3DS to 3DSXL transfer preserving cfw?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Alyx, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Alyx
    OP

Alyx Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Hello all! I recently installed gm9/luma on my o3DS by means of LoZ 4 swords using the 3ds.hacks.guide tutorial and I have a friend that also wanted to do the same to his o3DSXL. Does anyone know if it's possible for me just to create a backup of my 3ds, then do a system transfer to my friend's, then restore my backup essentially making both devices identical? I tried searching in a few faqs but i couldnt find results that pertained to this specific situation.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Alyx
    OP

Alyx Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    oops - if its helps at all, i have b9s installed

3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
  4. Alyx
    OP

Alyx Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Okay, thank you. I just have a problem - can i redownload loz4s on their ds if I log into my account? I don't have it installed my my ds anymore and they never had it on their account

5. Engezerstorung

Engezerstorung Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2011
    France
    no you can only link your nnid account on one 3DS familly console (thats why if you do a backup, transfert to your friend, then restore, your nnid will be on your friend console and not on yours anymore), only way to change nnid to another console is either by doing a system transfert or calling nintendo so they manually unlink your nnid

same for wiiU btw

6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    He was asking if he can redownload the game on the friends console - if he did a transfer to that console then yes, it now owns the game.

7. Alyx
    OP

Alyx Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Alright thanks I am about to go through with everything-- will update soon