Hardware 3DS shuts off a second after powering it on with a popping sound

darkangel5000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello there.
I recently got the 3DS of my fiances sister to do a nand mod. I installed everything correctly, dumped the nand, unsoldered my work and tried to boot it up.
But it just flashed the bottom screen when powering it on, then it suddenly shutted off with a popping sound. When I put the 3DS to sleep mode before it powered off by itself and then opened it up again, I could see the content of the bottom screen for half a second as if nothing was defective, well except that it would make that popping sound and it'd shut off again.

I read somewhere that the ribbon cables to the top half could be damaged, so I ordered a new screen and a new sound ribbon cable, installed them and tried to boot that fucker again - but this time it'll just turn off in about a second.

... So, anyone here has an idea what's wrong with it? I can't check specific parts against my own 3DS since I gave it to her, as long as I have hers and I'm not going to see her for a while.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If everything was working fine and then it stopped and the system is shutting off as described. I'd check all the cables one more time especially the power ones of the LCDs, is this for a original 3DS? non XL? Just re-seat all the cables and give it a ago.

darkangel5000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've reseated all the cables, made sure that they sat flush in the connector. But nope.
And what do you mean by saying "the power ones of the LCDs"? The broader ribbon cables or the ones which are for the backlight/touchscreen/3D-control?

darkangel5000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
make sure the sholder button cables are plugged in the right orientation.
I did but that didn't do the trick.
And looking at this rather adventerous setup, the fuses shoudln't trip in the first place with not connected shoulder buttons:
http://blog.avrnoob.com/2014/05/lets-quickly-fix-nintendo-3ds-shuts-off.html

Having worked with a bit of electronics, something turning off with a popping sounds sounds like a fuse or breaker is tripping... Check all your connections and check for shorts is all I can say.
Checked for shorts of all kind. But nothing seemed to work ;(

/edit:
Got the 3DS to boot up again. This time I plugged the charger in and it worked. Pulled the charger out and -poof- it goes pop and shorts.
I checked the fuse near the battery connector with a multimeter and it seemed to be fine. Could it be the fuse or rather the capacitor next to it?

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I did but that didn't do the trick.
And looking at this rather adventerous setup, the fuses shoudln't trip in the first place with not connected shoulder buttons:
http://blog.avrnoob.com/2014/05/lets-quickly-fix-nintendo-3ds-shuts-off.html

Checked for shorts of all kind. But nothing seemed to work ;(

/edit:
Got the 3DS to boot up again. This time I plugged the charger in and it worked. Pulled the charger out and -poof- it goes pop and shorts.
I checked the fuse near the battery connector with a multimeter and it seemed to be fine. Could it be the fuse or rather the capacitor next to it?

Maybe ordering a replacement battery might help, something could be tripping a breaker/fuse somewhere in the system and the battery could be outputting bad voltages.

19cookies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My old 3DS did this when I got it after the post man had dropped it though the letter box O.o One of the connectors where the battery goes had been bent :/

MiCH431

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My N3DS LL (japanese) is doing something similar to this... The only way I can get it to work is with the battery in and the charger plugged in as well. As soon as I remove the charger it turns off.

The battery isn't broken or short on charge, I've put in my o3DS and it works normally there.

I haven't found a solution yet :(

darkangel5000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The battery isn't broken or short on charge, I've put in my o3DS and it works normally there.
This. It did work normally in my 3DS, I could switch the batteries as much as I wanted to without getting a positive result.
Also the battery connector pins seem to be intact. Again, measured everything with a multimeter and everything seems to be correct (no cold solder joints/pads or something)

MiCH431

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I went out and bought another n3DS.

I tried switching its secondary board (The one that the battery and C-Stick connect to) with my broken n3DS. It didn't fix the problem, and now that secondary board appears to be broken. Neither of my n3DS works with a battery now.

It appears my 1st n3DS mainboard has broken both secondary boards in a way that they no longer work with a battery.

LemmyT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happened to me on my N3DS and it's very important that you make sure the ribbon cables are all firmly connected. If, for instance, you flipped up one of the smaller ribbon cable connectors where you should have just pulled out the cable, it won't get the proper connection and the 3DS might do as you described. You can fix it by just firmly pressing down on those connectors without the ribbon cable in place and then slide it in, making sure that the connection is firm. I had to disassemble and reassemble my device many times before I got it to work again. Make sure you also screw everything back in before testing because allegedly some screws are used as grounds and it won't work without them. I actually broke a motherboard trying to fix this so be very careful.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I have my 3ds XL open right now, which cables are the cause for it to turn off when opening all the way?
2017-10-13_20.07.05[1].jpg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Has anyone else had success getting this fixed by replacing the ribbon cable with a new one or will I be wasting 15 bucks buying a replacement speaker ribbon cable?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)