3DS sd card curropted... Trying to save data, but extdata files seem impossible to recover. Any way to save my game saves?

DaMegaTaco

OP
Trophies
Website
nookazon.com
XP
Country
United States
My SD card corrupted after trying to boot into god9 after without realizing I needed to update it, or at least I think that is what caused everything to go bad, and after that my luma3ds firmware seemed to be corrupted. After resetting my PC into safe mode in hopes of deleting the files the whole SD card was being shown as corrupted and I could not open it. I have tried using disk recovery tools such as disk drill, recoverit, and testdisk although even though the files are on there it seems it will be difficult to recover them without losing the directory structure where I would just have random files with no idea what folders they fit in. I was able to make a .dd file with testdisk that seems to be able to recover the files with the directory structure, but the extdata folder within the Nintendo 3DS folder seems to be impossible to recover, but from what little research I did it seems that the save data is in the titles folder. Although I don't think I had my account registered with an email or address either so I am not sure if I can get the save data that I would even be able to access it since I wouldn't have the same account profile. I honestly really don't know what I am doing here and just trying to figure it out as I am going along hoping that I can somehow save it.

I ended up using testdisk trying to see if I was having the same issue with the boot partition needing to be fixed or something like this person had and hoping their solution would work for me, but so far it doesn't seem to be leading to any results besides making the .dd file

If anyone could help me save the data on this SD card it would be really appreciated. I have a new SD card coming in tomorrow as I am trying to avoid formatting this one until I can safely get the data off of it and confirm that I can reload it onto an SD card for my 3DS without losing anything in case it is possible so any advice in the meantime would be super helpful.

Edit: So I think I have recovered most every file except a few besides the extdata folder that seems like I can not recover... I am hoping that's just the installed game files and stuff though rather than the save file. I might even have a backup of my SD from before I installed the CFW where I think I used the profile that I started using after, but I am not sure. Where would the user profile information be saved on the SD? Again any help would be extremely appreciated.

Last edited by DaMegaTaco,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but from what little research I did it seems that the save data is in the titles folder.
That is correct. Only a small number of games use extdata.

Where would the user profile information be saved on the SD?
I don't know what "user profile information" you're thinking of. The only thing that really matters is the encryption key, which is only changed when you do a System Format or a System Transfer. That's stored internally in the NAND, not the SD card.

DaMegaTaco

OP
Trophies
Website
nookazon.com
XP
Country
United States
That is correct. Only a small number of games use extdata.

I don't know what "user profile information" you're thinking of. The only thing that really matters is the encryption key, which is only changed when you do a System Format or a System Transfer. That's stored internally in the NAND, not the SD card.
Do nintendogs or tamodachi use extdata?

"user profile information" = the nintendo account my save games are associated with. So even if I use emuNAND it still is saved in the sysNAND?

If so I might just be in luck, but am still going to wait to format my SD card until after I test out the files that I was able to recover from the SD card

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
According to https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Extdata - yes, actually, Nintendogs+Cats does use extdata. But it doesn't say what for – it could just be for videos or something.

Also, please be more careful with your spelling.

"user profile information" = the nintendo account my save games are associated with.
There is no such thing. Your NNID is used to download games from the eShop and has almost nothing to do with your save data. (The sole exception is Badge Arcade.) As I said, your save data is encrypted with an encryption key.

So even if I use emuNAND it still is saved in the sysNAND?
Save data is not stored in the NAND. Were you even using an emuNAND? Almost no one is anymore.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

"user profile information" = the nintendo account my save games are associated with. So even if I use emuNAND it still is saved in the sysNAND?

If so I might just be in luck, but am still going to wait to format my SD card until after I test out the files that I was able to recover from the SD card
If you were using emuNAND, but you never formatted the emuNAND or sysNAND after creating it, they still share the same SD data encryption key, so you can get the data back.
I suggest not using emuNAND anymore, there hasn't been a point for a long time.

DaMegaTaco

OP
Trophies
Website
nookazon.com
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap!!!! YAAAAAAY!!!! My save data is still intact. Not sure how, but it seems I managed to also still have the installed games working... Are they actually saved to the sysNAND or something? Also not really sure how to set it up to boot into sysNAND vs emuNAND, which it might actually be setup to use the sysNAND if the 3ds.hack.guide website didn't suggest me to setup emuNAND. I honestly don't remember as I did it a while back. Anyways guess I am going to keep working on setting up everything again, replacing all the badges I had on the homepage, and reinstalling anything I need to reinstall as well as backing up my saves for WCS. Thanks again for helping me understand things better

Edit: Seems like some of the games aren't there, but it looks like all the ones I really cared about are still there so that's lucky.

