3DS titles could cost three times as much to make!?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
empty-wallet.jpg

Higher price for 3DS games compare to old DS games!? Better look into your wallet sooner or later..... [/p]

QUOTE said:
Financial documents from an Asian publisher have suggested that 3DS titles could cost three times as much to make as games for previous models.

According to data from Japanese firm Marvelous, developing for the handheld platform could cost between $600,000 (£375k) and $1.8m (£1.1m) depending on content, 1UP reports.

Statistics from Tokyo Game Show organiser CESA reveal that producing a game for the DS in 2009 cost between $53,000 (£33k) and $527,000 (£329k). PSP development stood at between $36,000 (£22k) and $710,000 (£444k), Wii releases up to $1.4m (£875k), and PS3 and Xbox 360 games as much as $3m (£1.8m).

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata previously hinted that 3DS release could cost more than standard DS titles, though full pricing details are yet to be announced.

The 3DS arrives in Europe and North America in March.
In addition, here is a complementary news regarding upcoming Harvest Moon 3DS.

QUOTE said:
During a recent investor call, Marvelous Entertainment, the publisher best known for its Harvest Moon games, revealed its budget range for 3DS game development. According to the transcription of the call's Q&A session (as translated by 1UP), a Marvelous representative said that, "while costs vary based on game content," the company would spend an estimated ¥50 million to ¥150 million ($600K to $1.8M) on the development of a single 3DS game. Currently, Marvelous has two 3DS projects in the works, a Harvest Moon game and a zoo sim called Animal Resort.

Not surprisingly, Marvelous' 3DS spending money is significantly higher than the ¥4.4 million to ¥43.9 million per title (roughly $50K–525K) Japanese companies spent on developing (regular) DS games last year, according to data gathered by TGS sponsor and promotional organization CESA. More interestingly, Marvelous' ¥150-million cap for a 3DS game represents a figure more than double the cost of the last year's most expensive Japanese PSP title, which, while unnamed, cost ¥59.2 million to develop by CESA's account. (The cheapest PSP game cost its maker just ¥3 million.)

If Marvelous' budget is indicative of other companies' 3DS game costs -- and, certainly, some of these guys are likely to splurge -- then developing for the platform could prove more expensive than for Wii, where last year's most expensive Japanese project topped out at ¥116 million. In an era when budget gaming is dominating the handheld market, and following the disastrous combination of costly PSP game development and rampant piracy, the 3DS could be as ill-fated as the 3D technology that requires you to wear glasses.

Well, that, or it'll just "print money" ... in 3D.

icon11.gif
Source 1
icon11.gif
Source 2

Well, that, or it'll just "print money" ... in 3D.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
While I have multiple sources of income, I'm not much of a fan of an "increase" in price. But to be honest, as long as it isn't over the standard console game price, (Which tends to be 59.99 in North America or 49.99 for PC games. The only exception is games by ActiBlizzard) I won't complain.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I suppose the one good thing about this is WAY less shovelware, meaning that developers will think twice before creating a shitty game unlike now.

Aslong as the price doesnt go over 40 euro for a very good game (think TWEWY en Golden Sun material) and it stays under 30 for other games Im not one to complain, I will probably end up buying it legally.... well most of it anyway

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess:

Budget-priced games will be $29.99.
An average 3DS game will be $39.99.
AAA titles could go as high as $49.99.

But according to that article......maybe add 10 bucks to each category.

Personally, I think my initial guess would be a practical amount to charge for the games. What that article suggests prices could be are just too high to realistically market a 3DS, IMO.

If they start trying to sell a handheld game for 60 bucks, I'll stop bothering with handheld gaming systems altogether. That's just too much money.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Instead of charging more moneis, why not just make better games?
smile.gif
= profit
Unfortunately shovelware such as "Imagine: equestrian" or some shize sells as well if not better than quality games like LoZ

People will not buy a £90-£120 3DS game over here it just ain't gonna fly, Xbox and PS3 games are only £40 new and I'm sure they cost a lot more to develop.

Even if the games are only on par with X360 and PS3 games they will still fail, parents won't want to buy a game for their kids at £40-£50

pieman202

Trophies
XP
Country
3x as much?!!
that's ridiculous for us...
new super mario bros ds is
$68

x3 that would be $204... which at today's currency rates would be $202.90 american...
that's as much as a wii in america... there is no way they could do this =________=
and also australian game prices suck
frown.gif

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Think of it movie-wise like different films have different budgets but you're still going to pay the same amount no matter which movie you see. But yes I think they could up the prices a little, I'm expecting that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: