their child and keep watch of little kids play times. Other then having to sew companies for not helping them sit on their lazy arses.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
FireGrey said:
Hmm, I got an idea!
Why don't parents get off their fat arses and actually look after their child and keep watch of little kids play times. Other then having to sue companies for not helping them sit on their lazy arses.
Maybe you should learn to spell first.

Regardless, some people will get use out of this, others won't. I don't see what the discussion is about.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
This could be quite a nifty tool apart from it mainly being Nintendo covering their ass, like if you have a friend playing on your 3DS and don't want them to use the 3D features and you don't trust them (perhaps you want longer battery life if the 3D feature has such an imprint, I don't know) you could just lock it off?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
FireGrey said:
Hmm, i got an idea!
Why don't parents get off their fat arses and actually look after their child and keep watch of little kids play times. Other then having to sew companies for not helping them sit on their lazy arses.

Any other time I would agree with you, but since the 3DS is PORTABLE, I doubt any parent will be following behind them at all times while their kid has the 3DS. If this was for the Wii or the PS3 or 360 I would be 100% in agreement with you.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
awssk8er said:
I don't even plan to use the 3D features anyway.
Dude Srsly? whats the point of buying then? you're better off giving the system to me.
yay.gif

RoMee said:
QUOTE(granville @ Dec 30 2010, 09:35 PM) Actually, i'm pretty sure most parents will just ignore the lockout function and not give a damn. Most parents seem to ignore their kids' gaming tendencies and don't care. This is nevertheless a very good move on Nintendo's part just to shut up any potential lawsuits. I'm sure there will be complaints from foolish parents who didn't read the rules, but with this function, Nintendo is not responsible for the issues it may cause. The liability is in the hands of the parents. If their kids have issues due to their own parental incompetence for not taking initiative and doing the right thing, it will be their fault and not Nintendo's. They basically won't be able to easily hold a case up in court since they received the warning and neglected to heed it. This is indeed just Nintendo covering their asses, very wise of them i'd say.
laugh.gif

Not me, I'm very happy for this feature
I have a 5 and 6 year old, so I'm locking the 3D

I'm sure the 3D will be cool but I doubt I'll be using it much, unless it's a game that requires it

Doesn't MOST 3DS games require the 3D? or do you mean it like. for example if its a metroid game or FPS? where you'll definitely WANT to see bullets flying towards ya?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No 3DS game will require 3D, otherwise you wouldn't be able to disable it at all... There are plenty of people who wouldn't want the effect on, many people don't even like 3D at all. Bullets flying out at you or whatever does not actually effect gameplay. It is simply another visual effect being used to wow you. It's as much of a requirement to play a game as anti aliasing is require to play a PC game. Or motion blur, depth of field, and other such visual effects...

I would imagine all 3DS games will have 3D effects, but absolutely none of them will require it to be on in order to play the game. That would be very foolish. There are plenty of people who can't even see 3D effects at all.

You're foolish if you are buying the system only for the 3D effect. That should be low on the list of reasons to get it. And it doesn't even need to be a requirement. It's definitely not going to be the one thing to sell the system.

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I imagine this is just a deterrent for lawsuits and whatnot. Nothing to get too worked up about. Maybe they're afraid it'll end up being like the Virtual Boy v2! Speaking of which, someone should make an emulator for the 3DS when the time comes.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
No 3DS game will require 3D, otherwise you wouldn't be able to disable it at all... There are plenty of people who wouldn't want the effect on, many people don't even like 3D at all. Bullets flying out at you or whatever does not actually effect gameplay. It is simply another visual effect being used to wow you. It's as much of a requirement to play a game as anti aliasing is require to play a PC game. Or motion blur, depth of field, and other such visual effects...

I would imagine all 3DS games will have 3D effects, but absolutely none of them will require it to be on in order to play the game. That would be very foolish. There are plenty of people who can't even see 3D effects at all.

You're foolish if you are buying the system only for the 3D effect. That should be low on the list of reasons to get it. And it doesn't even need to be a requirement. It's definitely not going to be the one thing to sell the system.
If I'm understanding how this console works, you'll be able to change the angle you view certain things in 3D with the analog stick, right? If that's the case, I can see extras or different paths/stories being accessible with that feature. That being said, it's still not required. I see what you're trying to say but the Wii went through the same basic phase where launch games exaggerated all new features and eventually became things where you can either sit down and play or just stand there.

Buying this for the 3D effect is part of the main reason I'm buying it. I lived through the phase of "The Virtual Boy is going to be awesome!" to the end where it became "The Virtual Boy is really really not awesome!" and I'm curious to see how this plays out. Anyways, the 3D feature is part of the graphics and capabilities of the game. Because of 3D certain things will look "realer than life" and I'm extremely excited to see that in a console - especially one made by Nintendo.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
granville said:
In that case, i'm impressed and respect you for being a good parent. There may be hope for the parenting world yet lol!
wink.gif

And there won't be any games that require the 3D, i assure you of that. The only sort of gameplay enhancements the effect provides is a greater sense of depth, which might help open world games or whatever. Platforming may be easier to judge your jumping distances in or something.
How are you so sure?!?
REMEMBER!!!
lecture.gif

Warioware games will definitely gonna use that 3d depth slider thing!
lecture.gif

maybe?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.