OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Nick Ricks, Producer at TT Games, is making a Nintendo 3DS version of Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game. What’s interesting is their handheld version for the 3DS is a direct port of the Wii game.

While presenting the portable game, Ricks mentioned the team used the assets from the Wii version for the Nintendo 3DS release. Ricks commented that the Nintendo 3DS has roughly the same power as a Wii and said lighting is actually better on the 3DS.

Being a port, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game for Nintendo 3DS has the same content as the Wii version. Well, with two differences. The game runs in 60 FPS (frames per second) and 30 FPS in 3D mode. The pop out effect from the stereoscopic screen is used to highlight collectables. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game also supports StreetPass with on the fly pirate battles. Think rock-paper-scissors with three kinds of sword strikes (low, mid, and high). StreetPass mode is the only way to unlock certain characters and alternate costumes for Jack Sparrow on the 3DS version.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/02/lego-...ii-to-3ds-port/

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Seems about right considering it'll need a whole lot of that power just to emulate the 3D effect. The drop in FPS with 3D is a clear sign of that. It's probably not close to the Wii's power, it just seems like with given the small screen. And the LEGO games aren't necessarily the best in line in terms of need for powerful processing...

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really isn't the same power. The guy's just trollin'.

The 3DS has smaller screens, meaning less amounts of power to achieve what LOOKS like Wii-like graphics.

If you want power, get the NGP.

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
It really isn't the same power. The guy's just trollin'.

The 3DS has smaller screens, meaning less amounts of power to achieve what LOOKS like Wii-like graphics.

If you want power, get the NGP.
Actually if you add up the resolutions of the screens then the Wii and the 3DS aren't too different. Yes the 3DS' res is still smaller, but not by a big enough margin to give it a significant boost. It's not surprising that the shaders are better though, they're based on much newer tech than the Wii graphics hardware.

rauthelegendary

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
In the same way that the NGP is capable of 'PS3 graphics'. Yes, the 3DS can produce graphics which look close to or maybe even equal to the Wii. That doesn't mean the hardware is equal as well, the resolution on the 3DS is much lower and therefore the hardware doesn't have to be as powerful. Just like the NGP isn't even close to being as powerful as the PS3.

The shader effects of the Wii are quite lacking. It's not all that strange to see that the 3DS is capable of better lighting.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
The better lighting seems possible, shader technology's come a long way since the Wii.

That's the thing that really stands out for me with 3DS. None of the other games are impressing me too much, but when you look at the fur shading in Nintendogs + Cats, it looks very much on par with the fur shading seen in parts of Super Mario Galaxy. Impressive, indeed.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Smoother gameplay =/= Raw graphic power.

If you look at it, the Wii games has been nothing but redefined graphics from the PS2 era. The only difference is that the Wii enhance the gameplay animation, aka smoother gameplay. The Nintendo 3DS is just nothing but a 3D version of a DSi. Smoother gameplay with 3D technology.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
Rydian said:
The better lighting seems possible, shader technology's come a long way since the Wii.I thought the Wii and 3DS still used fixed pipelines?Considering mobile phones can do shaders there's no excuse for a brand-new handheld focused at gaming not to at least support basic shader functions. (like GeForce-6 level). The Wii does, but we're not sure on the 3DS yet, and the mention of better lighting really makes me think they are using proper shaders.

QUOTE(Canonbeat234 @ Mar 5 2011, 11:53 AM)
Smoother framerate does, however. The less time each frame takes to render, the more you can fit in a second.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:

If you look at it, the Wii games has been nothing but redefined graphics from the PS2 era. The only difference is that the Wii enhance the gameplay animation, aka smoother gameplay. The Nintendo 3DS is just nothing but a 3D version of a DSi. Smoother gameplay with 3D technology.

The jump from the DSi to the 3DS is more akin to a true generation jump like from the N64 to the GC, as it's capabilities go far beyond that of the last generation. The jump from the DS to the DSi is more akin to a mid-generation jump like from the GC to the Wii, as it's capabilities are still similar to the last one, but with a boost.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Rydian said:
cwstjdenobs said:
Rydian said:
The better lighting seems possible, shader technology's come a long way since the Wii.I thought the Wii and 3DS still used fixed pipelines?Considering mobile phones can do shaders there's no excuse for a brand-new handheld focused at gaming not to at least support basic shader functions. (like GeForce-6 level). The Wii does, but we're not sure on the 3DS yet, and the mention of better lighting really makes me think they are using proper shaders.

QUOTE(Canonbeat234 @ Mar 5 2011, 11:53 AM)
Smoother framerate does, however. The less time each frame takes to render, the more you can fit in a second.

If I recall some dev said that the 3ds is using real shaders now. I mean, just take a look at Resident Evil ? There's specular + bump mapping all over the place, I don't think they would add this without proper shaders.
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

It's true. In raw like-for-like unit power, the 3DS is on a par with the wii.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
3DS is a system with a visual capacity like the first Xbox (do not compare with power) and a horsepower between PSP and PS2. So NO.

Now 3DS is more powerful than Wii because it has OpenGL support?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: and nvidia is already doing ARM