Hardware 3DS scrolling issue

Devon093

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope this is the correct forum, not sure who to ask.

Hi all. I have a 3ds original model that scrolls itself down. Ive narrowed it down to the dpad, but the button itself is not shorting, i think it may be an IC but i cant trace it back.

This video here shows the 3ds scrolling without thr dpad buttons attached. Any and all help is welcome. Im willing go put more effort into this than is necessary ;)

EDIT: SOLVED. THANKS TO USER TESTERFAN. See below.

Last edited by Devon093,

smichal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm pretty sure I had seen a video sometime ago, where someone had a similar problem, which he fixed by peeling some kind of sticker surfaces on the board (in the d-pad area) and cleaning some black residue that had accumulated behind it.

I searched for it again but I can't seem to find it now. So you could look into that carefully if you want.

Edit: Nvm, you seem to have already done that, I found an image which shows what I'm talking about
XxRcYe1DGGVSJ5hM

Last edited by smichal,

Devon093

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could it be dirt on the sides of the touchscreen? I've seen other people have their home menu acting wonky due to that.

I had suspected that, but in the video you see the touchscreen is actually unplugged, which i believe eliminates that as a possibility.

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
software update won't do anything for you. This is either due to BGA IC chip failure (marked U4 on the board, if you can read it), it controls all touch inputs, analog stick, audio, and other stuff (sometimes when it fails, touch screen won't respond to touch, or you won't have audio from speakers). Or if it's an old revision motherboard, this might be due to a resistor and/or capacitor failure, that sit in between CPU and traces leading to the corresponding D-pad button. These can be found under the game slot (must be removed for repair)

Devon093

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
software update won't do anything for you. This is either due to BGA IC chip failure (marked U4 on the board, if you can read it), it controls all touch inputs, analog stick, audio, and other stuff (sometimes when it fails, touch screen won't respond to touch, or you won't have audio from speakers). Or if it's an old revision motherboard, this might be due to a resistor and/or capacitor failure, that sit in between CPU and traces leading to the corresponding D-pad button. These can be found under the game slot (must be removed for repair)

How will i know if i have an older revised board? I would much rather replace a resistor than a chip, since i believe its the PAIC3010B chip and its looks quite difficult to swap. I may try to remove the cartridge slot later on to check it out

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
well, if the touch screen and analog joystick both work and you have sound through the speakers, then the IC chip is probably fine. The older revision of the motherboard is CTR-CPU-01, and under the game slot you'll find the array of resistors (outlined in E and F grids). On newer revisions of the boards, all of those are missing and just replaced with golden plates. So, if you have an older revision board - you'll need to remove R118 resistor first, if that doesn't help, then remove R54 and it should stop scrolling

Devon093

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, if the touch screen and analog joystick both work and you have sound through the speakers, then the IC chip is probably fine. The older revision of the motherboard is CTR-CPU-01, and under the game slot you'll find the array of resistors (outlined in E and F grids). On newer revisions of the boards, all of those are missing and just replaced with golden plates. So, if you have an older revision board - you'll need to remove R118 resistor first, if that doesn't help, then remove R54 and it should stop scrolling

Dude you're a KING, i removed r118 and the scrolling stopped.. But the dpad is working still? Should i still replace the resistor?

Devon093

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, need to replace it, as I said, in later revisions of the board, all those resistors are completely gone, so they not necessary for the D-pad to function properly

Thanks again.. Im very happy right now. One last question are there any other forums you use for repairs or modding? For all consoles. Just wondering because an answer like yours are usually what im looking for.

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
no, I don't post anywhere else, as I mostly busy with repairs (which I was doing for the last 4 hours), so sometimes I may not check what's going on here for several days, but if you need to find me, i'm on eBay under the same username (I offer repair services for all Nintendo systems there, and some for PS4)

Luke050

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

I have a similar problem but in NEW 3DS. For a few moments after turning on everything works fine but later the screen starts to scroll itself maybe this is important, usually the screen scrolls diagonally, not only up and down. When I slightly bend the console. Sometimes the direction of the scroll changes I think this is a malfunction on the motherboard. Do you know which element on the motherboard in new 3ds is responsible for this?

I live in Poland so shipping to you would be long and expensive and probably the price would be higher than the price of the Used Console. :(

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't have much knowledge about New 3DS, they are pretty rare here in US, I think I only fixed a couple, as opposed to thousands of regular 3DS and 3DS XLs. It has the same chip as old models, and it sits behind microSD card slot (if you remove the card slot - you'll see it). But from the description of your problem - I don't think it's the issue, if you have to bend the system slightly and then it starts to scroll - then this is most likely due one (or more) of the CPU chip legs not making proper contact with the board. I've seen this issue maybe 4-5 times on old 3DS XL motherboards only, though it's a much bigger board, and easily bendable, which is usually how this problem occurs. It's not repairable, because the CPU chip is filled with sealant, so it can't be reflown

Luke050

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok
I turned on consoles with disconnected analog stick d-pad c-stick L R Buttons. And touch connector. screen continues to scroll diagonally. So motherboard is The issue:(

So reflow this element will not Change anything?

Attachments

• 20170822_091642.jpg
    20170822_091642.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 439
Last edited by Luke050,

Luke050

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't have much knowledge about New 3DS, they are pretty rare here in US, I think I only fixed a couple, as opposed to thousands of regular 3DS and 3DS XLs. It has the same chip as old models, and it sits behind microSD card slot (if you remove the card slot - you'll see it). But from the description of your problem - I don't think it's the issue, if you have to bend the system slightly and then it starts to scroll - then this is most likely due one (or more) of the CPU chip legs not making proper contact with the board. I've seen this issue maybe 4-5 times on old 3DS XL motherboards only, though it's a much bigger board, and easily bendable, which is usually how this problem occurs. It's not repairable, because the CPU chip is filled with sealant, so it can't be reflown

For exampl now only work c-stick .
Analog . D-pad , Touch not working and it is no scrolling

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
no, reflowing this BGA chip doesn't do anything, it never lifts from the board like CPU does. If it's defective, it can only be replaced with a new one to fix the system, but i don't think it's the problem with your board. If you always have sound and touch screen functionality (when it's plugged in) - then this BGA chip is fine. Also, if you're checking something, don't disconnect the analog stick, because without it - it's normal for the system to scroll for about 30 seconds, and then to stop. To check if it's the CPU issue - disconnect the touch screen only, put the back cover on, plug the battery and see if it scrolls when you twist the system from side to side

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: