Hardware 3DS retail version with games arrived (Hong Kong)

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vigilante said:
Right the 3ds has region lock so how can you play us games if your 3ds is jap version?

regular DS games aren't region locked.
there's just a small handfull of DSi "enhanced" games that are region locked.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
bigpaws said:
We can presume they fixed all normal dsi carts so no need to test them
however the few that have a chance are dstwo, iplayer, and ievo
maybe not the dstwo and iplayer use more power due to there cpu whihc may be detected by the 3ds and the ievo pretends to be a ds/dsi hybrid card and as far as I know the dsi cards have more protection so it may actually be easier to detect it.
I think the other dsi compatible cards may still work if there are no new ways to filter them out due to the limited security of regular ds cards or just because nintendo didn't really see the point in upgrading there protection for old ds games

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
doyama said:
ChrisRX said:
croagunk.master said:
Did Nintendo tell you that? You know, you really shouldn't go presuming things. DS flashcarts didn't work with the DSi and loads of people tried running their old flashcarts on the DSi and none of them bricked. If the 3DS doesn't read the flashcarts, of course it won't brick it.
You shouldn't go presuming things either. It's highly unlikely but it's not a completely impossibility. In the same way you can say of course my house won't fill with jelly, it's very unlikely but it may still happen.
You're presuming just as much as he is and until someone tests it there may be a chance that there is software or hardware set to disable if a cart attempts to fake the security checks.

I would say it is impossible that Nintendo would intentionally put in code to brick a 3DS if it detected a flash cart. This is not out of some benevolence to hackers. It's a cost issue. Inevitably anything like that is going to generate false positives. Even if it's 1% that's a lot of support calls you have to field (even if you outsourced, you pay them to handle x volume per day and if you go over you start paying through the nose), support costs to fix false positives, or even determine the eligibility of support. Sony/MS have taken similar stances. They basically take away the one thing you want, online support through PSN/Live. They don't remote brick your console. Bricking your console is a risky business no one wants to get into simply from a support cost perspective.
Nintendo would never do this -- it's vigilante justice. They would get themselves in trouble because of it and they know it.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
check this offer out... its gonna finish in around a week
its quite cheap too 3ds just 270$ and its gonna ship latest by 2nd march

it seems like the 3ds wave has begun and in a few weeks we might have 100000 sold

Peculiar they claim it's shipping from Maryland.

I was in Japan during the PS3 launch. There were definitely people from HK in the lines trying to buy up whatever they could. They were pretty devious too, taking advantage of the politeness of the Japanese. In one line in Akihabara, a girl jumped into the line. Even I kinda assumed she was just joining her boyfriend or something. My other friend, from HK ironically, immediately ratted her out to security. She panics and leaves. I see her join a group of 10 others with a stack of PS3s they'd all bought! Also the HK airport customs part is very lax. As long as it's in a suitcase no one really cares what's inside.

So I understand if HK has stacks and stacks of 3DS', but I think you'd have real problems getting that many 3DS' from Japan to Maryland

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shabutie78 said:
Vigilante said:
Right the 3ds has region lock so how can you play us games if your 3ds is jap version?

regular DS games aren't region locked.
there's just a small handfull of DSi "enhanced" games that are region locked.

I thought it was only the DSi Store that was locked, but carts were not. I know the DSi Store is region locked because the recent Sudoku DSi hack was only available in specific regions due to the DSi Store not carrying the same stuff.

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How the hell is he supposed to know if a flashcart passed if the flashcart itself hasn't been developed for 3DS? Flashcarts use GUI specific to the DS, so if you force it on another device you are likely to obtain a black screen or something like that. What if he says that the DSTWO didn't pass, but in reality passed just fine?

Also, Nintendo isn't THAT dumb. They should have fixed the security flaws present on the DS and DSi by now.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the only thing that can be done is check voltage but then what if a cart like pkmn ss uses more power
what with infered and all
i think they would need another method
and since dstwo appears like a regular ds cart and simulates one then why not?

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
doyama said:
I would say it is impossible that Nintendo would intentionally put in code to brick a 3DS if it detected a flash cart. This is not out of some benevolence to hackers. It's a cost issue. Inevitably anything like that is going to generate false positives. Even if it's 1% that's a lot of support calls you have to field (even if you outsourced, you pay them to handle x volume per day and if you go over you start paying through the nose), support costs to fix false positives, or even determine the eligibility of support. Sony/MS have taken similar stances. They basically take away the one thing you want, online support through PSN/Live. They don't remote brick your console. Bricking your console is a risky business no one wants to get into simply from a support cost perspective.
Nintendo would never do this -- it's vigilante justice. They would get themselves in trouble because of it and they know it.

I suppose if they REALLY wanted to they could say "it only affects hackers legit customers have nothing to fear" "we are protecting the integrity of our system" blah blah blah. Sony's been doing a pretty bang up job on that front recently.
tongue.gif

But as I said, businesses are about money. If bricking a console is going to cost you $100 to repair (which isn't unreasonable with phone support, mail in, etc), and we even assume a low 0.1% failure rate. For the existing 30 million DSi consoles thats a failure rate of 30,000 which is $3 million in support costs. Not a lot for a big company like Nintendo, but try selling that idea to your boss. That's what we call a CLM.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SSVAV said:
How the hell is he supposed to know if a flashcart passed if the flashcart itself hasn't been developed for 3DS? Flashcarts use GUI specific to the DS, so if you force it on another device you are likely to obtain a black screen or something like that. What if he says that the DSTWO didn't pass, but in reality passed just fine?

Also, Nintendo isn't THAT dumb. They should have fixed the security flaws present on the DS and DSi by now.
But the 3ds is compatible with DS/DSi games, so the flash cart should just load in DSi mode.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
person66 said:
SSVAV said:

But the 3rd is compatible with DS/DSi games, so the flash cart should hopefully just load in DSi mode.
Fixed.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
It is likely that nintendo will have blocked the read speed via the cart port.
The new 3DS carts are 2gb non SDHC and the read speed will be different to say a microSD for example.

As its has just been released there maybe some way around using a DSiWare exploit.

Also the 3DS updates itself automatical in the background via wifi.We need to find away to turn this off.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Also the 3DS updates itself automatical in the background via wifi.We need to find away to turn this off." Ummmm, there's a on/off switch on the side for wifi.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
DarkMario616 said:
Isn't there a wifi switch?

And it can't connect to a wireless router if there's a WPA/WEP password on it...
smile.gif
There is a wireless switch, yes.

But I thought the updates may come via games as well?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
awssk8er said:
Do people really expect flashcarts that worked on the DSi to work on the 3DS without any updates or anything?...

Nintendo is much smarter than that.
No harm trying though
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Briefcase 69 did I win