Edit 2: Even though some of the games seem to be working I should probably do a clean install of each game and all the homebrew right? Just to make sure there aren't some parts of the data that are corrupted right? Or would I be fine if I just didn't bother with it and only reinstalled it if they ended up crashing at some point while playing or something?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure how, but it seems I managed to also still have the installed games working... Are they actually saved to the sysNAND or something?
NO, the installed games are not saved to the NAND. I would have thought that was clear from the other replies thus far.

DaMegaTaco

OP
Trophies
Website
nookazon.com
XP
Country
United States
NO, the installed games are not saved to the NAND. I would have thought that was clear from the other replies thus far.
That's what I thought, but was just surprised I could even get some of the games to run from the files I was able to recover as it didn't seem that I recovered anything large enough to be a full game file.

Anyways the old data kept causing the SD card to corrupt so I tried starting with a fresh set of files. Although I wanted to check rustys real deal out, and besides the issues with getting it to work without the e-store working anymore, I tried applying the old save file and it keeps saying they are corrupted when I try to start it. I haven't tried it with any other games yet, but any ideas why it would say the save is corrupt after using JKSV to dump the save files from the old SD card data and applying it to the new card data? If it doesn't happen with other games I guess it just has to do with rusty's, but I'll update once I try it out with another one of the games that I extracted save data from.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Although I wanted to check rustys real deal out, and besides the issues with getting it to work without the e-store working anymore, I tried applying the old save file and it keeps saying they are corrupted when I try to start it. I haven't tried it with any other games yet, but any ideas why it would say the save is corrupt after using JKSV to dump the save files from the old SD card data and applying it to the new card data? If it doesn't happen with other games I guess it just has to do with rusty's, but I'll update once I try it out with another one of the games that I extracted save data from.
You are going to have to provide more details about exactly what you are doing. I don't even know what you mean by JKSV; isn't that a Switch program? How are you using it to dump the save files from the old SD card, and how are you applying it to the new card? And why aren't you using Checkpoint?

DaMegaTaco

OP
Trophies
Website
nookazon.com
XP
Country
United States
You are going to have to provide more details about exactly what you are doing. I don't even know what you mean by JKSV; isn't that a Switch program? How are you using it to dump the save files from the old SD card, and how are you applying it to the new card? And why aren't you using Checkpoint?
JKSM not JKSV... It's on the universal updater and I am more used to it since I use the switch more than the 3DS where I honestly forgot checkpoint was a save data manager on the 3DS. I might set up my original SD card with the old data and use checkpoint to extract the data and try to install it on the new SD, but I'm going to try and install tomodachi life first and see if restoring the save data will work fine with it. As far as rusty I am not really worried about the high scores and more so just wanted to avoid having to go through the whole process of getting through the story to unlock every game again, but I might just deal with it if the saves for my other games work without having to

Edit: Tomodachi life seems to work fine when I recovered the save data so I think it might just be Rusty's that has issue because of the weird mechanics with the game being heavily reliant on the e-shop and everything or something like that.

DaMegaTaco

OP
Trophies
Website
nookazon.com
XP
Country
United States
I've never read anything about how the save data for Rusty's Real Deal works, except it uses Anti Savegame Restore, as per https://www.3dbrew.org/w/index.php?title=Anti_Savegame_Restore . It is quite possible that Checkpoint may handle it better than JKSM, as JKSM on 3DS is very old.
Good to know in case I have to deal with anti savegame restore with any other games... I should probably be fine without it since I am really not worried about the progress I had made and only having to deal with unlocking everything. I think I should be good at this point though, but if I have any other issues I'll make another post.

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know in case I have to deal with anti savegame restore with any other games... I should probably be fine without it since I am really not worried about the progress I had made and only having to deal with unlocking everything. I think I should be good at this point though, but if I have any other issues I'll make another post.
If anything else happens, (I'm surprised NOBODY mentioned this), try using Roadkil's unstoppable copier. It's a really underrated program that saved my Wii files once.

DaMegaTaco

OP
Trophies
Website
nookazon.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that is a very useful program, but the OP suggested that the file structure was unreadable and that files were being copied from a .dd image, in which case it's beyond what Unstoppable Copier can deal with.
Well actually I made the .dd image from the corrupted SD card, but still have the corrupted SD card. That being said I do have another 8tb hard drive that started having issues recently that's totally unrelated so it might actually end up being a useful suggestion if I am unable to have success with disk drill or reoverit (if I still have the free trial by the time the replacement arrives).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That would've gone slow he's old +1