Hacking 3DS system transfer today- Whats the best way?

Tac 21

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
both Systems are n3DS XL both with luma 9.1 CFW

want to transfer old system to new one with IPS screens,

whats the cleanest way to do this and keep everything in tact?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Back up all your saves and extdata with Checkpoint and/or JKSM.

2. Back up all your games as *.cia using GodMode9.

3. System Transfer your NNID from your original n3DSXL to the replacement n3DSXL (IPS model).
  • You can skip this step if you don't care to about keeping your username and profile.

4. For games you didn't buy from Nintendo eShop, reinstall their *.cia with FBI.

5. Restore the saves with whichever save manager(s) you used.

If you get the funny idea about swapping the motherboards between the two n3DSXL thinking it's faster and easier, please don't gamble on your possessions for expedience.

Edit- Swapped steps 1 and 2 because your game saves are more important than the games themselves.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Tac 21

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks so much! guide says "Build CIA (standard" while I'm sure its enough to get going in this case, what happens if we try "build CIA (legit)" does that change anything or is it not allowed with past out of eshop installed titles?

also my old unit doesn't have NNID which is fine, but the source unit does. I'm sure this will switch to the other with system transfer.. if it does, when I got to remove it, is it safe to do so with godmode9? or will it mess up things on the server side?

as far as what you said on other forum
your almost correct- I would also want to transfer sysNAND to the source 3DS(tn) model so it WOULDNT be the same set of games for both consoles- just a faster transfer of reinstalling games and saves for both consoles... but if a restore doesn't bring all the games and saves back? then its not worth it.

so then I'll have to do it your way and then create a new sysNAND when its all done yeah?

jesus I'm to prepare for all the titles I have... that means I have to backup my GBAsaves separately as well eh?

Last edited by Tac 21,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might have missed answering some of your questions.

thanks so much! guide says "Build CIA (standard" while I'm sure its enough to get going in this case, what happens if we try "build CIA (legit)" does that change anything or is it not allowed with past out of eshop installed titles?

Build CIA (legit) is for SD card titles and games you bought on Nintendo eShop. They are specifically tied to the 3DS and NNID in which they were purchased from. No other 3DS can install them. Build CIA (standard) creates them in a decrypted form that are universally installable. The difference between a standard or legit CIA is whether or not the ticket is spoof/fake or real (hey, I bought this with my own money!). There are universal legit CIAs but these are few and far between from those games bundled with 3DS special editions.

also my old unit doesn't have NNID which is fine, but the source unit does. I'm sure this will switch to the other with system transfer.. if it does, when I got to remove it, is it safe to do so with godmode9? or will it mess up things on the server side?

Your NNID has two parts: on the 3DS that holds it and on Nintendo server which has a record of whichever 3DS that NNID was registered to. Deleting the NNID off the 3DS does not remove the registry on Nintendo server unless you do it officially. I think deleting the NNID using GodMode9 might prevent System Transfer, but I dunno for sure.

Also, you're not allowed to do a System Transfer unless the source n3DSXL has an NNID and the target n3DSXL does not.

You'll have to first delete the NNID on the target n3DSXL, create a NNID on your source n3DSXL, and then System Transfer your (legit bought) games.

jesus I'm to prepare for all the titles I have... that means I have to backup my GBAsaves separately as well eh?
Yes, it will suck big time for GBA VC as was mentioned in the other thread. I'm sorry there's no better (safe) way to do it. :(

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Tac 21

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks for all the support- I should be go to go... my source system had NO NNID and getting rid of the NNID on godmode9 from the target system seemed to work fine

how do the SD cards work? can I just swap them over once its done?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for all the support- I should be go to go... my source system had NO NNID and getting rid of the NNID on godmode9 from the target system seemed to work fine

how do the SD cards work? can I just swap them over once its done?

You can share the SD card between two or more 3DS systems.

The games and saves found in the Nintendo 3DS folder is uniquely encrypted or tied to the n3DSXL that it came from.

You may ask, what happens if I take an SD card with a pre-existing Nintendo 3DS folder and use that card on another 3DS?

If you do this, the second 3DS will ignore the contents made from the first 3DS.

Let's say your two n3DSXL are as followed: 3DS (A) and 3DS (B).

Each of their games & saves are installed in separate subfolders in the Nintendo 3DS folder.

Nintendo 3DS
\<ID0>
\<ID1>
\etc.
\<ID0>
\<ID1>
\etc.
\private (dunno what this is for)​

Tac 21

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
major thanks for you help- it was tedious and it took a day but its been fully restored

I wonder since I used GM9 to remove NNID if its still effects being on the console? perhaps it only effects if buddy wants to sign in to another system, not effecting my consoles at all.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
major thanks for you help- it was tedious and it took a day but its been fully restored

I wonder since I used GM9 to remove NNID if its still effects being on the console? perhaps it only effects if buddy wants to sign in to another system, not effecting my consoles at all.

If you removed an NNID on a 3DS through GodMode9, a record of that NNID tied to that 3DS will still be remembered on Nintendo's server. Your friend can't use that NNID because it's still technically yours as far as Nintendo is concern. The only way your friend can receive your old NNID is if you did a System Transfer to his 3DS. *

* You might be able to get it back if you call Nintendo verifying who you are, so that they can unlink that NNID from your old n3DSXL in their records. Not sure how your explanation will fly in their face without mentioning GodMode9 and if they at all allow NNID recovery.

Tell them you lost your n3DSXL and you would like to unlink that NNID from their server record, and would like to put the NNID on your replacement n3DXL (which is actually your friend's system). They should be cool about this... Your friend's 3DS cannot already have a NNID of his own in place, and you may need to verify his system as your own stating the serial number and what.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."